So you come in early in the AM and think it's no big deal...

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You can add up how much free time you're giving the company.... but you're not just working for free, you're also taking money from other union employees. Either the Preload would get more hours to do the job right, or more drivers would need to be hired to make up the 15 minutes times each driver not working off the clock every day.

JL 0513

my loader absolutely sucks he just throws packages on the shelf given when it's a lighter day he can actually load the truck but when it's heavy it's horrible plus he doesn't load any of my NDA's so I gotta do that myself that's why I get into work at least 15 minutes early.

Why wouldn't he load NDA's? Is there some particular reason? Because they're PAL'd to the 1000 section, first in line. They are the single most important packages to be loaded. Curious.

JL 0513

You can add up how much free time you're giving the company.... but you're not just working for free, you're also taking money from other union employees. Either the Preload would get more hours to do the job right, or more drivers would need to be hired to make up the 15 minutes times each driver not working off the clock every day.

It's one way to look at it but we all know UPS isn't going to invest more time for pre-loaders.

When I get in 25 minutes early, I'm really just helping myself, not doing someone else's work. Setting up a less stressful day and making it so I'm not rushing to get out the door. I'm not crazy about giving personal time away but it doesn't look like UPS is going to ever give us paid time before 9:00 am (or whenever your center begins). Like I said in the OP. I think we should be given 10 min. to set up DIAD, gather paperwork, and do a quick overview of load and stops for the day. These are things that need to get done and if we don't do them before PCM, they need to be done after the PCM which eats into your limited time to run NDA's.

I believe UPS feels they benefit from the way it is and know most guys set up off the clock. So it's not going to change. Surprised the union goes along with it. I just refuse to fall behind right away in the morning and feel rushed.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Why wouldn't he load NDA's? Is there some particular reason? Because they're PAL'd to the 1000 section, first in line. They are the single most important packages to be loaded. Curious.
one of my drivers doesn't want his air loaded either. Just wants it dumped into a tote on the floor of the cab.

robot

Has A Large Member
I always sit in my car before work and listen to the radio eat breakfast till exactly 7 minutes till my start time. When I walk in and punch in it's always exactly right on time. I call it the "perfect punch".

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
one of my drivers doesn't want his air loaded either. Just wants it dumped into a tote on the floor of the cab.
That's how it should be done and is the recommended way of loading airs. All airs with a commit time should be put in a tote box either in the front of the cab by drivers seat or in a tote box outside the truck. Once again they don't train them to do that, but loaders with commonsense do that. Cant teach commonsense and good decision making.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Smart drivers are going to get their time back during the day. Its not rocket science dude really. You get your time back talking to customers and little mini breaks. I don't get what people don't get about that. Go ahead and struggle like an idiot with an idiot load. Doesn't make sense to me but if someone wants to be dumb and stress out all day and run behind all day that's on them, while im chillin all day with no stress and got er on cruise control all day. Some people are just thick headed and can only think one way.

BrownChoice

Smart drivers are going to get their time back during the day. Its not rocket science dude really. You get your time back talking to customers and little mini breaks. I don't get what people don't get about that. Go ahead and struggle like an idiot with an idiot load. Doesn't make sense to me but if someone wants to be dumb and stress out all day and run behind all day that's on them, while im chillin all day with no stress and got er on cruise control all day. Some people are just thick headed and can only think one way.

I agree jump, i may work through breaks, but if that means i get done early, hellz yea!! My loads are awesome. I get $150 from drivers on x-mas eve.. Great load too btw BB58. I load 3 trucks and have 1200 pieces.. But the problem is that those 1200 pieces all come to me with an 2-3 hour period.. I chalk it up to running like a chicken wit no head!!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It's one way to look at it but we all know UPS isn't going to invest more time for pre-loaders.

When I get in 25 minutes early, I'm really just helping myself, not doing someone else's work. Setting up a less stressful day and making it so I'm not rushing to get out the door. I'm not crazy about giving personal time away but it doesn't look like UPS is going to ever give us paid time before 9:00 am (or whenever your center begins). Like I said in the OP. I think we should be given 10 min. to set up DIAD, gather paperwork, and do a quick overview of load and stops for the day. These are things that need to get done and if we don't do them before PCM, they need to be done after the PCM which eats into your limited time to run NDA's.

I believe UPS feels they benefit from the way it is and know most guys set up off the clock. So it's not going to change. Surprised the union goes along with it. I just refuse to fall behind right away in the morning and feel rushed.

If you really want to help yourself, why don't you just work the whole day for free?

Take this in the spirit in which it was intended, but you are a sheep. You really need to grow a pair to survive at UPS. It really doesn't matter what you think you should be given as a driver. No one cares.

Back in my package car days, we used to call drivers like you, "in the pit". Meaning, you'll run around in circles, banging your head against the wall, getting extremely stressed and blaming everyone else for your problems. You are down, "in the pit". At one point, every driver was down there. The smart ones found a way out.

How? By putting your foot on some supervisor's throat (figuratively, of course) and standing up for yourself. The first time takes some guts, but it gets easier from then on.

Limited time to run NDA's, you say? Nope. You take one look at your airs--AFTER start time--and if you have ANY doubt about making service, you make an executive decision that gives yourself some comfortable cushion, and say, "Nope, I can't get that many off by 10:30." And you calmly tell your supervisor. No arguing. No pleading. No bargaining. Just the facts, man.

