So when do all the seasonal drivers start pouring into the yards?

thatsmypackage

Basically waiting to hear from HR to let me know when I'll be coming in to start driving. Anybody have an idea when the seasonal drivers start working?

Last year I was called in last minute around 7am from the manager to be in by 9am... then from there I was working everyday 'til December 24th... but I started late, around the end of November.

MDupsernj

I started late November last year also...they called me back in May and made book in July. We've had a couple all summer and now a bunch more I see lately.

thatsmypackage

Well, I'm at the point where if they call me good, if not good... I still have most of my uniforms in the box ready to turn back in. Part of me doesn't even want to work for them this year... IDK ... I just don't have a good vibe about UPS for some reason. The manager at my local yard is kind of a prick anyway. :)

HomeDelivery

yikes, why do they leave you in the dark like that?

i've had 2 former temp drivers from brown switch to the temp purple uniforms for similar reasons

they'd give them some work on mon, tues, then call them to not come in on wed, thurs & fri will be 50:50 shot of coming in to drive... of course, this varies from hub-to-hub based on "operational needs"

either they couldn't cut it & were on a "b" list to be called upon when only needed as a last resort or they're not giving me the "big picture"

-----------------------------------------------------

at least on the purple side, they'll make you work up to 40 hours until the peak volume hits the belts... then it's up to 70 hours per week as a temp purple driver~

MassWineGuy

It's been three weeks since my week long UPS training. The phone rang at around 7 this morning but I let the machine get it. It was the center calling me in for work for the first time. Later I spoke to the center manager who told me not to sweat it and come in tomorrow at 9.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's been three weeks since my week long UPS training. The phone rang at around 7 this morning but I let the machine get it. It was the center calling me in for work for the first time. Later I spoke to the center manager who told me not to sweat it and come in tomorrow at 9.

Was there a reason you didn't feel like working today?

thatsmypackage

I don't blame you... This is the kind of methodology I don't like about UPS. They expect us to drop everything and go to work, with absolutely zero notice. I'm going on 3 weeks since I took the tests and still no calls... I'm afraid to make any plans beyond day to day in case they call me in. The mentality being, "If you really want the job, you will bend over backwards for it." ... Sorry, not for me. Soon as I am good and ready I'm turning in my uniforms... I'll find a driving job somewhere else that doesn't require jumping through hoops just to make a few bucks.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
When a manager or supe says don't sweat it, it actually means the opposite.