So How’s Peak Going, So Far?

McFeely

Huge Member
How are operations going in all your collective necks of the woods? Inbound has been ridiculously heavy so far this week.
Overall it’s going as smoothly as possible. We’re at about 50% of the inbound numbers that we were at last year since we gave so much to Ground.

The big cluster-friend is Response every day, however. First half of your day goes smoothly, then you might add another 50-80 stops in the middle of the day (and still have some stuff from the morning flights).

For me, my route is fine but my loop mate is weaksauce. He can’t handle over 60-70 stops before he’s whining.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Overall it’s going as smoothly as possible. We’re at about 50% of the inbound numbers that we were at last year since we gave so much to Ground.

The big cluster-friend is Response every day, however. First half of your day goes smoothly, then you might add another 50-80 stops in the middle of the day (and still have some stuff from the morning flights).

For me, my route is fine but my loop mate is weaksauce. He can’t handle over 60-70 stops before he’s whining.
He can’t handle over 60-70 stops before he’s whining.
This is why FedEx will never make ups money

MassWineGuy

I got there today for Response and the place was empty. Turns out the a.m. shift got 12,000 pieces (a little over 50 percent of normal). I offered to work tomorrow morning. Should be interesting.

Serf

Peak didn’t really hit us until yesterday. All the routes exploded (150-220) stops. But between short staffing, panicked managers, and lack of trucks….what was actually not that awful became a cluster eff.
This is my 14th peak. And come New Year I’m almost a sure thing to go part time, maybe even come off the road as a handler, or leave entirely.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Same volume levels as last year. Rolling over freight the last two days .
Some things never change. Once again FedEx takes on too much freight expecting couriers to bail them out. Perhaps sales and engineering should be required to go out on the road for a couple of weeks during peak and help out with the mess they’ve created.

AB831

Some things never change. Once again FedEx takes on too much freight expecting couriers to bail them out. Perhaps sales and engineering should be required to go out on the road for a couple of weeks during peak and help out with the mess they’ve created.
Yup

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Here's the easiest peak most people have ever experienced, and here's someone complaining about how sales/engineering have burdened couriers with too much work.

MassWineGuy

Dano, it’s obviously been too long since you were a courier.

It’s been pretty crazy at our place. At a certain time deliveries take a backseat to pickups. Then, a lot rolls over to the next day.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Dano, it’s obviously been too long since you were a courier.

It’s been pretty crazy at our place. At a certain time deliveries take a backseat to pickups. Then, a lot rolls over to the next day.
I'm not speaking about your place, but Express peak in general. Overall peak volume is lighter (as projected) and overall courier staffing is up. Some stations have issues but it's been smooth overall. Except for today's weather, that is.

MassWineGuy

Ok. I concede that this sounds reasonable enough. Except that even more “normal” peak volume is a ton. As for staff, clearly there aren’t enough to divide all the freight adequately enough that most will actually be delivered on time.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm guessing the catastrophic collapse of the FedEx infrastructure didn't happen.

Here's the easiest peak most people have ever experienced, and here's someone complaining about how sales/engineering have burdened couriers with too much work.
Do you see how these two statements possibly are linked in a way that is not great for FedEx?

The infrastructure held up because volume was way, way down. We have a guy in our building who tracks the numbers religiously every day year over year. At the last peak planning meeting with the engineer and MD (both of whom were fretting about whether we we’re ready) everyone basically ignored them and looked to J to get his insight. His numbers held up throughout peak. He consistently said we’d be down 15 to 20% and he was exactly right. Easiest peak ever.

That easy peak bailed out the company. The uncertainty in the contractor ranks continues and further cutting those rates in order to pander to investors will bring another example of how broken it is.

The one thing they might have going for them is continued weak demand. Between a slowing economy and shippers fleeing, they would be foolish to think everything simply turned out fine.

None of that even begins to touch how much they paid out and are paying out in contingencies.