So How Cold Is It?

wkmac

I don't live nor have ever visited Chicago but respect their hardiness in the cold along with others north of the border. So how do Chicago folk do it? Friends from up that way shared the secret.

THE WINDY CITY TEMPERATURE CONVERSION CHART

60° friend: Arizonans shiver uncontrollably; people in Chicago are still sunbathing.

50° friend: Californians try to turn on the heat; people in Chicago plant gardens.

40° friend: Italian sports cars won't start; people in Chicago drive with the windows down.

32° friend: Distilled water freezes; Lake Michigan water gets thicker.

20° friend: Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves and wool hats; people in Chicago throw on a light jacket.

15° friend: People in Chicago have the last cookout before it gets cold.

0° friend: All the people in Phoenix die. Chicagoans close the windows.

10° below zero: Californians fly away to Mexico . The Girl Scouts in Chicago are selling cookies door to door.

25° below zero: Hollywood disintegrates; people in Chicago get out their winter coats.

40° below zero: Washington, DC runs out of hot air; people in Chicago let the dogs sleep indoors.

100° below zero: Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Chicagoans get frustrated because they can't start 'da car.'

460° below zero: All atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale); people in Chicago start saying, 'cold 'nuff for ya?'

500° below zero: Hell freezes over. The Cubs win the World Series.
:wink-very:

Stay warm and be safe the best you can the next few very cold days!

wkmac

LOOK, A SNOWFLAKE!

a_riots09.jpg

bbsam

Staff member
People do handle the cold pretty well around here. I have a couple drivers only wearing sweatshirts under their work shirts. All of them have parkas, but some of them just don't want to wear them. Personally, I start dressing in layers at 5:30 am so I can walk out the door at 7.

wkmac

There was a time when a buddy of mine and myself would load the backpacks and hit the trails in the mountains in weather like this. Now I just walk to the thermostat!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There was a time when a buddy of mine and myself would load the backpacks and hit the trails in the mountains in weather like this. Now I just walk to the thermostat!
Yar, getting older tends to leech away your pain tolerance.

wkmac

A dry 80 degrees here in Southern California today... :beersmiley:

Watched our local weather and the forecast is back in the 60's by next weekend. Just grilled out the other day, put it back up for the cold and now will pull it back out next weekend.

Now that's Climate Change! :wink-very: