Sick Time

bsd2natc

Hey! I'm a part-time reloader and temporary cover driver (not driving during low-season). In October last year I elected to use Option 3 for my vacation/sick days and receive the days as individual, ad-hoc days throughout 2013. I've had some health issues resulting in taking 4 days, plus 3 days for personal time, which used my option days up. This week I came down with a pretty nasty case of stomach flu and had to take a couple of days off. I have had an excellent attendance record in previous years but have had some issues this year. My supervisor informed me that he will be writing me up for taking time off sick and that I am not allowed to take any further time off during the year outside of my two weeks' vacation.
1) Can UPS discipline you if you are sick and have no sick time remaining?
2) When does a doctor's note need to be furnished - does this help the situation?
3) The Union handbook states that management will grant unpaid time off when it is available. During the summer, several employees of lower seniority than I are laid off for several months. Does this not mean that unpaid time off would be available as there are 'spare' employees?

10veleze

Bring a copy of you medication if you're taking any, a doctor note and file a grievance. Happened to me, actually like two weeks ago got sick bad and admitted to the ER for two days, they tried to write me up and treat me to fired me. Don't let them play their nasty mind game. Gain your respect no matter how..... Good luck

Hey! I'm a part-time reloader and temporary cover driver (not driving during low-season). In October last year I elected to use Option 3 for my vacation/sick days and receive the days as individual, ad-hoc days throughout 2013. I've had some health issues resulting in taking 4 days, plus 3 days for personal time, which used my option days up. This week I came down with a pretty nasty case of stomach flu and had to take a couple of days off. I have had an excellent attendance record in previous years but have had some issues this year. My supervisor informed me that he will be writing me up for taking time off sick and that I am not allowed to take any further time off during the year outside of my two weeks' vacation.
1) Can UPS discipline you if you are sick and have no sick time remaining?
2) When does a doctor's note need to be furnished - does this help the situation?
3) The Union handbook states that management will grant unpaid time off when it is available. During the summer, several employees of lower seniority than I are laid off for several months. Does this not mean that unpaid time off would be available as there are 'spare' employees?

Nimnim

The Nim
Attendance is one of those fun issues. You've used up your optional paid time so anything from here on out counts as an occurrence. If you have a note from a doctor most sups will let things slide, bring it with you when you come back. If they're being hardasses then they can write you up. If you called in it'll start with a documentation on your employee record. If you have a note and they write you up like then file a grievance, talk to your shop steward for a form and help writing it, and just include a copy of the note as well. Odds are good your grievance will win with a dr note, but if it doesn't you've still started the paper trail to fight any progressive discipline.

Last edited:

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
No employee should ever be disciplined if they have a valid doctor's note. A trained physician's experience in the medical field will always trump a UPS supervisor's. Most of the threats that result from this are usually from PT supervisors that: 1) don't understand how discipline works at a union workplace & 2) are willing to lie and threaten their employees if they believe their daily numbers will be affected by an absence.

For employees with chronic health conditions (arthritis, carpal tunnel, back problems, etc.) that can flare up after being diagnosed and likely resulted from the wear and tear on the body from working at UPS, I always recommend filing FMLA paperwork. This gives PT employees who worked at least ~375 hours in the previous an additional "bank" of 6 weeks per year.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It would be nice if more people knew about their options. I wonder why the answer to a question like this is so commonly unknown.

Last edited:

stink219

They are REQUIRED to PAY you for your sick and personal days that were negotiated. You ARE NOT LIMITED to that amount. YOU ARE NOT LIMITED TO THAT AMOUNT! YOU ARE NOT LIMITED TO THAT AMOUNT! YOU ARE NOT LIMITED TO THAT AMOUNT! YOU ARE NOT LIMITED TO THAT AMOUNT!