Sociology observations.

ups1990

For those of us drivers with many years on the same route. We have experienced sociological observations. For instance in my case. Delivering to a home with children, who as the years go by, some turn for the worst and others live as responsible adults.

I, can recall seeing over some years, a young boy. Who went from riding a bycicle to hanging out with gangs. I would wave to him as a child and now as an adult, while standing on the corner with His hommies.

helenofcalifornia

I really believe that it all comes down to who your kids hang out with. You can take them to church, go to grandma's every Sunday night for dinner, be on them about homework, etc., but it is who they hang out with. You would like to think you have some control over this very important aspect of their lives, but kids will always find a way to do what they want.

BTW, does the young gangster on the corner wave back at you?

rod

Retired 22 years
I really believe that it all comes down to who your kids hang out with. You can take them to church, go to grandma's every Sunday night for dinner, be on them about homework, etc., but it is who they hang out with. You would like to think you have some control over this very important aspect of their lives, but kids will always find a way to do what they want.

It wouldn't be a wave now---- it would be flashing a gang sign.:sad-little:

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz

It wouldn't be a wave now---- it would be flashing a gang sign.:sad-little:

Sad but true

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It's always nurture. Those claiming nature are those that failed at parenting.

I disagree to some extent. I have 3 children with 3 distinct personalities and the friends can definitely be of influence. You can instill the values but as the kids grow into adulthood can make choices for themselves. I'm no Dr. Phil, just a parent dealing with kids 16 to 21.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's always nurture. Those claiming nature are those that failed at parenting.

Today's young adults have so many more "distractions" that the majority of us here did not have to deal with when we were growing up. I have always felt that if you haven't instilled the values in your children by the time they are 5 or 6 then you will lost your chance to do so as they are most influenced by those around them after that point. As helen said, it is primarily the kids that they hang out with that will influence them and you can only hope that your lessons of right and wrong will not have been in vain.

BM, isn't that a fun age range?

over9five

Staff member
You can't say that every lowlife and criminal in the world had parents that failed.

Every one of us has free will.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Of my 3 kids, one is a low life, criminal type. It was a road he chose and the rest of the family didn't. We were good parents. Haven't seen or heard from him for over 15 years. That's life sometimes. :dissapointed:

I have close relationships with my 2 daughters and their kids.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I disagree to some extent. I have 3 children with 3 distinct personalities and the friends can definitely be of influence. You can instill the values but as the kids grow into adulthood can make choices for themselves. I'm no Dr. Phil, just a parent dealing with kids 16 to 21.

I completely agree with you - I believe friends are a huge influence, but isn't that nurture?

over9five

Staff member
Of my 3 kids, one is a low life, criminal type. It was a road he chose and the rest of the family didn't. We were good parents. Haven't seen or heard from him for over 15 years. That's life sometimes. :dissapointed:

I have close relationships with my 2 daughters and their kids.

Exactly my point. Good parents can raise kids who choose to go bad.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
You can't say that every lowlife and criminal in the world had parents that failed.

Every one of us has free will.

I believe that for every lowlife & criminal out there, if you did a survey, the vast, vast majority had parents that were not good at parenting, they were single parents, or there were no parents at all.

ups1990

Yes, He does. I've always been friendly with them all. In return, they've treated me with respect.

Nature or nurture? What a fascinating question. This topic would cover just about everything dealing with life. In raising a son now. My hope is for nurture.