South Florida Dist. Office closed

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
the south florida dist. offices have been closed as of Friday. employees were given a box and told to clean out their desks. on Monday all employees are to report to the Hialeah center where they will "try to accmomodate everyone". the cleaning people knew before the employees bc the spanish speaking cleaning crew told one of spanish speaking employees that they were told not to come back after the second week in Dec. this is how they found out, not feom UPS. i worked in this building in PCA when that department was outsourced. i still have friends that are now affected and impacted. happy holidays and happy new year from your employeer, UPS

the south florida dist. offices have been closed as of Friday. employees were given a box and told to clean out their desks. on Monday all employees are to report to the Hialeah center where they will "try to accmomodate everyone". the cleaning people knew before the employees bc the spanish speaking cleaning crew told one of spanish speaking employees that they were told not to come back after the second week in Dec. this is how they found out, not feom UPS. i worked in this building in PCA when that department was outsourced. i still have friends that are now affected and impacted. happy holidays and happy new year from your employeer, UPS
Two questions.
1. how far is it from point a to point b?
2. what does accommodate mean? have a job for them or just have room for them?

pretzel_man

This is only one of many district / region consolidations that are coming.

The exact same thing happened in early 2008. The majority of those impacted will be region / district staff.

Of course, the economy was different a year ago, but I think most got "accomodated" properly.

As was the case a year ago, I will bet that region HR will be responsible for creating a "bench" with those whose jobs were consolidated and tracking the "bench" until a new position is identified.

P-Man

swampy1

They are closing the office, not getting rid of the jobs. They are moving the functions to hialeah to reduce cost. Oh, they had a xmas party today. No one has cleaned out a desk. This isn't happening until mid January.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
Two questions.
1. how far is it from point a to point b?
2. what does accommodate mean? have a job for them or just have room for them?

answer to number one - on a perfect day, no rain, no car accidents, a rush hour drive from point a to point b is roughly 35-40 minutes. please note that in south florida, there is no such animal as a perfect day on the roads. there are always traffic jams and dead stop to stop and go traffic.

the answer to number two is unknown. clearly there will not be jobs for everyone. this dist office has be dwindling in numbers of employees. when i was downsized/outsourced, my entire dept left. in this dist office now are accounting, sales, and some b/d. i am not sure if the intl dept is still there or not.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
They are closing the office, not getting rid of the jobs. They are moving the functions to hialeah to reduce cost. Oh, they had a xmas party today. No one has cleaned out a desk. This isn't happening until mid January.

not according to my former co-workers who are affected by this.