Staggered warehouse times

AutoZone

BrownPower
I'll never understand why UPS staggers the time in the warehouse thru the week... This passed week Monday start was 5:20.. By Friday it was 6:30. Now I understand the volume aspect.. But why push the start time back so far, and then sups complain all night about not making deadlines and start freaking out.. Why not start early to allow the extra time to hit those deadlines..??? Does that not make sense? We clear up the volume early, we go home early.. But no.. Sups make everyone start later, to miss air deadlines, and pull their hair out.. Kinda funny tho.. Just curious if anyone else has wondered this, or if there's a real answer behind it..

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
I'll never understand why UPS staggers the time in the warehouse thru the week... This passed week Monday stay was 5:20.. By Friday it was 6:30. Now I understand the volume aspect.. But why push the start time back so far, and then sups complain all night about not making deadlines and start freaking out.. Why not start early to allow the extra time to hit those deadlines..??? Does that not make sense? We clear up the volume early, we go home early.. But no.. Sups make everyone start later, to miss air deadlines, and pull their hair out.. Kinda funny tho.. Just curious if anyone else has wondered this, or if there's a real answer behind it..
I give up,why?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
If they can put it in your mind that you are behind, then you will, in theory anyway, work harder and faster to get to where you think you should be. That's why. lol.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It's because as the week goes on volume usually starts to drop. Monday is the heaviest day, requiring an early start time. If you start at 530 everyday and lack the volume to process you're never going to hit your PPH number, staggering start times allows us to hit it.

oldngray

nowhere special
It's because as the week goes on volume usually starts to drop. Monday is the heaviest day, requiring an early start time. If you start at 530 everyday and lack the volume to process you're never going to hit your PPH number, staggering start times allows us to hit it.

If Monday is the heaviest day then why does UPS insist it is lighter and cut routes?

browner89

And because a lot of the work doesn't arrive til XX:XX o'clock anyways.

When volume is light and feeders don't come in til 6:30 why are we gonna start everyone at 3:00? Always thought that was pretty easy to point as a big reason for staggered times.

browner89

If Monday is the heaviest day then why does UPS insist it is lighter and cut routes?

Monday is heaviest on the local sorts, not drivers, that's Tuesday.

Which makes sense because Monday night is so heavy and all of that work is done for Tuesday morning.

browner89

If they can put it in your mind that you are behind, then you will, in theory anyway, work harder and faster to get to where you think you should be. That's why. lol.

I have no trouble believing this, either, but It's definitely more about the logistical reasons over the psychological, but I'd never put anything past upper management.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
And because a lot of the work doesn't arrive til XX:XX o'clock anyways.

When volume is light and feeders don't come in til 6:30 why are we gonna start everyone at 3:00? Always thought that was pretty easy to point as a big reason for staggered times.
The feeder department runs the show for sorts. They're at their mercy

browner89

The feeder department runs the show for sorts. They're at their mercy

For sure, I imagine my buildings numbers take huge hits on some days because of it, our latest start any day of the week has been 4:15-4:30 lately and there are days where we kill the early volume by 6 and spend half an hour sitting around on our phones waiting for the 6:30-7:00 feeder volume and PC's to pull in.

I'm not really sure how they'd fix that problem either due to size of the building and amount of volume we process, but it does allow us to get very nice hours as local sort workers every week, I definitely get in the top 10% of hours of every local/twi sorter i've seen post here this year.

AutoZone

BrownPower
I'm under the assumption OP works twilight. That would be a short preload if they started at 630.
Again, I understand the volume aspect.. But the same feeders are sitting there at 530 on Monday.. As is on Friday.. Just not as much in the trucks or less of them. The feeder drivers are still on there time crunch to have the feeders at the hub ready to be unloaded/picked up.. Their times don't get pushed back as the week goes on.. So if we start at 530 Monday.. Do 3.5 hours and go home... Why can't we start at 530 on Friday and do 3.5 hours and go home?? It's all the same if your guaranteed the 3.5.. Just on Friday, starting early will allow extra time for the deadlines.. And if volume is cleaned up early from light volume send people home early if the want too.. Makes more sense...

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Again, I understand the volume aspect.. But the same feeders are sitting there at 530 on Monday.. As is on Friday.. Just not as much in the trucks or less of them. The feeder drivers are still on there time crunch to have the feeders at the hub ready to be unloaded/picked up.. Their times don't get pushed back as the week goes on.. So if we start at 530 Monday.. Do 3.5 hours and go home... Why can't we start at 530 on Friday and do 3.5 hours and go home?? It's all the same if your guaranteed the 3.5.. Just on Friday, starting early will allow extra time for the deadlines.. And if volume is cleaned up early from light volume send people home early if the want too.. Makes more sense...
You're not understanding it if you think it allows time for deadlines. Look at it this way. Say you have a thousand packages to process and 4 guys. One hour of processing gives you a PPH of 250. So you start at 6 and pull at 7. If you started at 5 your PPH would be 125. You missed your goal by 50%. It's a balance. Yes it would be wonderful to start early and not have to rush. But if the volume isn't there and you're going to waste money by sitting around, it doesn't work.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
For sure, I imagine my buildings numbers take huge hits on some days because of it, our latest start any day of the week has been 4:15-4:30 lately and there are days where we kill the early volume by 6 and spend half an hour sitting around on our phones waiting for the 6:30-7:00 feeder volume and PC's to pull in.

I'm not really sure how they'd fix that problem either due to size of the building and amount of volume we process, but it does allow us to get very nice hours as local sort workers every week, I definitely get in the top 10% of hours of every local/twi sorter i've seen post here this year.
The only way they'd be able to fix it is to put in another feeder run or start the sort later. If we had people sitting around for 30 minutes everyday the sort sup would need to find a new job. No need to start that early if people are sitting

browner89

The only way they'd be able to fix it is to put in another feeder run or start the sort later. If we had people sitting around for 30 minutes everyday the sort sup would need to find a new job. No need to start that early if people are sitting

I am exaggerating when I say that we're all sitting, but there are some of us who do run out of work for periods during the night and the flow for others trickles to the point where it DOES hurt numbers.