So Many Pension Payment Options. What To Consider?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
we recently received my pension payment options and it is so confusing. I think there are 19 different options.

its just me and my spouse. I can almost bet I will outlive my spouse. I am also 5 years shy of social security when I retire.

I am leaning on taking the option where you get $300 a month more till you are 62. then it drops down.

I am going to have another interview with the pension guy but don't even know where to begin with the questions.

so for you people that have already retired. what option did you take and why?? maybe your feedback will help us make the right decision.

thanks.

Last edited:

cragmont

You can elect to get 100% of your pension and your spouse nothing if you predecease her.

You can elect to bring your spouse along and get a reduced monthly pension for her to get 100%,75%, and 50% if you predecease her.

The larger her percentage the greater the reduction in your monthly pension.

In my particular local, my pension is reduced $400/mo for her to get 100%

If you are in good health you can get a term life insurance policy on yourself and make her the beneficiary

I elected to get 100% and secure a 25 year term policy...$169mo per every 250K in the event I died before her, so I have that coverage until I am 82.

My SS has no effect on my pension

If you are sure you will outlive her, take 100%, but you never know, that would be taking a chance

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you choose to take the 100% option you might want to consider getting a term life insurance policy so that your spouse will not be left high and dry if you pass away.

You can elect to get 100% of your pension and your spouse nothing if you predecease her.

You can elect to bring your spouse along and get a reduced monthly pension for her to get 100%,75%, and 50% if you predecease her.

If you are in good health you can get a term life insurance policy on yourself and make her the beneficiary

I elected to get 100% and secure a 25 year term policy...$169mo per every 250K in the event I died before her, so I have that coverage until I am 82.

If you are sure you will outlive her, take 100%, but you never know, that would be taking a chance
You could be,healthy as a horse. Wouldn't stop you,from getting hit by a car.
Never know,could happen to any of us!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How far out in year does one go with pension maximization? Life insurance gets expensive with age.

Wally

What happens if you go at age 83? How much does your spouse get?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had sent an e-mail to our local pension office requesting a print out of my pension status. I received a letter from them today with some good news----I will be eligible to retire on 7/1/2018 with a projected pension payment of $4,329.82/month (after my ex gets her 16%). I thought I wouldn't be eligible until sometime in the first part of 2019 so this is really good news----instead of having 5 Peaks left I only have 4!

upschuck

I had sent an e-mail to our local pension office requesting a print out of my pension status. I received a letter from them today with some good news----I will be eligible to retire on 7/1/2018 with a projected pension payment of $4,329.82/month (after my ex gets her 16%). I thought I wouldn't be eligible until sometime in the first part of 2019 so this is really good news----instead of having 5 Peaks left I only have 4!
Was she a nurse when you were married? Do you get part of her pension, if she has one?

Good for you. You will also get out before the next contract, might want to wait to get a higher pension.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Was she a nurse when you were married? Do you get part of her pension, if she has one?

Good for you. You will also get out before the next contract, might want to wait to get a higher pension.

Believe it or not, she will not be getting a pension from any of the hospitals that she has worked at. If she were she wouldn't be getting as much of or perhaps any of my pension at all.

Ours is a Teamster plan and the monthly payment does not change from contract to contract; in fact, drivers who retired in the '70s and '80s are receiving $6-8K/month.

Wally

Believe it or not, she will not be getting a pension from any of the hospitals that she has worked at. If she were she wouldn't be getting as much of or perhaps any of my pension at all.

Ours is a Teamster plan and the monthly payment does not change from contract to contract; in fact, drivers who retired in the '70s and '80s are receiving $6-8K/month.

You folks have a great pension system for sure.