Squaring shoulders

Holydriver

So when we close the bulkhead door, we are supposed to square our shoulders to the door. This means that we are supposed to exit the package area, do an about face so that we are facing the bulk head (thus squaring our shoulders) and close the door. After the door is close you will do a left face in order to exit the cab of the vehicle. My understanding of this is that squaring your shoulders will reduce strain on the shoulder joint and minimize an injury. This makes sense to me.

So, please, answer me this, wise UPSers. When you exit the cab of the vehicle you are supposed to grab the handrail. However, by grabbing the hand rail and exiting the vehicle, you are putting just as much strain on your shoulder as you would be closing the bulk head had you not squared your shoulders, right? I mean, who squares their shoulders to the hand rail and walks out of the vehicle side ways?

Im not trying to be difficult, I use my hand rail about 15% of the exits, but I prefer to grab with my right hand so I usually use the corner of the door as a handrail about 60% of the time. The remainder of the time I keep my hand on the handle of the bulkhead and easy my way out of the truck with it. Im just trying to figure out if the handrail is that much safer on the shoulders. I mean, I have a shoulder impingement on my right shoulder and who knows how that happened

ManInBrown

The squaring of the shoulders to the bulkhead door has been a hot topic here as well for the past few months. Almost every driver that gets a ride has been spoken too about it. I actually agree with the thinking on it. It's one little gig I don't mind being corrected on. I dont agree with the squaring to the handrail. You're not closing anything. You're just grabbing something

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, you should square your shoulders to the bulkhead----this reduces the strain on your shoulder.

No, you should not use the door when you exit the PC as that is not a fixed object.

Holydriver

The squaring of the shoulders to the bulkhead door has been a hot topic here as well for the past few months. Almost every driver that gets a ride has been spoken too about it. I actually agree with the thinking on it. It's one little gig I don't mind being corrected on. I dont agree with the squaring to the handrail. You're not closing anything. You're just grabbing something
yes, youre grabbing it in front of you and maintaining hold of it until you exit the vehicle, which means you would be reaching up and somewhat behind your body once youre out of the truck. this cant be good on the shoulder. and if you were to slip, that sudden motion would likely cause a jerk to your shoulder creating a major injury.

ManInBrown

yes, youre grabbing it in front of you and maintaining hold of it until you exit the vehicle, which means you would be reaching up and somewhat behind your body once youre out of the truck. this cant be good on the shoulder. and if you were to slip, that sudden motion would likely cause a jerk to your shoulder creating a major injury.
Kind of see where you're coming from now. You are reaching back maintaining contact as you're stepping out

Holydriver

Kind of see where you're coming from now. You are reaching back maintaining contact as you're stepping out
yes. like i said, i have a shoulder injury now and im not blaming work. the thing is, the ball and socket joint of your shoulder is basically graded a C- in terms of evolution. it moves well, but its prone to injury very easily. you got to watch your shoulders

JackStraw

Don't know what kinda BH doors everyone has, but mine closes with a flick of the wrist with zero effort. It's not like the door weighs 70 pounds and not on a track. This is just another ticky-tack thing management has come up with that they can reprimand you for.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Now if you were to properly exit the vehicle you should exit by backing out of the doorway while holding onto the handrail. This would keep your shoulders square to the handrail.
If you think about it, by stepping out of the package car and grabbing the handrail with your left hand you are placing stress on the shoulder as you exit and the arm is pulled behind you until you release you grip.
Double standards to suit agendas

Holydriver

Now if you were to properly exit the vehicle you should exit by backing out of the doorway while holding onto the handrail. This would keep your shoulders square to the handrail.
If you think about it, by stepping out of the package car and grabbing the handrail with your left hand you are placing stress on the shoulder as you exit and the arm is pulled behind you until you release you grip.
Double standards to suit agendas
So ups says it's safer to step out of a truck in a manner in which I cannot look before stepping? By going out backward it's harder to look where I'm going

gman042

Been around the block a few times
So ups says it's safer to step out of a truck in a manner in which I cannot look before stepping? By going out backward it's harder to look where I'm going
I have been told that is the theory for 3 points of contact when exiting the vehicle. You leave the truck like you enter, facing the interior. Just saying......

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Why don't we all just show up to work wrapped in bubble wrap !!
Christ sakes they are outah control now a days !