Smoking, the good kind.

ogrelord

Ground Down
I built a UDS as a scouting project, and I have a lot of fun with it. What type of set-up do you run? Charcoal,lump? What type of wood do you use?

So far the best thing i'm made is pastrami. It's just corned beef brisket (uncooked) soak it in water overnight. add cracked pepper the smoke it. I also make a smoked mullet dip that's really good.
Pork Butts seems like there always on sale..
UDS.jpg2butts.jpg
UDS.jpg
2butts.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
500 gallon propane tank turned into a smoker. Offset box with the exit at the same side. Run tuning plates all across the bottom to keep a steady temp across the whole thing.

I use all types of wood and even use a mix of water/ apple juice 50/50 in the bottom of the tank a decent amount.

ogrelord

Ground Down
500 gallon propane tank turned into a smoker. Offset box with the exit at the same side. Run tuning plates all across the bottom to keep a steady temp across the whole thing.

I use all types of wood and even use a mix of water/ apple juice 50/50 in the bottom of the tank a decent amount.
That's a setup. I bet you can fit a half of a hog in there at a time. Did you build it yourself? I run a small water pan in my tiny thing, but does the apple juice impart that much flavor?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You guys are way too high-tech for me! Square Brinkmann two door and Dragon's Breath lump, maybe a little rosemary and onion in the water pan and apple for smoke.

We do ribs, pork loins and half chickens mostly. For the fancy stuff, we go visit my BIL and his Green Egg.

​Look up the recipe for a smoked onion. Incredible!!

barnyard

KTM rider
I have had a Weber Smoky Mtn and now have a Kamado Joe. I helped my brother build a UDS and cooked on it many times.

Next weekend, I am going to do up a couple of beef shoulder clods. They cook like briskets, but around here, are much cheaper.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's a setup. I bet you can fit a half of a hog in there at a time. Did you build it yourself? I run a small water pan in my tiny thing, but does the apple juice impart that much flavor?

Yeah built it. Forgot to add the stoker I have on it. Controls the temp and allows you to check and control everything from fire temp to meat temp from a smart phone or laptop. Dream set up would be the back of a propane truck. With a rotisserie probably 7-8 shelves. Each with the capacity to hold a whole hog.

Juice probably doesn't add much flavor. Just something I've always done. Not near the flavor actual fruit wood will add. Try to get green fruit wood though. A lot more sugars in it that release more flavor.

drewed

Shankman
Wood depends on what youre smoking ... Pork cherry or apple, beef a nut wood (pecan, walnut) fish alder wood is the way to go

kingOFchester

Take some wings. Brine them in water with lemon.

Smoke with mesquite or hickory soaked chunks at 195-205 for 3ish hours. Let cool a bit, then give them a quick deep fry to crisp up the skins. Add favorite BBQ sauce. Awesome.