So I guess no word is good?

kingOFchester

hall had stated that if UPS didn't pull their health care proposition, he would walk away. So I guess that could be good being that we haven't heard anything.

stink219

He said by March 31st he wanted a deal done that was satisfactory for the employees or see ya the end of July. UPS can send proposals in, but he wasn't sitting at the negotiating table after that time. It's no secret that UPS lolligags in the beginning. We don't need to wait out UPS, we just need to wait out Scottie D. He has share holders to answer to. This is UPS answering for 5 years of sins.

oldupsman

hall had stated that if UPS didn't pull their health care proposition, he would walk away. So I guess that could be good being that we haven't heard anything.
Honestly Chester I was through so many of these things. I really expect this to be all signed, sealed and delivered by June. And it will really piss off the hard
core union guys because so little will change.

barnyard

KTM rider
I am thinking that we are not hearing anything because they are making progress and do not want to get anyone all excited, because they could get this done by the end of March.

I think it is going to happen.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I am thinking that we are not hearing anything because they are making progress and do not want to get anyone all excited, because they could get this done by the end of March.

I think it is going to happen.

I'd like to think that, but I suspect Scott Davis hasn't decided how far he's willing to go in effort to lower labor costs.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Kind of hard to go much lower then minimum wage and no benefits for a year.

How bout forcing us (PTers) to give back that hourly premium, gut our benefits (as proposed ... no details) & then charge us $90/week? A 30% direct pay cut for me, plus additional monies spent on health care.

Even if an agreement is reach, I expect my benefits to be somewhat diluted. E.g. office visits go from $10 to $20, prescriptions go from $0 to $5 (generic)/$10 (non-generic); $250 per person deductible (currently $0). This will heavily lower the company's cost, since it will prevent many cash-strapped PTers from going to the doctor's unless it's absolutely necessary. I'd be shocked if (something like) this doesn't happen, and get called a victory.

He said by March 31st he wanted a deal done that was satisfactory for the employees or see ya the end of July. UPS can send proposals in, but he wasn't sitting at the negotiating table after that time. It's no secret that UPS lolligags in the beginning. We don't need to wait out UPS, we just need to wait out Scottie D. He has share holders to answer to. This is UPS answering for 5 years of sins.
True. But the word around is all the managers are buying the stock back. This can change in 5 to 10 years.

stink219

I think that would be a positive thing. Reminds me of a time prior to 1999 when management focused on making educated decisions. You can't tell me that there was a drastic difference between then and now?

PT Car Washer

How bout forcing us (PTers) to give back that hourly premium, gut our benefits (as proposed ... no details) & then charge us $90/week? A 30% direct pay cut for me, plus additional monies spent on health care.

Even if an agreement is reach, I expect my benefits to be somewhat diluted. E.g. office visits go from $10 to $20, prescriptions go from $0 to $5 (generic)/$10 (non-generic); $250 per person deductible (currently $0). This will heavily lower the company's cost, since it will prevent many cash-strapped PTers from going to the doctor's unless it's absolutely necessary. I'd be shocked if (something like) this doesn't happen, and get called a victory.
I hear you. But how many people would work at a job that cost more then you make a week? I know any job is better then no job unless you are just digging yourself deeper into a hole. Can't find enough people to stay now.

Delivered

I agree, Hall has stated we won't pay nine cents, he's never said they benefits would remain the same. We have to keep our eyes on the fine print...

kingOFchester

I agree, Hall has stated we won't pay nine cents, he's never said they benefits would remain the same. We have to keep our eyes on the fine print...

As found on our union board and also on teamster.org

"We will fight any attempt by the company to raise the cost of health care for actives."

He didn't use the words Teamsters, part timers, full timers, UPSers or others words that would imply us and future teamsters at UPS. Actives is a pretty clear word that distinguishes us from future brothers.

Seems as though he may be willing to allow future UPS teamsters to pay for health to some degree. Even if top rate for new hires are the same as ours but they are paying for benefits, then this would fall into a 2 tier system.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I think that would be a positive thing. Reminds me of a time prior to 1999 when management focused on making educated decisions. You can't tell me that there was a drastic difference between then and now?

Sorta how they used to just step over a dollar to save a dime but now they step over a Grant.

ocnewguy

Future hires are gonna get shafted hard. My prediction anyway. I'll be enrolling in the health insurance almost exactly 30 days before the contract takes effect. Talk about the nick of time.

Island

Word around my hub is that the silence is a bad thing, not a good thing. The union trying to conceal how much we're getting screwed because they don't want us all to stop paying dues. I'm not sure I believe this line of thinking, but with the union maintaining this lack of disclosure, what can I do but not stand in the way of people who want to parrot these thoughts? If the union heads want me to feel secure they should say something concretely good for me, not just "hang in there."
As for my own speculation, it seems clear to me that part-timers are the last priority, yet again, despite the fact that because of the lack of FT job creation, we PTers are now a quite large population. I expect my pay to not go up more than a few cents, I expect a copay and a deductible, and I expect that there will still be no FT job open for me until I've got 15 years under my belt, just as forecasted in my building previously.
I put forward, with others, at my local the "PT pay should be bumped quite a bit to match inflation" proposal. It seemed politically appropriate, because if we suddenly get expensive then the company has very little reason to not open more FT slots. If we aren't dirt cheap anymore then there's no reason to keep so many of us and so few FTers. But our local board pretty solidly told us to our faces that this proposal was not in the union's interest. Which is funny because our finance guy said that at the podium and I would expect him to salivate at the idea of PT dues jumping up so many digits in his financial statements.

I'm not waiting ten more years to go FT, when things will magically get better for me. If my benefits get ruined then I'm out. Can you tell how irritated I am by the lack of news?

Just Lurking

Everyone need to remember that the Union can only negotiate for active working members of the union.

The only way to negotiators can bargain for retirees is in around about way. They have to ask for something absurd for active working members then stonewall until there is some type of compromise on the retiree issues.