Snow = Volume drop??

U

upsdude

Hows the blizzard in the North East affecting you?

Our centers volume has dropped from an average of 28k per day to about 12k. I took off Monday and Tuesday but Im going to suck it up today and run one of those triple routes. LOL!

S

smf0605

Regular deliveries didn't happen. We only got one plane into Logan, so there was limited air to deliver.
The pickups for Tuesday were even more limited.

T

trouble1903

Every thing was shut down Monday, Tuesday most places where closed. Most business parking lots still needed to be plowed as of late last night.

I think I was only able to deliver about half of what I went out with.

W

wkmac

You UPSers in the NE take care and be safe dealing with the snow. Ashame we all can't park this deal for a few weeks and take off to Florida for some spring training baseball and deep sea fishing. Ah the good life of sucking suds and watching America's past time with wetting a line thrown in for extra measure.

NE UPSers, this Bud's for you!
cheers.gif

D

dan

Here in Madison our supervision cut routes yesterday from 43 to 38 laying off drivers and then half the center come in at 10 hours or more(I punched out at 11 hrs. 59 min.). Now today they want to cut them down to 37, now everyone will probably have over 10 hours.

U

upsdude

Big increase Thursday and expecting the same Friday. Wednesdays volume was 22K, Thursday hit 30K. Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells. LOL!

O

oldupsman

I just don't understand some of you folks who work all these hours in different parts of the country. The planned goal in our building is between a 8.5 to 9.2 dispatch every day. Now of course there our days some people get more. But if you make enough noise or file a grievance after 3 days of 9.5 or more they take the work off you. I know that because I've filed that grievance and the work was taken off. I tell my manager the less work the better for me and they do their best to accomate me.

T

tieguy

Christmas in february lol. I don't know about you folks but I didn't see any competitors on the road tuesday. UPSers were still trying to make it happen.

J

johnny_b

It is hard for me to believe that people talk at all about snow. Snow is good. I wish we had gotten snow. I haven't had power for a week because of the ice storms here. There was a little over 3/4" on EVERYTHING. I finally got my power back this morning. There are still 10k people without power over a week later. It started with 40k homes. Our hub has been running off a generator.

With 29% budget increases since 2000, where is the federal government? Soldiers are picking up some limbs if you leave them just right on the curb. Where was the replacement generator for my apartment complex?

Our volume may have been slightly lower at first but Thursday and Friday had to make up for that.

J

ja7618

Please don't come to Florida for spring training, we can't get around on our streets as it is. I live in the town that the Indiana's train and our trafic is awful, no more snowbirds please!!!!!!!!!

L

lifer

we are iced in here in the DFW area in texas---no work today.

hopefully it will be thawed tomorrow.

D

dannyboy

Lemme see

So far this week

Monday 9.76 hours, Tuesday 11.65, Wednesday, 12.79, and I keep hearing volume is DOWN? Where?

clapbounce.gif
d

U

upsdude

"Lemme see

So far this week

Monday 9.76 hours, Tuesday 11.65, Wednesday, 12.79, and I keep hearing volume is DOWN? Where?"

It aint down in my area. As a matter of fact, I havent heard a supervisor say the volume is down in nearly a month. The only exception being the couple of days I mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

I did have an 8.5 day yesterday. I arrived home so early my wife and kids thought I got fired! LOL!

O

observer

Dannyboy- Does your Center have the same amount of routes going? Has the volume dropped enough where they cut a low seniority Driver and spread that volume on to other Drivers in the area?

D

dannyboy

WE have several drivers on lay off, and others taking time off. They just seem to want to work less drivers and work them longer. I was off yesterday for several doctor appointments, and took a R/O today ( got 12 grand worth of fish comming in to the airport)

But after close to 30 years it seems it has allways been that way, long hours and overtime!

d

F

feederdryver

ok..here it is....
the volume is down in the Toledo/Cleveland Ohio area. (Actually I should say the volume is on the trains that run from Chicago to the New England States.) We have 2 of them that run right past the Middleburg Hub in Cleveland. The CSX and Southern Norfolk rails. 4 Feeder runs have been eliminated in the past 2 weeks. One run was elimated 3 months ago after the driver retired. 3 TDP runs have been cancelled also.
We have aprrox 35 feeder drivers laid off and about 22 of them are working in the Hub on both the Twilight Sort and the Night Sort. We are now entering a contractual "gray area" that we are trying to resolve regarding the seniority rights of laid off full timers compared to that of hub part-timers. The company has taken the position that as long as the full timer is displacing the 2 junior part-timers ( one on each sort) his/her seniority (even if he/she has had a previous part time seniority date) DOES NOT dovetail into the Hub's seniority list. Therefore the full timer remains at the Bottom of the totem pole. Even if a part timer has 1 day of seniority, they are saying that the full timer is still below him and has no seniority rights over that part timer.
"you displace the least junior employee, you BECOME the least junior employee", they say.
I must make a note that they are allowing us to exercise our seniority amongst ourselves (the groups of laid off full-timers)

I've read the Central Region Supplemental Agreement language regarding laid-off full timers displacing 2 part-timers and I see nothing that says the full-timer goes to the bottom of the seniority board. In fact it mentions "Total Company Seniority"
Our BA's at our local are filing for multiple interpretations as I write.
Is anyone else experiencing this practice in other parts of the Country??

T

tieguy

"ok..here it is....
the volume is down in the Toledo/Cleveland Ohio area. (Actually I should say the volume is on the trains that run from Chicago to the New England States.) We have 2 of them that run right past the Middleburg Hub in Cleveland. The CSX and Southern Norfolk rails. 4 Feeder runs have been eliminated in the past 2 weeks. One run was elimated 3 months ago after the driver retired. 3 TDP runs have been cancelled also."

The 3 tdp runs clearly have nothing to do with the train that runs by middleburg. That is a clear sign that your pickup volume is down.

F

feederdryver

The 3 tdp runs clearly have nothing to do with the train that runs by middleburg. That is a clear sign that your pickup volume is down.

Well no sh** ! I guess I should of started a new paragraph when I got to that part. I ultimately was trying to explain that "volume is down all together" in this region. Picky picky !!

T

tieguy

Not trying to be picky. I do think we have to realize that many of our pick ups are getting drying up or getting lighter. It has to be a wake up call for all of us. The economy plays a part and fedex has taken some of our volume. Why any customer would be willing to take inferior service from a contracter baffles the imagination.

K

kidlogic

or they are like UPS managment....a manager will send a guy a half an hour out of his way to help another guy who is going to go over 9.5 to keep both drivers under 9.5. even though the driver was only going to be 10 minutes over 9.5. Big mangment in other companies tell thier shipping dept to cut cost then they do by using a poor delivery service. All their shipping dept cares about is their little part of the company not the effect it has on the total company. A big lesson UPS could learn. We have a Air driver in our building who has been delivering air for many years. Has always driven like a bat out of hell. Does managment say nothing....noooo...great numbers. All of a sudden he has 3 tier 3 accidents..total cost to the center. Any guesses??? $$141,000. Now they want to fire the guy. Backwards thinking.Where were the warning letters when the driver was driving too fast.....no where..production!!!!! Why UPS would allow one of its drivers to run an gun baffles the imagination. Or where they just like the people who use an inferior service?????