So much death in our culture. Why is it acceptable?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The news story out of Pennsylvania today where a former Marine (and apparently HUGE coward) murdered 6 members of his former family - Ex wife, her mom and grandmother, his 14 year old neice and 2 others (I didn't hear who the other 2 were), I'm forced to ask, why do we as a whole think it's acceptable to murder someone for no reason at all?

I know how I come off online, but for the record I own ZERO guns and have never fired anything bigger than a bb gun. I do plan on buying one or two in the very near future for home protection, but honestly hope to never be put in the situation where I would need to use it.

Outside of protecting yourself or your family, I don't get the point of killing somebody "just because".

Maybe stronger prison sentences with no "good behavior" credit for people guilty of attempted murder and murder, with a bonus 15 years added on if a gun was used in the act.

Let the potheads out of jail ( as an added bonus the economy would improve- white castle and taco bell would see a huge spike in sales) and use the available space to house the worst of the worst. Murderes, Rapists and Child Molesters.

Otherwise, I really fear the direction this country is headed in.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Everyone dies.
Why is he a coward?
When a soldier kills an enemy soldier, he usually has no real reason to do so.
Legalize marijuana? OK

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Executing 6 innocent family members when you have his level of training makes him a coward or an a-hole, either way.

Pot will be legal eventually, so why not get it out of the way? I've never smoked pot once, but even I can see the stupidity of keeping it illegal and wasting millions of dollars on the arrest, prosecution and housing of the users, growers and dealers.

When you're at war, you are working as ordered to kill the enemy.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The news story out of Pennsylvania today where a former Marine (and apparently HUGE coward) murdered 6 members of his former family - Ex wife, her mom and grandmother, his 14 year old neice and 2 others (I didn't hear who the other 2 were), I'm forced to ask, why do we as a whole think it's acceptable to murder someone for no reason at all?

I know how I come off online, but for the record I own ZERO guns and have never fired anything bigger than a bb gun. I do plan on buying one or two in the very near future for home protection, but honestly hope to never be put in the situation where I would need to use it.

Outside of protecting yourself or your family, I don't get the point of killing somebody "just because".

Maybe stronger prison sentences with no "good behavior" credit for people guilty of attempted murder and murder, with a bonus 15 years added on if a gun was used in the act.

Let the potheads out of jail ( as an added bonus the economy would improve- white castle and taco bell would see a huge spike in sales) and use the available space to house the worst of the worst. Murderes, Rapists and Child Molesters.

Otherwise, I really fear the direction this country is headed in.

You and I disagree on many things, but on this topic, I think we can find similiar ground, but I dont think we will agree on the solution.

This country has always been a place of violence. It was founded on violence, and it has been maintained on violence.

From the genocide of the Native American indians, to the slaughter of black slaves and their babies to the segregation of minorities, this country has promoted death as a solution to its many problems.

Death is too easy in this country. It always comes back however to one common denominator, THE GUN.

GUNS keep getting more destructive in power as the decades roll by, and with that power comes more death.

The gun culture ignores the contribution to death that guns create. Instead, they try to deflect the focus to people instead of the instrument of death.

Its easier that way. No gun owner wants to admit guns kill people because that admission in itself would make them a part of the problem and not a part of the solution.

We have thousands of military vets coming home with mental issues and today, there are 22 military suicides a day in this country.

Is it any surprise when you combine a military veteran with mental issues and guns?

This isnt the first vet to come home and kill his family, there are dozens of cases like this.

The common denominator in each killing?? THE GUN.

This nation ignores death of all kinds , not just Gun deaths. Rapes, murders, child abductions, robberies, nobody seems to care.

Domestic homocides kill tens of thousands of americans, yet, the common denominator in those deaths (GUNS) are ignored.

This country accepts death vs. finding a way to deal or prevent it.

Solutions have consequences, and GUN owners are not about to be a part of the solution, but they will continue to be a part of the problem by insuring every idiot can have a gun.

TOS.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'll give you this....guns make it EASIER to kill people, but you and I both know that if this guy didn't have a gun he would have stabbed them all to death if those were his intentions

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Blah blah blah....here we go with the guns killing people crap again. People who are sociopaths and intent on killing will kill with whatever means are available... guns, knives, boots, cars, poison, bare hands, the list goes on. The fact of the matter is that people kill and the instruments of death are varied.

moreluck

golden ticket member
[quote="scooby0048, post: . The fact of the matter is that people kill and the instruments of death are varied.[/quote]
That's how the game "CLUE" was developed

You've Got Mail

mark-twain-author-why-is-it-that-we-rejoice-at-a-birth-and-grieve-at-a-funeral-it.jpg

I wouldn't say Grand Theft Auto desensitized the youth any more than rock and roll music in the 60's did.

wkmac

Video games such as Grand Theft Auto have desensitized our youth.

West Point Professor of Psychology Lt. Col. Grossman would tend to agree with you. He presents such in this interview talking about his major study published in book form entitled "On Killing." Col. Grossman's comments may also speak to the heart of questions that caused this thread in the first place which I thought were good and valid questions worth considering.