South Africa FIFA World Cup 2010

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
A huge game getting ready to start, Australia and Germany, Should be a great battle, Gotta Love The World Cup!!!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Wow, Germany was impressive. A 4-0 win over a very unorganized Australia team, Sure thought it would be a better game. Congrats to Germany on winning their opener in grand fashion, a very young German squad was very creative in their movements off the ball and if they continue that, they will be very, very hard to beat!!

tieguy

Banned
I would agree the US outplayed the English in the first half and had far more legitimate chances to score. However after the goal it's like the US decided one was enough and they would just sit back and play defense. The Brits took the game to US in the second half. If the US wants to go far in this tournament they will have to attack more than they did in that second half.

Congrats to Ghana on their HUGE win over Serbia, first ever win in a world cup by an African team, IN AFRICA!!! Fantastic!!

I don't claim to be a soccer expert but it looks like playing conservative and taking the tie was a win of sorts for the us?

DS

Fenderbender
Toronto is insanely multicultural and its a huge deal about town.If I took the time to stop and pick up all the flags the blow off cars I could open a stand.
My wife is all over it,she has a fantasy team that does not include me.None of my fantasies involve sports , but I must admit I have to admire their abilities
with ball control and precision passing.We went to a MLS game last month,Toronto FC vs New England ...at bmo field .Big money.Soccer is growing

Babagounj

Strength through joy
APA-Mogadishu-(Somalia) – Islamist militants of the Hezbal Islam rebel group have killed two football fans and arrested ten others after attacking a house where fans were watching the World Cup game between Argentina and Nigeria in the Huruwaa neighborhood north-east of the capital Mogadishu on Saturday.
Residents say that heavily armed militants stormed a house where football fans were secretly watching the match, which has been prohibited in the Islamist-controlled regions in Somalia.
“Two young men who tried to jump over the wall were shot and killed while ten others including my husband and my teenage son were taken to Islamist custody in the village” Halima Ahmed, a mother of five children said in a telephone interview with APA on Sunday morning.
Islamist militia leader Sheikh Mohamed Abu Abdalla said that those in custody have broken the law and will be dealt with in accordance with Islamic law.
Prior to the World Cup opening, the Islamists in Somalia warned people against watching the matches, saying that it was not compatible with Islamic law and that those founding watching football will be brought before Islamic courts.
“Football descended from the old Christian cultures and our Islamic administration will never allow watching it. We are giving our last warning to the people,” Sheikh Abu Yahya Al Iraqi said, while addressing crowds in the Suqa Holaha village north of Mogadishu, hours before the World Cup kick off on Friday.

diesel96

You must have been watching the wrong game. It's the way the ball is "handled" is what makes the difference. The Brits were no where close to the goal with their shots. Kicked one directly at the Keeper. Corner kicks means the ball went out of bounds. Even the Commentators commented on how the US outplayed England!! "Giving us one" is part of the game!

Let's have the game stats do the talking.....

England .........................United States

18(6).... Shot (on Goal).... 12(4)
12 .........Fouls ................14
8 ...........Corner Kicks........ 4
5 ............Offsides............ 2
57% ........Possession......... 44%
3 ............Yellow Cards....... 3
0 ...........Red Cards ...........0
3 ............Saves ...............5

klein

Für Meno :)
World Soccer Cup to me, and the majority of the world,is bigger then the Olympics. Been trying to catch every game I can . Watched defending champs Italy only play a 1;1 tie with Paraquary today.
Sofar, the Germans do look the best.
But , that can all change.
They do try to "save" themselves for the much tougher games later on.

Mexico was really fanatic down there. Every shop , store, or hotel lobby... every Mexican is wearing a green National Jersey. I bought 2 of them. Cheered them on during a game down there.
Awesome time ! :):happy-very:

I got my german car flag.... already got compliments for that here.
Fun, fun, fun :)

rod

Retired 22 years
2 things I find boring----NASCAR and soccer. Now if they would make those soccer players run around the track at the same time the NASCAR race is going on it might be worth watching.:peaceful:

klein

Atleast Soccer doesn't shut down for commercials. The game continues from start to end. (besides Halftime ).
Which other sport attracts 120.000 seating stadiums worldwide, and is still hard to get a ticket any given week ?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/100614/sports/soccer_world___wrapup3__pix_tv
WRAPUP 3-Soccer-World-Police clash with workers in first unrest

