Skill Pay - Local Sort

UrbanRunner

Texas Biker
Before my last raise, I got $0.50 or $1.00 more per hour while working a skilled position on Local Sort. I work at a small hub in the Southern region and was hired during this last contract. When my last raise kicked in, to $11.00/hour, I stopped getting the additional $ during my sort hours. My supv says he's still using the same pay codes. My BA says you only get skill pay for smalls so my previous additional may have been in error. I scan, sort, bag, and load the NDA packages going to the airport during the sort (this is not over in the dedicated smalls section). After the sort I drive the air to the airport and get air pay.

Should I still be getting skill pay during sort time, or was that just a mistake previously?

unloady

I work preload. It is my understanding that all employees on my shift earn the same rate of pay regardless of posistion or job. I started at $10.50 (california minimum wage) and earned 50 cents upon completion of my 30 days. I have more than 3 years in the company and i currently make $13 an hours (50 cent raises every year with a dollar raise every THIRD year) I started off as a preloader and i sucked at it and they switched me to sort aisle quickly after. Worked sort aisle for 2 years, and unload for 1. Our building uses scanners so no sort test was required to attain a raise. Everyone in my building recieves the same starting pay/raises regardless of job classification. I am Currently an unloader. Im not sure if local sort uses different rules as i have never worked the afternoon shift. I work in southern california, not sure how your supplement works.

Nimnim

The Nim
I don't have much knowledge of preload shifts, but I am in the southern region as well and on my midnight sort they've removed the skill pay(for new people) for small sort and the sort isle as they put NGSS(I think that's the acronym) in small sort and the sorters have scanners now. I haven't seen any language in the southern supplement about skill pay for pt workers, but the national has article 22 section 5, with subsection b which I believe you're covered under. It sounds like you've been here for about 2 years as you said your last raise brought you to $11/hr. 22.5(b) says that Preloader/sorter starts at $11/hr and all others are $1 less, 2 years in on the all others would bring you to $11/hr. I don't know why you'd be getting $0.50 more at times since the difference between preloader/skilled and all others is $1. Something is screwed up, but I don't know if you were benefitting or being screwed and if it's being corrected now or still in error.

As it sounds like you're on the preload I would inquire with your BA if you are considered a preloader/sorter or not and why which will then make it easier to follow the progression of 22.5(b)

225b.png

AlliSeeisBrown

I thought the higher sort pay pertained to the employees on the sort aisle who (prior to bluetooth headphones) had to memorize the states and zips and sort it to the correct belt. The NDA baggers here, as well as people in the small sort are on the same pay scale as the rest of the hub minus the sort aisle.