Sleep apnea diagnosis/driving “on topic”

Cyclops

What happens if a driver is diagnosed with sleep apnea after he is a driver? What if the condition is then treated with surgery or the continuous air pressure machine? Does a diagnosis for this automatically disqualify someone from driving package car or feeders?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Once you get diagnosed with sleep apnea you have to use a C-PAP machine as long as you want a DOT Card. I have to get a letter from my pulmonary doctor before I go for my yearly physical. The C-PAP machine has a memory card you take to the doctor so they know you are using it. The surgery is a joke and it seldom works.

Cyclops

Once you get diagnosed with sleep apnea you have to use a C-PAP machine as long as you want a DOT Card. I have to get a letter from my pulmonary doctor before I go for my yearly physical. The C-PAP machine has a memory card you take to the doctor so they know you are using it. The surgery is a joke and it seldom works.
I’ve heard the surgeries they do for sleep apnea are tonsillectomy and for deviated septum. But they will still let you drive with sleep apnea? What if you are diagnosed before you become a driver? Does this make you ineligible?

brown_trousers

Memory card to snitch on you?? I dont like the idea of that. Like having big brother watching you at home.

upschuck

Not true. We have had a couple guys get diagnosed with diabetes and unable to get DOT cards. They have to create 22.3 jobs for them that don't get rebid when they leave.
In contract, says they only have to do a pt position, unless supplement or rider says different.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I’ve heard the surgeries they do for sleep apnea are tonsillectomy and for deviated septum. But they will still let you drive with sleep apnea? What if you are diagnosed before you become a driver? Does this make you ineligible?
As long as you are using your C-pap machine you are fine. They won't DQ you from driving for that

brown_trousers

Not true. We have had a couple guys get diagnosed with diabetes and unable to get DOT cards. They have to create 22.3 jobs for them that don't get rebid when they leave.
That could be a creative way to get into a combo job with low seniority. Around here you need around 12 years seniority to get into a combo. But they are hiring drivers with less than 6 months seniority.

Bid a FT driving job at 6 months. Pass 30 day probation, then immediately get your DOT card revoked. You could potentially have a combo job with under 1 year of seniority

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That could be a creative way to get into a combo job with low seniority. Around here you need around 12 years seniority to get into a combo. But they are hiring drivers with less than 6 months seniority.

Bid a FT driving job at 6 months. Pass 30 day probation, then immediately get your DOT card revoked. You could potentially have a combo job with under 1 year of seniority

Uh.......nope.

Johney

And you'll find a DOT Dr. to go along with your scam?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The first three months the C-PAP machine uses a transmitter to automatically send data in. After that you take the memory card with you to the pulmonary doctor so he can download the data. No letter from the doc, no DOT card. I did feel like a new man after getting used to the treatment, I have a lot more energy and I wake up fully alert in the morning. I no longer walked around in a daze and didn't nod off while driving long distances. That was one of several reasons I never went into Feeder driving myself.

Sleep Apnea is caused by your tongue relaxing when you fall asleep and that blocks off your airway. Your brain automatically wakes you up enough to get your breath, so you don't get any of the deep sleep you need to truly rest. My original sleep study showed I woke over 120 times over the night. I had a deviated septum removed years before that and my tonsils and other soft tissue in the back of my throat removed to increase my airway for the sleep apnea surgery. This surgery has about a 90% failure rate, it did nothing for me. A friend of mine had a custom-made dental appliance made, it did nothing for her. There is a new treatment called Inspire where an implant is installed to solve the problem, its too new for insurance to pay for it yet.

Last edited:

brown_trousers

The first three months the C-PAP machine uses a transmitter to automatically send data in. After that you take the memory card with you to the pulmonary doctor so he can download the data. No letter from the doc, no DOT card. I did feel like a new man after getting used to the treatment, I have a lot more energy and I wake up fully alert in the morning. I no longer walked around in a daze and didn't nod off while driving long distances. that was one of several reasons I never went into Feeder driving myself.

Sleep Apnea is caused by your tongue relaxing when you fall asleep and that blocks off your airway. Your brain automatically wakes you up enough to get your breath, so you don't get any of the deep sleep you need to truly rest. My original sleep study showed I woke over 120 times over the night. I had a deviated septum removed years before that and my tonsils and other soft tissue in the back of my throat removed to increase my airway for the sleep apnea surgery. This surgery has about a 90% failure rate, it did nothing for me. A friend of mine had a custom-made dental appliance made, it did nothing for her. There is a new treatment called Inspire where an implant is installed to solve the problem, its too new for insurance to pay for it yet.
That sounds like a lot of painfull surgeries. And it didnt solve the issue. Ouch!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
But they will still let you drive with sleep apnea? What if you are diagnosed before you become a driver? Does this make you ineligible?

Yes, you can still drive with sleep apnea as long as you can prove you are taking treatment for it. These are DOT rules and they keep an eye on it to prevent commercial truck accidents. This is why they started measuring our neck size during DOT Physicals a few years back looking for symptoms. I don't personally know if it would pre-disqualify you from getting the job.