Spouse gets Dropped from Health Ins w/o Notification (On topic)

Sandi

I am spouse of long time non-union UPS employee and was dropped by UPS health insurance for supposedly not checking a box during enrollment stating that I wasn't eligible for another plan. I wasn't notified by UPS and only found out that I had been dropped when I rec'd letter from CVS stating they couldn't fill a mail-in prescription. When we enrolled, my name was listed as a participant on the health insurance. Of course, we didn't print the enrollment papers because we have NEVER had an issue with enrollment. My husband found out today that this has also happened to several other co-worker's spouse's.

We have filed a claim hoping to get me re-instated but have been told by HR that this probably won't happen. If your spouse is on your plan, you may want to check to see if indeed he/she still is.

Now we are trying to find out how many others are in similar situations. Anyone else out there encounter this problem?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I
I am spouse of long time non-union UPS employee and was dropped by UPS health insurance for supposedly not checking a box during enrollment stating that I wasn't eligible for another plan. I wasn't notified by UPS and only found out that I had been dropped when I rec'd letter from CVS stating they couldn't fill a mail-in prescription. When we enrolled, my name was listed as a participant on the health insurance. Of course, we didn't print the enrollment papers because we have NEVER had an issue with enrollment. My husband found out today that this has also happened to several other co-worker's spouse's.

We have filed a claim hoping to get me re-instated but have been told by HR that this probably won't happen. If your spouse is on your plan, you may want to check to see if indeed he/she still is.

Now we are trying to find out how many others are in similar situations. Anyone else out there encounter this problem?
The way I understand it is if your employer offers healthcare coverage you're no longer covered under the ups management plan.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Be very persistent and nice about but bug the hell out of them.
Try and put the guilt trip on them (you are a woman, right).
Don't get emotional.
Get them to accept this as their problem to solve.
Be persistent.
Check that box next year.

rod

Retired 22 years
Isn't the spouses getting dropped if they have coverage from another employer only for management?

I know when I was working anything attributed to my wife had to go through her State Employee insurance first- then if anything was left we turned that into UPS and they normally paid it.

Sandi

I understand that UPS can drop a spouse if they are eligible for another plan - even if they don't take that plan. I am NOT eligible for any other plan.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You want UPS to notify you about you incorrectly notifying them that you were ineligible for another plan.

Do you live in FL?
I think maybe what she wants is for UPS to give her some advance notice before cancelling her health insurance, along with a grace period in which to correct a minor clerical error.

Sandi

Want I am wanting is to find out if others have had a similar problem - others getting cancelled without realizing it. The enrollment process wasn't clear to us so and a few others that work with my husband. If we can show that there are many people that this process affected, it can be corrected for the group. This thread isn't intended to be a "poor me" or political issue - we are just wanting to see how many others may have had a similar problem.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
UPS defaulted everyone (non-union) to no spousal coverage this year regardless of previous year status. If you didn't enroll by the deadline or didn't change the default entry it will cost you. Shame on UPS for doing this. All status changes should be verified while there is opportunity to change. You're going to have to pay for an Obamacare plan or you'll be fined by the government (shout out to the dems that rammed this down your throat).

By The Book

I don't think they needed to inform you that you didn't check the correct box. They aren't going to send a letter to you asking if you filled out your enrollment form correctly. That being said it doesn't seem right that they can't have you send in a new signed enrollment form with your signatures on it and update the system.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I don't think they needed to inform you that you didn't check the correct box. They aren't going to send a letter to you asking if you filled out your enrollment form correctly. That being said it doesn't seem right that they can't have you send in a new signed enrollment form with your signatures on it and update the system.
The box should have been checked based on 2014 coverage. UPS did it with tobacco use too. I have never used tobacco products in my life yet UPS defaults me to being a tobacco user? Come on.

By The Book

The box should have been checked based on 2014 coverage. UPS did it with tobacco use too. I have never used tobacco products in my life yet UPS defaults me to being a tobacco user? Come on.
Not a way to take care of those that take care of you. Big company, one size fits all I guess. Didn't they inform you all about how to fill these forms out? As an hourly it blows me away some of the things we have to adjust to like, well Orion for example.

TUT

Really it is a messed up system, you can see what they did, and why does a simple error like this mean your out of luck for a year? This is a racket, not only UPS, but this system we are dealing with. Make a mouse click mistake of all things, too bad, now go away. Yeah that is the ideals we went to school for.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Not a way to take care of those that take care of you. Big company, one size fits all I guess. Didn't they inform you all about how to fill these forms out? As an hourly it blows me away some of the things we have to adjust to like, well Orion for example.
They communicated what the defaults would be but you know (and they know) that out of thousands and thousands of employees defaulting the wrong way that some would mess up. What percentage of 2014 non-smokers actually STARTED smoking this year? UPS assumed we all did. That's a $150 per month penalty for those that rushed through their enrollment and missed it or didn't enroll. Come on.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Want I am wanting is to find out if others have had a similar problem - others getting cancelled without realizing it. The enrollment process wasn't clear to us so and a few others that work with my husband. If we can show that there are many people that this process affected, it can be corrected for the group. This thread isn't intended to be a "poor me" or political issue - we are just wanting to see how many others may have had a similar problem.
Please stay on topic in this thread.
The OP is trying to see what recourse she has and if this has happened to others.
Anything political in nature will be deleted or moved to the following thread which is an ongoing discussion of Obamacare impact on UPSers:
http://www.browncafe.com/community/...ades-will-continue-until.350253/#post-1140004

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Bookmarking for future "Should I go management" threads. Sorry you're going through this OP, least you can get a 3500.00 Mercedes Benz discount with a @UPS domain unlike us hourlies.