So you come in early in the AM and think it's no big deal...

BrownChoice

I appreciate the honesty in this statement. Everything you do is for yourself and you don't try to impose your views on others. I think all UPSers are 18 years or older and therefore allowed to make decisions for them selves.

A toast to you!

well i know for a fact that the company IS NOT giving us bonuses or turkeys or anything else. So im going to make things easy on myself because ive learned long ago you will not make a difference in this company. If this means that when i become a driver that i come in 10 or 15 minutes early, so be it. Ill be doing something for myself by not having to deal with it later in the day. I see so many bi tch and moan but when it comes down to it, i will not be over allowed and hated by management. Sorry for my great work ethic, just because i MAY work for free a few minutes.

As of now, since im in preload, i DO NOT come in early.. Theres no need to.. But i do see how the company pretty much forces it onto people at the end of the belt with the staggered start times... I do cover for them but im not gonna get way behind because of it!!

Insincerity

I'm Insincere
well i know for a fact that the company IS NOT giving us bonuses or turkeys or anything else. So im going to make things easy on myself because ive learned long ago you will not make a difference in this company. If this means that when i become a driver that i come in 10 or 15 minutes early, so be it. Ill be doing something for myself by not having to deal with it later in the day. I see so many bi tch and moan but when it comes down to it, i will not be over allowed and hated by management. Sorry for my great work ethic, just because i MAY work for free a few minutes.

As of now, since im in preload, i DO NOT come in early.. Theres no need to.. But i do see how the company pretty much forces it onto people at the end of the belt with the staggered start times... I do cover for them but im not gonna get way behind because of it!!
Bully for you.
Whatever is in your best interests, that is the only honest answer and approach.

upschuck

We had a grievance filed on other drivers who worked off the clock a while back. After that mgmt. told all drivers to stay off the belt and out of car until start time. That didn't last too long, though.

I don't care one way or the other. Just remember, if you get injured while off clock, it's your dime.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
We had a grievance filed on other drivers who worked off the clock a while back. After that mgmt. told all drivers to stay off the belt and out of car until start time. That didn't last too long, though.

I don't care one way or the other. Just remember, if you get injured while off clock, it's your dime.

, the VERY MOMENT you set foot on UPS property to report for work you are covered by workers comp. We had some idiot trip on a parking hump on his way through the parking lot first thing in the AM. Dislocated his shoulder. Injury was reported as on the job, was out on WC for a while.

The company sets up situations such as starting the unload early and filling up the belts so that you are behind before you even start working unless you work off the clock. Tell yourself you are working off the clock to make it easier on you. Same with package car drivers coming in early to fix their load. All they are doing is making it easier for the preload to start later and have the preloaders just shovel the boxes into the cars. "Don't worry the drivers will come in early and load the car the way they like and find any misloads. It makes their day easier."

happybob

Feeders
I also remember during driving school the instructor talking about getting in early. He said this is part of being a "successful driver".

It just seems expected.
The instructor is paid to make you think you should come in early and work for free. If you arrive at the building before your start time then go sit in the break room, or stand at the counter. Your sup or center manager want to talk about the job before your start time? Politely let him/her know you are not on the clock yet. Go to the diad station at 2 minutes before your exact start time, pull the diad and punch in at your exact start time, even if you have to stand there and punch in at the exact start time. You will get the obligatory "You need to be standing at the PCM at whatever your start time is from your sup/center manager. Politely tell him/her that you punch in at your start time and they can change the location of the PCM or the location of the diad station, but they can't have it both ways. Do nothing before then. You have a lunch pail to take to the truck, a radio to take to the truck......anything else to take to the truck.....take it up after you are on the clock. Punch out on the diad after you have completed all work tasks. Sup/center manager want to talk/ask questions about your job after you have punched out? Politely tell him/her you are not on the clock but are willing to have him/her punch you back in while you answer his/her questions. Do this for one week and look at the difference in your paycheck/hours worked from the week before. Chaching!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The company sets up situations such as starting the unload early and filling up the belts so that you are behind before you even start working unless you work off the clock. Tell yourself you are working off the clock to make it easier on you. Same with package car drivers coming in early to fix their load. All they are doing is making it easier for the preload to start later and have the preloaders just shovel the boxes into the cars. "Don't worry the drivers will come in early and load the car the way they like and find any misloads. It makes their day easier."

Join in, let's learn the ABC's this year too.

What came first, the man pissing his pants, or the Depends diaper?