Smalls

FarFarRight

I work in the river river district of Texas. I was wondering what the size and weight was for smalls at the other centers. What percent do y'all usually reach. Thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It might have been 3 pounds. I'm pretty sure it wasn't 5. The coathanger was the main thing I remembered. Plus there wasn't the insistence on labeling so many more packages as smalls then.

Packages are not labeled based on size.

As you mentioned, there is a push to containerize more smalls as it does streamline the operation.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Used to be fit-through-a-coat hanger, it seems like that has changed, especially with some of the larger Sure Posts I am seeing. My hub is in the middle of construction of a new automated smalls sort. They are adding another floor over my parking place.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
giphy.gif

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Used to be fit-through-a-coat hanger, it seems like that has changed, especially with some of the larger Sure Posts I am seeing. My hub is in the middle of construction of a new automated smalls sort. They are adding another floor over my parking place.
I hope some egg head got a promotion for the "build a second floor for the smalls sort" idea, they're doing it in multiple locations just that I know of, and I don't know much.

km3

They can call anything a "small". The definition of the size has changed over time.

Yep. They upgraded our small sort last October. The new definition is something in the area of 16 x 16 x 6 or something like that. Pretty big for a small.

Before that, the definition we were told to abide by was "if handling the package requires only one hand."