Single Day Vacation Denied

Packmule

Last week I put in for a floating SDV this week. I was 10 days in advance, and the only one asking for this day. I'm also the second highest seniority driver in our building.
I was denied, "no coverage."
Should add we have two drivers off due to long term injuries.
My question is, can they do that? I'm under the impression they are required by contact to honor these days as requested up to the prescribed limit in your building.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Per contract, yes they can be denied due to "no coverage". We have had a problem with no part-timers wanting to sign up for the SDV coverage list. Over the last three years, I have been denied a single day vacation when requested at least 10 times. I have been programmed to just call in any any day wanted.

Sounds like that needs addressed for the next contract. We don't have single day vacations nut we have personal days.
They have to give us a certain percentage off regardless of coverage.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Tit for tat, failure to staff accordingly to accommodate contractual rights isn't your problem. I'd have no problem calling out if this was my center. I can assure you your route won't be sitting, did they just :censored2: a driver out to cover it?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
One reason is if you are seen out running around town when you're supposed to be sick, you might get terminated!
You don't to call in sick if you are not in fact ill. Don't lie. I just call in and let them know I'm taking myself out of service for that day. They will burn a SVD from you anyways.

Packmule

Who said he was sick? I'd just tell them I won't be in for the day, they don't need to know why. The less they know about my outside life the better, they aren't my friends.
Can't see this being accepted at all. As for this time, I'll talk to our steward about grieving it, and suck it up as my reason this time is flexible. I'm concerned because next month I have a couple of very important events going on and I'd like to have the issue resolved with integrity on both sides.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Can't see this being accepted at all. As for this time, I'll talk to our steward about grieving it, and suck it up as my reason this time is flexible. I'm concerned because next month I have a couple of very important events going on and I'd like to have the issue resolved with integrity on both sides.
You're second in seniority and still don't have the balls or know how to call in?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I have grieved it and lost. Approval of vacation days will be at the discretion of the employer.
I now request these days per contract, but if denied, I call in on the day needed. At least I give them a heads up 8 days in advance that I won't be working that day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have grieved it and lost. Approval of vacation days will be at the discretion of the employer.
I now request these days per contract, but if denied, I call in on the day needed. At least I give them a heads up 8 days in advance that I won't be working that day.
Yeah. Sing day vacations they can deny for pretty much any reason. Option days they have to give X amount.

Packmule

You're second in seniority and still don't have the balls or know how to call in?
Since gaining considerable seniority, I've never been denied. Before that, if I was sick I had no problem calling in, and fully understood otherwise there were rules you played by, not just for the sake of your customers, but for your coworkers who were sure to get slammed if you didn't show up. Guess I'd rather be known as a person who has the balls to own my responsibilities that one who uses them to play games at everyone else's expense.
Nevertheless, I appreciate EVERYONE who responded. Learned there is a difference in the legalities of a personal and a SDV. Will be keeping that in mind. And if I can, I'll grieve this and see what happens.