SOCIAL MEDIA GIANTS OPPRESSING THE RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS OF AMERICANS

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I WONDER HOW MANY OF THESE OPPRESSIVE CORPORATIONS WILL EXPERIENCE MILITANT ATTACKS IN 2021?

Can right-wing populist sentiment be banished from American life by the brute force of social-media censorship? We’re about to find out. After Wednesday’s mob invasion of the Capitol that disrupted the counting of electoral votes, big tech firms have moved, aggressively and in unison, against Donald Trump and his supporters. The companies say they want to marginalize the violent fringe, but their censorship will grow it instead.

On Thursday and Friday came the Facebook and Twitter bans of Mr. Trump.
Given the extraordinary circumstances, some commentators who normally oppose web censorship were untroubled.

An exception who deserves to be listened to is Alexei Navalny, the Russian democracy advocate and scourge of Vladimir Putin who was poisoned last year. He pointed out that, unlike the open election process that ousted Mr. Trump, social-media decisions to de-platform elected officials are unaccountable and arbitrary.
“Don’t tell me he was banned for violating Twitter rules. I get death threats here every day for many years, and Twitter doesn’t ban anyone,” Mr. Navalny tweeted.

He added that while Twitter is a private company, “we have seen many examples in Russian and China of such private companies becoming the state’s best friends and enablers when it comes to censorship.”

WHAT CAUSED THE APPLE FIRE?
1610423901794.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sportello

I WONDER HOW MANY OF THESE OPPRESSIVE CORPORATIONS WILL EXPERIENCE MILITANT ATTACKS IN 2021?

Can right-wing populist sentiment be banished from American life by the brute force of social-media censorship? We’re about to find out. After Wednesday’s mob invasion of the Capitol that disrupted the counting of electoral votes, big tech firms have moved, aggressively and in unison, against Donald Trump and his supporters. The companies say they want to marginalize the violent fringe, but their censorship will grow it instead.

Given the extraordinary circumstances, some commentators who normally oppose web censorship were untroubled.

An exception who deserves to be listened to is Alexei Navalny, the Russian democracy advocate and scourge of Vladimir Putin who was poisoned last year. He pointed out that, unlike the open election process that ousted Mr. Trump, social-media decisions to de-platform elected officials are unaccountable and arbitrary.
“Don’t tell me he was banned for violating Twitter rules. I get death threats here every day for many years, and Twitter doesn’t ban anyone,” Mr. Navalny tweeted.

He added that while Twitter is a private company, “we have seen many examples in Russian and China of such private companies becoming the state’s best friends and enablers when it comes to censorship.”

View attachment 324472
If you are going to quote a WSJ editorial in full, please credit it properly.

El Correcto

god is dead

View attachment 324472
Don’t stand on a pyre to talk all that :censored2:.

rickyb

View attachment 324472
ron paul lost control of his facebook or something like that. its ridiculous. these tech monopolies need to be broken up or soemthing else

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

View attachment 324472

Even THEY know it’s wrong. Sad that there are Americans who think it’s perfectly okay.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

Even THEY know it’s wrong. Sad that there are Americans who think it’s perfectly okay.
I agree @Operational needs ... I find it disturbing that Democrats, the traditional protectors of citizens rights, have acquiesced to huge, powerful oligopolies and monopolies for their hatred of Trump for short-term wants.
The European Union (EU) has already expressed concerns at the power of Big Tech and this will only strengthen those concerns.
Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot!

World leaders are coming forward to blast Twitter’s suspension of President Trump’s account, with many of them calling it outright censorship and a decision that should be left up to the citizens and not a private tech company.
Germany's Merkel has condemned the action.
French Minister for EU Affairs 'Clement Beaune' said he was “shocked” to see the social media platform pull Trump’s account.
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said it was a “bad sign” that social media has the power to censor Trump.
Australian Prime Minister Michael McCormack said blocking Trump amounts to censorship.
Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro’s son Eduardo raised similar concerns about Twitter’s treatment of Venezuela’s authoritarian leader Nicolas Maduro. “A world where Maduro is on social media, but Trump is suspended cannot be normal,”

1610480378018.png

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I agree @Operational needs ... I find it disturbing that Democrats, the traditional protectors of citizens rights, have acquiesced to huge, powerful oligopolies and monopolies for their hatred of Trump for short-term wants.
The European Union (EU) has already expressed concerns at the power of Big Tech and this will only strengthen those concerns.
Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot!

World leaders are coming forward to blast Twitter’s suspension of President Trump’s account, with many of them calling it outright censorship and a decision that should be left up to the citizens and not a private tech company.
Germany's Merkel has condemned the action.
French Minister for EU Affairs 'Clement Beaune' said he was “shocked” to see the social media platform pull Trump’s account.
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said it was a “bad sign” that social media has the power to censor Trump.
Australian Prime Minister Michael McCormack said blocking Trump amounts to censorship.
Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro’s son Eduardo raised similar concerns about Twitter’s treatment of Venezuela’s authoritarian leader Nicolas Maduro. “A world where Maduro is on social media, but Trump is suspended cannot be normal,”

View attachment 324536

They are rightfully concerned because they’re also realizing that Twitter and Facebook could also censor things in THEIR countries if they so choose.

Last edited:

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

They are rightfully concerned because they’re also realizing that Twitter and Facebook could also censor things in THEIR countries if they do choose.
They already have and Europe is rather sensitive regarding the suppression of speech after the NAZIs.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I'm a Big Fat DUMMY!

DUMMY!

DUMMY!DUMMY!
DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!
DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!
DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!
DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!
DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!
DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!
DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!DUMMY!
DUMMY!
DUMMY!DUMMY!

DUMMY!DUMMY!