Sick on first day of probation

Rawrzxor

Figures, right? I may have strep throat or it could be allergies or some kind of cold; but, I went in anyway, cause it wasn't too terribly bad, and I really didn't want to miss my friggin' first real day.

Luckily, this happened with the weekend between me and Monday, so I'm hoping this goes away by then, but I doubt it based on how I'm feeling tonight.

So, if I'm strep throat sick, or just feverish will they hold that against me for probation, if I call in?

I'll be able to get a doctors note if I'm too sick to work, but I'm worried about making a bad impression already.

I'm willing to white knuckle through next week if missing a day, or even several, will hurt my image, but obviously I'd rather rest if it's that bad.

Will they pop me if I call in sick so soon in my employment?

Chicken soup and lots of liquids. Go to a doctor and get some antibiotics like a z pack and rest. Go to work Monday. You'd be surprised what you can do when you need something. Do you need this job???

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Figures, right? I may have strep throat or it could be allergies or some kind of cold; but, I went in anyway, cause it wasn't too terribly bad, and I really didn't want to miss my friggin' first real day.

Luckily, this happened with the weekend between me and Monday, so I'm hoping this goes away by then, but I doubt it based on how I'm feeling tonight.

So, if I'm strep throat sick, or just feverish will they hold that against me for probation, if I call in?

I'll be able to get a doctors note if I'm too sick to work, but I'm worried about making a bad impression already.

I'm willing to white knuckle through next week if missing a day, or even several, will hurt my image, but obviously I'd rather rest if it's that bad.

Will they pop me if I call in sick so soon in my employment?
Are you seriously kidding??? Oh no, my throat hurts...I can't hump cardboard, I'll call in sick during my first week. Take two tampons and call me in the morning.

upschuck

I have gone in many times when I felt sick, and actually felt better as the day goes on. Would not look good calling in the day after Super Bowl, legit or not. Rest up go to doctor today if still feeling bad so you can get your first couple doses in you before Monday.

Indecisi0n

When I was a casual I went in no matter how bad I felt. Guess if you really want the job you will push through. Sometimes I wish I hadn't lol.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When I was a casual I went in no matter how bad I felt. Guess if you really want the job you will push through. Sometimes I wish I hadn't lol.
dcab3a82c263dfbfe4a6121336ef239e402dadce7e68b7fa9a1c2e1463129a5b.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Strep is contagious---stay home and rest.
And can be serious :censored2:. My wife used to get strep once or twice a year. One time she had a temp of over 104 and was literally just laying in bed shaking she felt so cold. I'm pretty sure she couldn't have done any job that day had she even really wanted to.

Ps. I don't think the op has strep and should be fine to go in Monday.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Honestly, I'd go in and let them know I was sick. Perhaps they have enough staffing whereas your services won't be needed, or they could cut you early, or at least be aware why your performance is lagging. It's one of the worst cold & flu seasons ever, so they should be understanding. Oh wait, I forgot, UPS hires the biggest total morons* into management, so probably not. (*Excludes most of those current and former managers who participate on BrownCafe.)

In the past ten years or so, I've only had one call-in but that's because of my own greed. I've went into work so sick my performance was barely acceptable, and I know I've gotten others sick. My only call-in was because my butt was glued to the toilet and while you can work through most illnesses, that one's a little more challenging. Several peaks ago I worked through a 40-hour week with pneumonia; one day my manager told me if I didn't feel any better, not to come in the next day, since she didn't need me getting her and others sick during the Holidays. So I left a message with the dispatcher the next day saying my manager was aware I had pneumonia and I would return to work the following day ... which resulted in my manager immediately returning a nasty voice mail saying 'Bagels, we have things to talk about... per-contract a call-in during peak is an automatic termination and if you're not here today, you won't have a job tomorrow.' Of course, I knew it was B.S. but I went in, anyway, and made sure to cough every time I walked by her.

Rawrzxor

No need to go to the extent of saying I have a pusillanimous. Idgaf if I'm dragging at work(in the sense that I will go in, no problem, if that's the general convention or expected); I really want the job, because I'm planning to work for UPS for a very long time; however, on the same scale, I don't know what the sickness paradigm is, there.

A lot of places of employment mandate that you stay home if you're contagious, since you'll ultimately decrease productivity by getting other people sick. I personally think it's rude to come in if you don't have to (in Japan, they're required to wear surgical masks if they're sick for the same reason), so I was just wondering how that worked at UPS.

Thanks everyone else. I'll go ahead and just tell the sup that I'm sick on Monday, so if my productivity isn't as good as it should be he won't think I'm just being lazy.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No need to go to the extent of saying I have a kitty. Idgaf if I'm dragging at work(in the sense that I will go in, no problem, if that's the general convention or expected); I really want the job, because I'm planning to work for UPS for a very long time; however, on the same scale, I don't know what the sickness paradigm is, there.

A lot of places of employment mandate that you stay home if you're contagious, since you'll ultimately decrease productivity by getting other people sick. I personally think it's rude to come in if you don't have to (in Japan, they're required to wear surgical masks if they're sick for the same reason), so I was just wondering how that worked at UPS.

Thanks everyone else. I'll go ahead and just tell the sup that I'm sick on Monday, so if my productivity isn't as good as it should be he won't think I'm just being lazy.
It may be rude, but I'm not burning a sick day just because I have a cold and may be contagious...