Sick kid

Cman84

I have a sick 8 month old.if i call into work and take him to go to the dr.will the dr write me a note excusing me from work.i hav 2 occurences in the last 90 days.one of them i had a drs note for.any advice is helpful

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I have a sick 8 month old.if i call into work and take him to go to the dr.will the dr write me a note excusing me from work.i hav 2 occurences in the last 90 days.one of them i had a drs note for.any advice is helpful
You got sick option days?

UPSmechanicinblue

I have 2 optional days but i dont know if i can use them like a sick day.im in central states

Effective May 1, 1980, all seniority employees (including part-time employees) shall receive two (2) optional holidays as provided above. (Note: One (1) of the optional holidays is in lieu of the negotiated sick day, effective the same date.)

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I used to mess up so bad, my wife never would trust me again. You have to lose the prescriptions and forgot what the doctor said.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
Let them know. If your kids are sick they are first priority. Things come up. Most of my sick days are for when my kiddos are sick. Good luck. UPS always forgets the human factor.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Take your kid to the doctor. When you call in explain the situation maybe they can hook you up with a option day, maybe not but it doesn't hurt to try

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
shouldn't be a problem. call them and say you have a sick kid. always get a note from doctor if you need it or not. one supe may say you don't need it while another may say later they want it. try to cover all the bases.

if they give you a hard time , talk to a steward and file a grievance . family always comes first even if you have to take a hit for them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
10+ years
Do you realize, as a father, you're entitled under FMLA for up to 12 weeks off following the birth of a child? You can apply for "intermittent FMLA" and take your 12weeks off as separate single days (or several days in a row, or single weeks as needed). That way, when you need a day off to care for your baby....they can't peg you for attendance issues.

I don't know if you're a FTer or PTer...but PTers can still qualify for FMLA up to 6 weeks off.

Last edited:

HollandMan73

Yes.....FMLA......you should be able to get your other occurences scrubbed as well. Plenty of info on fmla on the d.o.l. site. You'll be fine. Just don't abuse the fmla as they can terminate you for that.

I would just call and explain yourself to them. It could be a "family emergency" I've seen it happen a few times and they kinda just slide it under the radar. Just as long as its not a weekly thing.