St. Louis (Earth City Mo.) Appointment With HR For Feeder Driver Position

ltl

Hello all,

I have spent hours reading the online contract and Local 688 rider as well as searching posts in this forum for answers to my questions and concerns. (I currently have a $90,000 a year bid run LTL job. However, I have another 25 years to work, and the driver cameras are wearing on me although I am not getting written up over them).

It appears Earth City Parcel is hiring full time permanent Feeder Drivers off the street, so I applied.

The forums have been very helpful with revealing the "bait and switch" ads, stringing folks along to keep them from working enough to get seniority (seems to be a small terminal thing?) ETC.

It would be very much appreciate if I could get any information about this situation - especially from someone in that terminal.

Living on $21 an hour working only forty hours a week is doable IF there are no games and I get the opportunity to work enough to reach seniority. I'm playing the long game with an eye to retirement, health insurance and reaching top pay. I don't mind being the low man again.

How is it that UPS has enough business to hire off the street for such a great job when some companies are laying drivers off or leaving them at home? Perhaps it is the nature of Parcel VS Freight?

Thank you all.

ManInBrown

If you’re worried about cameras where you are, don’t even bother coming here. There isn’t a company in the world, where employees are harassed more than UPS.

Only company where as soon as you are hired, they are working behind the scenes trying to figure out a way to fire you.

rod

Retired 22 years
If you’re worried about cameras where you are, don’t even bother coming here. There isn’t a company in the world, where employees are harassed more than UPS.

Only company where as soon as you are hired, they are working behind the scenes trying to figure out a way to fire you.

How true. My old Union Steward once ask our center manager why UPS only hired liars and thieves? :-). Starting the first day you are there you are accused of stealing time from the company and then lying about it.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
8pm to 6am depending on hang ups. I meet an Oklahoma City driver.
I’m not sure about other areas but where I work you can max out your hours every day if you wanted to. Or you could get your 10 and hit the door. It’s really up to you how much you want to make.

ltl

Stay where you are. Will take years to make that.
I appreciate the response. We lost our 401k and there is now a freeze on raises. When I figure in retirement, lost raises and and insurance it sweetens the deal, but it's true those things don't pay the Bill's.

ltl

I’m not sure about other areas but where I work you can max out your hours every day if you wanted to. Or you could get your 10 and hit the door. It’s really up to you how much you want to make.
WOW, they would let you work 70? Or is max considered 60 to keep folks off double time?

35years

Gravy route
Realize that the package car job and feeders are two different animals at UPS.

You see the bait and switch, layoffs harrassment etc. A great deal more in package. Sort out posts on here about package.

Great benifits, healthcare, 401k, $125k likely in feeders in 4 years.

ltl

Thanks for the honest reply.

I have heard that same thing from new hires where I am. Our "event" videos are not write ups, but we have to go to the office for a "coaching session" without pay. Our trucks monitor the speed zones we are in and video us for going over that. If we are in traffic and someone cuts in front of us it is considered "following too close. Our trucks are outfitted with a whole array of sensors that trigger video of the driver, out the front and audio of what's going on in the cab. These are saved in our electronic file and when someone is fired they use them to deny unemployment.

ltl

Realize that the package car job and feeders are two different animals at UPS.

You see the bait and switch, layoffs harrassment etc. A great deal more in package. Sort out posts on here about package.

Great benifits, healthcare, 401k, $125k likely in feeders in 4 years.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
WOW, they would let you work 70? Or is max considered 60 to keep folks off double time?
Yes, you can get 70 here pretty consistently. We are a huge operation though. Top 5 in the US.

ltl

Thanks for the reply. I am harrassed a lot where I am and the compensation continues to decline/stagnate. Good to know.

ltl

I appreciate the measured response.

Obviously I don't know about UPS. I know where I am is better than most trucking jobs, but if I can better myself in some way over the long term I want to make that move.

I don't believe a perfect job exists. If I go to UPS I am sure I will find things to complain about.

One thing I was surprised by in the contract is sleeper teams have to wait for free for 2 hours at their most distant destination. I never get break down, delay, or drop and hook pay unless I am dropping and hooking at an away terminal, but surprised UPS drivers give the 2 hours.

ManInBrown

I appreciate the measured response.

Obviously I don't know about UPS. I know where I am is better than most trucking jobs, but if I can better myself in some way over the long term I want to make that move.

I don't believe a perfect job exists. If I go to UPS I am sure I will find things to complain about.

One thing I was surprised by in the contract is sleeper teams have to wait for free for 2 hours at their most distant destination. I never get break down, delay, or drop and hook pay unless I am dropping and hooking at an away terminal, but surprised UPS drivers give the 2 hours.
We are paid for every minute on the clock.