And yes, you will get resistance. Mainly, because your previous life, in the pit, as a sheep, your supervisor knew you would do whatever he or she said. Nope. This is where your foot and the supervisor's, figurative, neck come in.

You pay union dues, right? You're a Teamster, right? Well, step in to the batter's box, son.

When the resistance comes--and it will come--restate how many airs you can get done, without rushing and without risking have some late. Don't forget your cushion either. That's important. The resistance will come again. This is when you very calmly say, "OK, lets go get the steward, because I know for a fact that I'm going to have some late air, and I want it known, with my union rep as a backup, that I've made that fact known with you, my driver supervisor."

Rinse and repeat. You won't have to do this everyday. But you will have to establish some spine to show you won't be blindly pushed around to do your job unsafely, just to make service.

And this also goes for cutoffs, calling in to report misloads, calling in for blown out pickups and anything else you need to tell your supervisors that becomes a problem. That is the key: let them know early and often, and let them make the decisions. Never assume it will work out. It won't.

For the most part, they we ease off. Yes, there will be days when your stomping foot needs find some neck, but the more it's used, the less it is needed.

Feel that? Yep, that's your hands pulling yourself out of the pit. But understand, this can only be done by YOU. And if you're not a natural scrapper, it will not be easy at first. But it gets easier, because there is comfort in knowing you won't let yourself get pushed around like a bitch.

And, by the way, the union doesn't go along with working off the clock. Any good union man or woman who sees you working off the clock is well within their rights to file a grievance against you and win easy money for your ignorance. This is why managers will often get on drivers working before their start time. They don't want to pay grievances that are so easily preventable.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Im still in awe to be honest with ya of that load how good it is. I mean really how hard is it to load a truck with some passion and most importantly some stinkin commonsense. I couldn't handle it if my truck didn't look like that everyday. Granted its not really a bulk route thank god. Dudes can keep them bulk routes forget that nonsense. I had enough of it my first few years. Id rather run 150 in the country than deal with back breaking bulk all day. Work smarter not harder as you put them miles on yourself. Anyway just wanted to reinterate your skill level BB. You could be the head loader trainer for sure lol.
Thank you. honestly, as long as it wasn't a management position, being a trainer sounds like something I wouldn't mind doing. But ups wouldn't want to pay for it. That's the PT sups job...lol.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I agree jump, i may work through breaks, but if that means i get done early, hellz yea!! My loads are awesome. I get $150 from drivers on x-mas eve.. Great load too btw BB58. I load 3 trucks and have 1200 pieces.. But the problem is that those 1200 pieces all come to me with an 2-3 hour period.. I chalk it up to running like a chicken wit no head!!
Yes, the flow in my building is generally predictable....there's a good 3 hours of cramming it down our throats every morning....then it dies..then we get what we call 730 ass rape for another hour or so lol.

M

MenInBrown

I show up at start time...I wont even get talked to about UPS by a sup until start time...then I listen. All my task are paid for.

UPS Preloader

Yeah I love how guys are pulling out right at start time and I'm there washing my truck 15 minutes after.

I wish I was loading your truck... I have one driver that tries to come in, get his diad, go though his truck and them wash it all off the clock. We've had it out a few times, but now management won't allow it as I request that they either clock him in or pay me for his time. As they don't want to do either, he's been told to put his stuff in the truck and then leave.

UPS Preloader

I'm a pre-loader. I used to come in 10 minutes early just to slowly set up my area (top of the belt) and be ready to go. So I'm already giving UPS 50 minutes a week. Then they pushed my time back 5 minutes. I still came in early. Then they pushed it back another 5 minutes so I'm starting the same time as the unload. Now, by starting me later they're taking away 50 minutes a week on top of the 50 that I already gave them. I've learned my lesson.

If I'm there 5 minutes early I stand and wait for start time. So while I begin to set up the belt packages are already rolling past me. I won't even get into the safety issue of that. At the end of the day someone has to cart the missed pieces up to me, which means my drivers (and me) are getting out of there later. Makes no sense to me why they'd want to make that trade off, but I'm willing to play this stupid game if they are.

I come in early, but only to make sure the Sups aren't doing our work. As a result, at least twice a week they have to start me early. At one point, they put in a stagger time, not only did I do my set up while packages were going by, but I also watched them go by while I was stretching. Management didn't like that so I started shutting off the belt. They didn't like that either so they eliminated the staggered start time.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Once again these numbnutts think your working for free in the morning. Yeah u might not get paid til start time, but do the math idiots, I guarantee that almost every driver some point during day talks with their customers and spends a little time in the back of the truck whether its to snatch up a drink or a snack or whatever it is. Add it up and I guarantee it will time match your am fix load time. You people are so stupid man its hilarious. Sad sad sad man.

over9five

Staff member
What's sad, sad, sad, is the people with no backbone working off the clock. How can you even defend that???
​Time to MAN UP!

over9five

Staff member
Once again these numbnutts think your working for free in the morning. Yeah u might not get paid til start time, but do the math idiots, I guarantee that almost every driver some point during day talks with their customers and spends a little time in the back of the truck whether its to snatch up a drink or a snack or whatever it is. Add it up and I guarantee it will time match your am fix load time. You people are so stupid man its hilarious. Sad sad sad man.
P.S., why you calling people "idiots" and "stupid"??? That all you got? Gotta name call cuz you know you're wrong?