By Barry Moody
JOHANNESBURG, June 14 (Reuters) - South African police fired tear gas and rubber bullets at protesting security workers in the coastal city of Durban early on Monday in the first serious trouble at the World Cup.
In Durban, riot police wearing armour and helmets chased stewards who had earlier been responsible for the security of 62,660 fans at the new futuristic Moses Mabhida stadium.
One woman hit by a rubber bullet lay outside the stadium for nearly an hour before an ambulance took her away.
Police blasted teargas as the disgruntled staff, bricks and rocks in hand, rampaged down a Durban highway. Scores of police coralled the protesters before they reached the city centre. After a tense standoff, the workers dispersed.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
US%20in%20the%20World%20Cup.jpg

diesel96

Give the politics a break on this thread Lue.... I'm begining to think your suffering OCD......

Anyway.....What's that sound during the games....African Killerbees ??? or the Vuvuzelas.....apparently a homegrown elongated gazoo.......well it's here to stay, FIFA has defended the home-grown horn from a barrage of complaints..... however, probably the last world Cup in Africa for a long time.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8737455.stm

klein

Give the politics a break on this thread Lue.... I'm begining to think your suffering OCD......

Anyway.....What's that sound during the games....African Killerbees ??? or the Vuvuzelas.....apparently a homegrown elongated gazoo.......well it's here to stay, FIFA has defended the home-grown horn from a barrage of complaints..... however, probably the last world Cup in Africa for a long time.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8737455.stm

Yeah, they bug me , too. It's not the same soccer atmosphere.
Where could would normally hear the audience cheering on thier teams, with singing songs, or "Deutschland, Deutschland", etc.
Maybe in round 2, when the games get really serious, and it's do or die , it will come back ?
I hope so !

Just hearing buzzing noises all game long, sucks !

As for Lue, can't wait for him to blame Obama, that the US team didn't win the cup !!!!!!

fxdwg

Long Time Member
The vuvuzelas probably annoy the players, but I don't have an issue with it.
I personally think it adds to the game.
Ever been to a domed stadium for a pro football game? OMG talk about noise!!!!

klein

The vuvuzelas probably annoy the players, but I don't have an issue with it.
I personally think it adds to the game.
Ever been to a domed stadium for a pro football game? OMG talk about noise!!!!

Actually, if I recall right. The sound in South African Stadiums has the same decibal reading of 7 jetplanes, they said.
I thought, maybe alone, on that reason, they could ban those nasty horns, being a health issue.

by the way, watched Brazil vrs N. Korea today. Only 2:1.

Sofar, only the Germans really should how good they are.
Defending champs Italy only tied , and semi-finalist Portugal, tied as well, against some odd team

Babagounj

Strength through joy
(Cleveland Plain Dealer)- I love the World Cup. And I love America — it’s my hometown! But I would not love to see America win the World Cup.
Frankly, we don’t need another feather in our already overstuffed cap. And considering soccer is the world’s game — and most of the world is at odds with America at any given moment — I think it might be a nice idea for Uncle Sam, in an effort to promote world harmony, to lie down in South Africa.
Now, in all likelihood, the U.S. is not going to be in a position to win the World Cup. But on the off-chance that Landon Donovan and friends have thoughts of reprising that Miracle-on-Ice thing — actually, “Miracle-on-the-Pitch” doesn’t have the same ring to it — I must implore my fellow Americans to tank.
Seriously.
The smart play, diplomatically, would be to lose with grace.
Americans are a pretty xenophobic lot when, in truth, we’re the ones who provoke an intense dislike. Most of the world does not threaten us; rather, most of the world is terrified by us. We’re a little too big, a little too rich and a little too powerful and, every once in a while, we muscle up and flex our military might in foreign lands.
There is much fear and loathing of America elsewhere. We seldom imagine what it would be like if the Army boot were on the other foot.
So, yes, I’m rooting for the other guy in South Africa, as long as the other guy is not England.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Actually, if I recall right. The sound in South African Stadiums has the same decibal reading of 7 jetplanes, they said.
I thought, maybe alone, on that reason, they could ban those nasty horns, being a health issue.

by the way, watched Brazil vrs N. Korea today. Only 2:1.

Sofar, only the Germans really should how good they are.
Defending champs Italy only tied , and semi-finalist Portugal, tied as well, against some odd team

That's part of the sport at that level; just like missed shots and roll-ins