Sketchy helper

bobdobalina

So, I had a helper for about a week and last Friday he phoned me to tell me he quit and got his old job back that he was laid off from. He wanted to meet me and turn in his uniform and get his check and that was that. Kid seemed like a decent enough guy, though he told me he did have a criminal drug history (I can't believe they don't do more thorough background checks).

Well, this morning I get a call from him telling me he hurt himself and he thinks he did it on the job. I'm like okaaaaaay. He didn't tell me anything before hand, it was like some kind of revelation that it happened over the weekend or something.

Anyways, I said well I doubt there's anything UPS can do for you as you didn't tell me and I can't report anything if I don't know about it.

He called this afternoon telling me that he was going in to talk about it with my manager. I have a feeling tomorrow I'm going to get interrogated about this and they're going to try and place some kind of blame of this on me.

Sketch ball people are awful. I'm starting to think that he had this schemed up all along.

Anyways, should I worry about this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This happens more often than you may think. People with pre-existing injuries get hired for Peak, claim they were hurt on the job with the hope that the company will pick up the tab. You have nothing to worry about but as was mentioned above you should have as steward with you if and when you meet with management.

Background checks are expensive. Veteran HR folks do a good job screening less than desirable candidates but some do slip through the cracks. You won't get many pillars of society for $8.50/hr.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You did nothing wrong and don't walk into the office thinking you did.

Tell them he never said he hurt himself while working for you and that the last day he was fine from the first stop to the last. He's scamming the system and your honesty will help them send this loser packing.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You'll be fine. UPS fights tooth and nail against 20 year employees when they have a legit injury, you think they won't go the distance with a 20 day employee. You work for the same company as I do right????

Thebrownstreak

Don't worry about it. Even if they do bring you into the office, you don't have anything to worry about. Tell the truth about what happened . Its a yearly occurrence that helpers claim to get hurt. I'd say 8 in 10 of the cases are not legit.

Marne Vet

We get a handful of these dirtbags every Peak. They work a few days, and then they start with the "My leg feels funny", or "I think I did something to my back". A few of them will go out on an "injury". The kind that's hard to prove. Soon as my helper(s) starts whining I say "Hey kid, been doing this every day for 20 years. Throw a tampon on it and lets get moving. Physical work equals physical pain. What did you think you were signing up for?" These kids now-a-days are just soft.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would have called my Center as soon as I hung up from that call to let them know about it. He didn't complain about any injury the day it supposedly happened, too bad for him.

barnyard

KTM rider
We are going through this right now at our center. Manager thinks she is trying to get UPS to fix an old injury.

To answer your question, tell them what you wrote up here. Repeat that he never appeared injured to you, never reported anything and if you never saw him slip or fall, tell them that to.

cino321

Being that he didn't come in on Friday and quit, and now on Tuesday is saying he has an injury, I'm sure your boss will most likely be on your side with this one.

alwaysoverallowed

This is how is going to go down. The company will ask you if he got hurt or asked to leave(you'll say no because that's the truth). Helper will fill a claim with the state when ups doesn't respond to the helper. HR rep will go before the board or write a letter saying an injury report was not filed for the day in question pull up delivery logs for that day and the helper will be on his way. Happens every year in my district keeps our HR guy busy between handing out papers with corporate numbers on them in response to our questions.