Six weeks!!!

1989NW

So we have six weeks until our current contract expires. When will the new contract proposals be released, and about when do they call for the voting?

DriverNerd

Yes. I believe the strike authorization was a bluff, and UPS knows it.

Our negotiators would never even consider using that authorization to call a strike.

Agreed; I think it was intended to be used as a scare tactic, but with over 90% voting for it, they actually have it to use as such. I think UPS realizes now with that vote that maybe their employees really are pissed off at the way things are done.

On the second point, UPS is gonna have to say "last, best, and final offer" again if there is any chance the Teamsters would strike. And I don't think UPS is dumb enough to say that again. They'll just continue going back and forth until the contract is ratified, even if it goes past the expiration date.

Blackstream

This has been the least amount of info I have heard about negotiations since I have been with the company. Call me crazy but I feel we are going to get a good contract.
Is your logic behind this that if we were in danger of getting a bad contract that the union would be leaking the :censored2:ty proposals to rile us up against UPS, like they did last contract? Like the $90 per week healthcare premium thing.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
Is your logic behind this that if we were in danger of getting a bad contract that the union would be leaking the :censored2:ty proposals to rile us up against UPS, like they did last contract? Like the $90 per week healthcare premium thing.
Just a hunch. Society today shames companies that crap on employees, all the while handsomely rewarding CEO's and the like. I feel like UPS doesn't want that shame. They certainly don't need it. I guess we will find out in 6 weeks. I hope I am right, obviously. It's a much different time now than '97.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
Agreed; I think it was intended to be used as a scare tactic, but with over 90% voting for it, they actually have it to use as such. I think UPS realizes now with that vote that maybe their employees really are :censored2: off at the way things are done.

On the second point, UPS is gonna have to say "last, best, and final offer" again if there is any chance the Teamsters would strike. And I don't think UPS is dumb enough to say that again. They'll just continue going back and forth until the contract is ratified, even if it goes past the expiration date.
I can see us working peak without a contract as well. How long have they strung along mechanics and pilots? Could we be next? It's definitely possible.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I can see us working peak without a contract as well. How long have they strung along mechanics and pilots? Could we be next? It's definitely possible.
Our numbers crush the pilots and airline mechanics.... it’s not even close... we won’t be working 2 years without a contract....can you imagine the backcheck for something like that???

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
Our numbers crush the pilots and airline mechanics.... it’s not even close... we won’t be working 2 years without a contract....can you imagine the backcheck for something like that???
The last mechanic contract I heard of some guys getting $100,000 retro checks. I work on the planes every night, particularly the 747's. We are always talking to those mechanics. A lot of those guys worked a crap ton of OT because they knew a big check was coming.