Sorter, or stick with loading/unloading?

nystripe96

I feel pretty confident I'm going to get hired at my local Hub sometime this fall. Is trying to become a sorter even worth it, or should I stick with the loader/unloader position once hired? I work another part time job, so I'm not sure if double the workload as a sorter is worth the extra $1/hr. Just wanted some feedback, thanks

steward71

I sorted for 5 years before before taking SPA and loved it over loading, unloading or and the smalls area did all those for 10 years before sorting. good luck.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I feel pretty confident I'm going to get hired at my local Hub sometime this fall. Is trying to become a sorter even worth it, or should I stick with the loader/unloader position once hired? I work another part time job, so I'm not sure if double the workload as a sorter is worth the extra $1/hr. Just wanted some feedback, thanks

Really anything would be good.

If you get preload, consider it a death sentence. Not that you'll be walking 6+ miles a night ( in four hours ) for 5 days straight while carrying random weights. Consider it so because once your good at it they will never want you to go any where else. Once you're good at preload, you'll be there for an age and a half.

Preload is the only thing you'll have to worry about.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Really anything would be good.

If you get preload, consider it a death sentence. Not that you'll be walking 6+ miles a night ( in four hours ) for 5 days straight while carrying random weights. Consider it so because once your good at it they will never want you to go any where else. Once you're good at preload, you'll be there for an age and a half.

Preload is the only thing you'll have to worry about.

all hourly jobs are unhealthy. Don't be fooled into thinking preload belt to car or boxline is the "only one" or a holy grail of difficulty...though it is one of the worst for sure.

Eight centers, three buildings of: Unload, load, sort aisles, pickoffs, preload, vehicile positioner, preload sort/ secondary, SPA, DCAP, air sort, palette guy, small sort, bulk driver, bulk sort, rewraps :D, shuttles, customer counter clerk :D, air driver, FT driver,....others im missing

They all have good days and bad days and can put you at risk for something. And most importantly...

"THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER"

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
all hourly jobs are unhealthy. Don't be fooled into thinking preload belt to car or boxline is the "only one" or a holy grail of difficulty...though it is one of the worst for sure.

Eight centers, three buildings of: Unload, load, sort aisles, pickoffs, preload, vehicile positioner, preload sort/ secondary, SPA, DCAP, air sort, palette guy, small sort, bulk driver, bulk sort, rewraps :D, shuttles, customer counter clerk :D, air driver, FT driver,....others im missing

They all have good days and bad days and can put you at risk for something. And most importantly...

"THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER"

I've been with most of them, all cake campared to preload. I've been on unload, I asked if I could remain there, they always say here its the "hardest" job EVER. Rewraps is set up for old and useless. small sort, dont get me started. Pickoff is always sought after. I've done it, and I was bored like a plank. I've talked with air sort, and they gained 20 pounds.

It always a bad bay for a preloader. Its why I like full time drivers, because I always feel their pain. Too bad though, most of them came from easy jobs. Most of them stay because of their easy past. I've only meet 2 from preload, those worked preload for 8 years before getting a chance at driving.

This is after over 40+ I've asked or was told by others.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Depends on the building you get hired at.

If sorting involves lifting packages above the shoulder or placing them on a floor level belt, you will thank yourself later in life because your shoulders and back will feel much better. Sorters sort at around 1000 packages per hour or more and if half of those packages go to top belts or bottom belts, that will take it's toll on most people.

If sorting is pretty much set up as a push or pull on a waist high belt, then this is not that bad on your body.

Unload is hot, dusty job but you manage to keep most packages in your power zone. Pretty much the same for load.

Preload is a mixed bag but almost as bad on your body as sorting.

Small Sort - pretty easy on your body until you start carrying 3 or 4 bags over to the gathering/return belt.

goetface

Hi, Nystripe96, I've ending my 5th week as an unload, my body feels pretty much adjusted, although I have at least 1 night a week where Im just tierd and kinda start off slow and dont care, before no time once my body warms up im good to go. At around week 3 my lead was pushing me for sort and gave me the list, I was already interested so no biggie, after deciphering the incredibly horribly put together list and making my own ill be taking the test next friday. I work nights so its really not hot at all on my shift, dusty yes, do you still sweat a ton? yes. As far as our sort goes, they have waist level belts, and they have above shoulder and floor belts. As far as im learning it doesn't seem as if they will be putting me in as a full part time sorter, my lead said they would just be putting me on towards the end to get a fill. Reason why I believe this is because we have a unloader in our unload maybe 2 that are also sort certified but only go on crazy nights when they really need them, I think we are just insurance for them. My goal is really to get to Sup position, and well my sup and lead and no doubt HR, and so forth know this, as they seem to tell me they know it before I've told them, im still not 100% on doing sup but ill take it as it comes.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've been with most of them, all cake campared to preload. I've been on unload, I asked if I could remain there, they always say here its the "hardest" job EVER. Rewraps is set up for old and useless. small sort, dont get me started. Pickoff is always sought after. I've done it, and I was bored like a plank. I've talked with air sort, and they gained 20 pounds.

It always a bad bay for a preloader. Its why I like full time drivers, because I always feel their pain. Too bad though, most of them came from easy jobs. Most of them stay because of their easy past. I've only meet 2 from preload, those worked preload for 8 years before getting a chance at driving.

This is after over 40+ I've asked or was told by others.
Well you just made my point. What I was trying to say is that everyone is different and has certain physical limitations as well as advantages. NO matter who you are.

I have DONE all of those jobs, not just asked around. So I'm speaking from my own advantage and limitation perspective.

Preload is not the hardest, but it is up there. Sorry if that disappoints you or doesn't meet your tall tales to others ;0

As hoax said, pickoffs and sort aisles can be far worse depending on setup, load, and other factors.

some people only last a few months on aisles. I've had awful pain depending on the building setup ..then again in one of the smaller buildings, there was only 6 belts and like Hoax said most of the belts were waist level or below (only two top). You can tear rotator cuffs, injure shoulder muscles very easily on the sort aisle.

Also pickoffs, you can get repetitve stress injury on the outside of arms (triceps) and also shoulders, back (leaning over belt)...etc. I remember losing a lot of sleep at night because of side-of-the-arm pain.

Anyway, be careful and whatever work UPS finds you will hurt a little, the key is MANAGEMENT finding what your body is best designed for and utilizing people correctly.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
" I've talked with air sort, and they gained 20 pounds. "
Hey I have been an air guy for 10 years and I just droped 40 LBS. We don't sit on our butt and eat pizza every night you know ! LOL. I did spent some quality time in the unload one very hot night last summer. I don't think I will be going back any time soon.