sorrows of a unloader

shagmon

Hi I've ben working at UPS for about 6 weeks as a unloader. Now that peak season is over, my supervisor told me and a few others that they have very "low volume" from now on and told us we aren't needed anymore.I am confused because i was paying my union dues and now it looks like they will "call me whenever they need me" but i am still an employee and i thought we are guaranteed a certain amount of hours each week......

fres431

You've been laid of However make sure they officially notify you and make sure ya get a steward that way they can't terminate ya for job abandonment. When volume picks up again you'll be out back on

PT Car Washer

You've been laid of However make sure they officially notify you and make sure ya get a steward that way they can't terminate ya for job abandonment. When volume picks up again you'll be out back on
Check in to a Union withdraw card or you will be paying dues for all the weeks you are laid off.

TwnWrkr

Hi I've ben working at UPS for about 6 weeks as a unloader. Now that peak season is over, my supervisor told me and a few others that they have very "low volume" from now on and told us we aren't needed anymore.I am confused because i was paying my union dues and now it looks like they will "call me whenever they need me" but i am still an employee and i thought we are guaranteed a certain amount of hours each week......

UPSGUY72

You need to talk to the HR person and find out your real status. But since you say you been working for UPS for only 6 weeks that means your where hired during the free period meaning you where hired as a seasonal employee unless they kept you after Jan 15. In which that case you would be consider a permanent employee. Your where paying union dues because you where working in a union shop.

You have been laid off welcome to the working world it happens to millions of people each week. Hopefully they will call you back but since you where hired in Nov don't count on it. You can reapply for a permanent job online or for another seasonal gig next year.

TwnWrkr

why are you paying union dues? you need to work 40 out of 70 days(5 days x week x 8 weeks =40 days) You need to work 40 days to make book.I don`t think you were paying dues.

PT Car Washer

So you rather have scabs working than paying members be it temporary or permanent.

Or is it you can be a scab if your a temp.
I guess I mean all permanent employees should be Union members. Seasonal and temps should not have to pay dues. I believe you are saying UPS will abuse the seasonal and temps. Sure they will and they do. The only person you are punishing is that $10/hr seasonal or temp.

UPSGUY72

I guess I mean all permanent employees should be Union members. Seasonal and temps should not have to pay dues. I believe you are saying UPS will abuse the seasonal and temps. Sure they will and they do. The only person you are punishing is that $10/hr seasonal or temp.

So what Temp / seasonal should pay the one that Start in June or just the ones that start in Nov and Dec. Also if they get hired on as FT then should they have to pay back dues or not.

As i see it you work in a union shop temporary you should be paying union dues. When you become permanent you then should have to pay initiation fees.

PT Car Washer

So what Temp / seasonal should pay the one that Start in June or just the ones that start in Nov and Dec. Also if they get hired on as FT then should they have to pay back dues or not.

As i see it you work in a union shop temporary you should be paying union dues. When you become permanent you then should have to pay initiation fees.
I agree with what you are saying. The only thing is the IBT gave UPS the choices and UPS took advantage of it.

Jahrose

Yes same thing happened to me. I am very confused, they never said we were seasonal employees and I am paying union dues and a 25 int fee on my check. I took this job as a steady job or otherwise I would of not bothered to take it. Section 5, article 22 of the union master agreement saids permanent part timers are guaranteed 3.5 hours a week no matter if there is work or not. I counted on working on Monday and now i have no work. What can I do? Do I call HR or the union. I have been very happy there even though the work is hard.

PT Car Washer

Yes same thing happened to me. I am very confused, they never said we were seasonal employees and I am paying union dues and a 25 int fee on my check. I took this job as a steady job or otherwise I would of not bothered to take it. Section 5, article 22 of the union master agreement saids permanent part timers are guaranteed 3.5 hours a week no matter if there is work or not. I counted on working on Monday and now i have no work. What can I do? Do I call HR or the union. I have been very happy there even though the work is hard.
I believe you mean 3.5 hours a day. Call the Union Hall and find out what your options are. This time of year gets a little strange with no volume one day and blows up the next.

rod

Retired 22 years

Sorry you fell for that BS they tell all the new peak employees that are hired during the free pierod. They don't dare say "we want to hire you for just a few weeks and no matter how many breaks you have skipped or how unsafe you worked trying to meet their numbers you will be let go (polite way of saying you are fired) right after Christmas".