Sick of the Brown

Rapture

Local hub at the Hancock airport. Syracuse, ny. It's a joke, none of the supers communicate. All the workers with seniority have been there for 10+ years and hardly do anything besides moving cans and driving the belt and pay loader. An ex marine that thinks hes still in service whom is just a regular employee but acts like hes law. Sexually harrasses about every female that works there and nothing is ever done about it. A early morning start supervisor that is on some high horse who acts like she is invincible. There has been several positive covid confirmations at this hub. The whole thing is one big joke. They never rotate early start time workers. They always keep the same people. I definitely will not be retiring from this place. My last check during "Peak"was just over 100 bucks. I will not be recommending this job to anyone....ever. Also, I've been trying to get off of sundays since I started. They come up with every excuse as to why I cant be moved or taken off the schedule. Any tips so I can go to my union rep and see what she could do for me?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Local hub at the Hancock airport. Syracuse, ny. It's a joke, none of the supers communicate. All the workers with seniority have been there for 10+ years and hardly do anything besides moving cans and driving the belt and pay loader. An ex marine that thinks hes still in service whom is just a regular employee but acts like hes law. Sexually harrasses about every female that works there and nothing is ever done about it. A early morning start supervisor that is on some high horse who acts like she is invincible. There has been several positive covid confirmations at this hub. The whole thing is one big joke. They never rotate early start time workers. They always keep the same people. I definitely will not be retiring from this place. My last check during "Peak"was just over 100 bucks. I will not be recommending this job to anyone....ever. Also, I've been trying to get off of sundays since I started. They come up with every excuse as to why I cant be moved or taken off the schedule. Any tips so I can go to my union rep and see what she could do for me?

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya

Toodlelou

over9five

Staff member
Definitely not a job for everyone. Good luck wherever you end up.

Rapture

Lmfao stealing company time. You mean when union workers stand around with nothing to do and still get paid for it. If you were in my hub, youd know what I was talking about. But your not. So you dont. I've been here almost a year and it's been to long for me. 2 hours a day of this work is cake but it's the miscommunication that drives us all nuts.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
There there. It'll be ok.
tenor.gif

WTFm8

It's not that the job is hard, because it's definitely not. But the people... the supes never communicate. It's just nuts. disorganized

IDK, I really like getting the ORS worked up when him and the building manager send conflicting messages on who to help, to run a missload or not, etc.

I always do what the building manager says as ‘priority’. ORS says to help someone but then building manager says run a missload 15 minutes away? Missload first then call person that ‘needs help’. Maybe they’re a 30 min drive from when I just delivered to... and by time I go to them they’d only have 15-20 stops left and tell me not to bother LOL

Rack em

Made the Podium
IDK, I really like getting the ORS worked up when him and the building manager send conflicting messages on who to help, to run a missload or not, etc.

I always do what the building manager says as ‘priority’. ORS says to help someone but then building manager says run a missload 15 minutes away? Missload first then call person that ‘needs help’. Maybe they’re a 30 min drive from when I just delivered to... and by time I go to them they’d only have 15-20 stops left and tell me not to bother LOL
That's the spirit! Messing with management at every opportunity is what really keeps me going.

Rapture

Yeah, I feel bad for these drivers. They never know what they're getting into until they pull up.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Lmfao stealing company time. You mean when union workers stand around with nothing to do and still get paid for it. If you were in my hub, youd know what I was talking about. But your not. So you dont. I've been here almost a year and it's been to long for me. 2 hours a day of this work is cake but it's the miscommunication that drives us all nuts.

Lemme guess you still live in moms basement and your main activities are video games and smoking weed

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Or, you could just slow down and do the job right

Benefits

Rapture, welcome to the brotherhood of Teamsters and this message board.
Airports are a different breed, the contracts usually don't apply them. You're also a part-timer, so the contracts are different for you then the full-time drivers. UPS and the teamsters are not what they were in the past.

Sadly you would have made far more this past year if you were a PVD or Seasonal.
To those who tell the newbies, to suck it up..... quit whining.... punch a clock, work as directed and shut-up. Read a contract, (that basically doesn't cover them, or sure doesn't during peak, or when we're essential workers.

This newbie, paid the same darn initial dues, that pay for the retirees pensions and healthcare.
They are someone who actually cares enough to come here and learn, talk, ask questions. Knock them down all you want to. Call them a whiner.... complainer... But don't expect them to care, that retirees pensions and healthcare changes. They may tell them to quit whining and complaining.

OP- UPS has changed as has the "brotherhood" of Teamsters. There are better jobs out there, ones where you don't have to work every darn Christmas eve forever. Where you can actually request a holiday week off or one day of the week. Don't know your specific contract or hub- Not possible in mine, doubt possible in yours.

Looking forward, with how airports work under contracts, no one will choose to go to work there. It's just not worth the time and energy if you are not a driver or wanting to become one, (not everyone does)

Good luck to you- Make sure to request your union card when you leave, in case you ever get a job with the union again. That way, you won't have to pay another initiation fee. Be grateful you only spent a year here, you can walk away, it's not your career. I've spent longer... But I too will be leaving. Grateful I can, feel for those that invested more time in and actually think, they will make it to retirement someday....