Smalls vs Irregulars

qtin2ledo

Im "new" 3 months in. Also female, age 39.
Took the job on nights to pursue my own business during the day and have benefits.
PT lucky enough to have gotten placed in smalls along with 6 other new hires this past peak. However, we get the least hours. Almost 2 hrs extra a night would make a huge difference in my check so I want to move to irregulars. Ive worked irregulars other places and Im fine with lifting tires. I like moderately difficult work and a challenge.
One 20 yr person tells me go for it. Youll be in in a few months.
Another 20+ yr person, the Union Steward, was trying to talk me out of it. Youre not getting any younger, It could take you years... Took me 20 yrs to get up here.
Theres nobody else on the list. Im just trying to be smarter than the other new hires and go where the hours are.
So... Am I screwing myself by leaving smalls?

Box Ox

Ive worked irregulars other places and Im fine with lifting tires.
I like moderately difficult work and a challenge

You’re not gonna like it a few years down the road when you’ve lifted too many tires and you’re really feeling it.

I dunno. If you really need the hours, go for it I guess. But you’re in a position right now where you don’t have to touch anything heavy. Sounds pretty golden to me.

Sorta like air driving. Not many heavies, fewer hours. But if you’ve got a nice side gig anyway, you’re set. Great benefits and your body isn’t hurting.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Took the job on nights to pursue my own business during the day and have benefits.
PT lucky enough to have gotten placed in smalls along with 6 other new hires this past peak. However, we get the least hours. Almost 2 hrs extra a night would make a huge difference in my check so I want to move to irregulars. Ive worked irregulars other places and Im fine with lifting tires. I like moderately difficult work and a challenge.
Another 20+ yr person, the Union Steward, was trying to talk me out of it. Youre not getting any younger, It could take you years... Took me 20 yrs to get up here.
Theres nobody else on the list. Im just trying to be smarter than the other new hires and go where the hours are.
39? It's almost over...

1000RR

There are pros and cons to each. I started out as a loader (got the extra $1/hr because I was pickoff certified) after being at the company for 6 years I went to small sort for two years thinking it would be easier. I went from being #9 in seniority out of 35 in the load, to #50 of 55 in small sort. I also lost my dollar for being pickoff certified because they have next gen small sort here. Went from 25 hours a week to 20 and got crappy vacation picks because of all the higher seniority people. Needless to say, I went back to the load. In my opinion small sorting is just as hard on the body. Not sure how irregs work. Here its high seniority people in irregs and I'm not talking about the drivers, im talking about irreg sorters. They also get the $1 more an hour. Hope this helps

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

If you have to have the money then I guess you either try to find extra work after working smalls or you take the risk and get the extra hours! If irregs becomes too much then maybe you can find something else!

DriverNerd

If you really need the hours do it, but I would stay in small sort. It's not that you're a woman or not in shape, but that you're getting older. Moving heavier/awkward boxes can be really hard on your body (for anyone). Don't risk the possibility of hurting yourself when you have the opportunity now to be employed lifting light stuff. There are lots of people who have hurt their shoulders/backs lifting heavy packages for too long of a time. Think long term.

Toast

I was in irregs then switched to smalls and I would say stay in smalls but ask if you can help in irregs or another area when smalls is wrapped to get more hours? After I switched to smalls I still would help on irregs because I was tug certified and they always needed help.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I’ll show you something irregular.
IMG_2413.GIF

wayfair

swollen member
over 70lbs tires?

The only time tires are over 70lb on my route is when they are strapped together... better yet, when they are actually mounted from tirerack.

stay where you are!