Skilled postion pay?

Aztec1989

Skilled position questions!I work in smalls and I just became a sorter on 3/18 so I know that I got my dollar raise. Do those individuals with that payrate Increase get the $1 for all hours worked, even if they didn't work the "skilled" position that day or all day?? I come to work and sort and then at the end of the night i go to secondary and bagout until i hit five hrs because i know im not required to work more.Also, don't they owe me money for the time they didn't pay me the extra dollar because I was sent to bagout instead of sort and im pretty sure they weren't paying me the full $1 then either. I have already been sorting for over thirty days now.I know I can go back as far as 90 days and get compensated but is this gounds for even getting compensation??

Also on my pay stub, shouldn't it say Current pay rate is $11.00 instead of $10.00 and underneath where it says regular shouldn't it say $11.00 too?? Isn't supposed to match now because im a sorter??...Do I get time and a half at all? -new girl

Oak

Your pay rate is $10. You get the extra $1 for your entire shift on each day you work the skilled position for more than 60 minutes.

If you work the small sort for less than the 60 minutes or don't work smalls any particular day you do not get the $1 skilled pay for that shift.

I enter my total hours and minutes worked and my sort time in my calendar on my phone every day after I clock out so I have a record.

All time over 5 hours in a single shift is OT for part time employees. Double shifting does not apply to OT.

PT Car Washer

Your pay rate should show the sort rate and you receive OT after 5 hours. You need to talk to either your Union steward or Business Agent at the Union hall. That is what they are there for.

Oak

Once you are sort qualified you keep the Dollar raise no matter where you are assigned that day or for how long.
Interesting. I have been told completely different.

After having my paycheck corrected numerous times I was informed that payroll said you have to work the skilled position for 60 minutes to be paid skilled for the entire shift.

Sup told me they can't tell me to work slower, but maybe double check a package or two. Haven't had the issue since.

PT Car Washer

Talk to the Union and see what they say. Payroll works for the company and will say whatever they are told to say. As long as you are sort qualified [passed the current sort test or assigned to a sorting job] you keep your pay no matter where UPS puts you that day.

Nimnim

The Nim
Once your base pay rate is adjusted it shouldn't be a problem, but as others have said if you work for 60 minutes, I was iffy on the time needed and it'd be good to talk to your steward, in the skill position you get paid the skill rate the whole shift.

I know myself, it's been a few years since this happened, but there were nights my irreg crew was overstaffed and I was low man so I was sent out. Normally it was sort aisle, but even when I unloaded or did recycles which are both unskilled I got paid my base rate which includes the $1 for skilled.

PT Car Washer

Your pay rate is $10. You get the extra $1 for your entire shift on each day you work the skilled position for more than 60 minutes.

If you work the small sort for less than the 60 minutes or don't work smalls any particular day you do not get the $1 skilled pay for that shift.

I enter my total hours and minutes worked and my sort time in my calendar on my phone every day after I clock out so I have a record.

All time over 5 hours in a single shift is OT for part time employees. Double shifting does not apply to OT.
Why do you say double shifting does not apply to OT?

Aztec1989

Okay, so my current pay rate should be $11.00 an hr even if I decide to go to noondau and work in the unload or as a loader?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Aztec1989

I think my union steward is on their payroll because he isn't informative at all and it seems like im just fighting for myself. Should I just go to an actual union meeting and exchange numbers with someone there so that I know for sure im getting the right info...theres too many rumors about our stewarts on payroll and he did talk me out of a grievance so idk.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Aztec1989

He told me to go on upsers and figure out all the hours but hasn't said anything other than that.He literally listens to what I say and gives me this half ass response with little info. I think we nees a clean sweep of union Stewarts

Sent using BrownCafe App

Nimnim

The Nim
Okay, so my current pay rate should be $11.00 an hr even if I decide to go to noondau and work in the unload or as a loader?

Sent using BrownCafe App

As far as I know when you bid to a different position or shift you lose the skill pay unless you're going to another position with skill pay. With switching shifts you'd have to take whatever test for the position on the new shift to keep the skill pay.

This could certainly vary by area so it'd be best to contact your BA if your stewards don't know anything. It'll probably depend on past practice in your area and we wouldn't be able to answer you accurately.

Jas85374

I think my union steward is on their payroll because he isn't informative at all and it seems like im just fighting for myself. Should I just go to an actual union meeting and exchange numbers with someone there so that I know for sure im getting the right info...theres too many rumors about our stewarts on payroll and he did talk me out of a grievance so idk.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Where are you? Sounds like 104 to me. Most of our stewards just seem to side with management to get easy jobs or sit around in damages all day chatting.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Aztec1989

Nope, apparently we don't get to choose at ours or at least thats what they lead us to believe.They told my co worker that once you switch your shift then you get put where you are needed at the time. I'm In Tennessee.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Sorting in smalls is skilled? Because I got told something else that it wasn't a skill position.. I've been sorting and after the chute is cleared I bag what I sorted. So the info that I got about skilled position in smalls in false from what my sup told me?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Oak

Sorting in smalls is skilled? Because I got told something else that it wasn't a skill position.. I've been sorting and after the chute is cleared I bag what I sorted. So the info that I got about skilled position in smalls in false from what my sup told me?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Contract says Preloader/Sorter. I know I sort when working smalls.

browntroll

talk to a steward or ba. i have seen it both ways in my hub. i have a permanent dollar/skilled raise but i know of ppl
that only get the $1 raise for the day they worked at skilled position. i hear of ppl(new hires) asking to do skilled positions to get
the $1 raise but so far management has stone walled them because theres nothing available.

Lwms

Make sure every night and then every morning u show up plz check ur time card hours and write them down n then check the total for end of week . our sup changes a few to keep them from getting the hours so they don't qualify for the extra .H R DEPT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED but it has been swept under the rug