Stand up Part-timers

Ron Carey lives on

Article 37 states No employees shall be intimidated, harassed, or coerced. As a driver who worked as a pre-loader for 9 years, you may work part-time, but can be a full-time teamster. You are being put in unsafe situations and talked to like dogs. FILE, FILE, FILE . You know who are, we will back you up

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Part timers punch in, do their jobs, and go home. The vast majority don't know or care about union activities-----most of them can't even be bothered to vote in a process where everything is done for them.

Ron Carey lives on

When they are pushed like in this, its all our responsibilities to educate and help. Upstatenyupser, with all due respect, maybe they don't vote because they don't feel respected or they are not backed up by us.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
With those ear bud things blasting away, how would they even know what any supervisor is saying?

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
The problem with part timers is there is nobody there to teach them. They don't have a clue, about ANYTHING. I blame the Union for this. The Union stewards should be greeting these new guys as they come on in the door and handing out books and explaining things to them. But instead they just say it isn't their responsibility. I've talked to part timers who don't even know how to bid or even that they could.

AndUPSER

Like others have said, education is key. My pt steward is absolutely useless. He mostly talks to management about sports and how hard this job is.

I try to go to the monthly meetings about every other month and they are always glad to see me. I don't know if it's because only about 20-30 people go or if it's because I'm the only part timer from UPS there.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The problem with part timers is there is nobody there to teach them. They don't have a clue, about ANYTHING. I blame the Union for this. The Union stewards should be greeting these new guys as they come on in the door and handing out books and explaining things to them. But instead they just say it isn't their responsibility. I've talked to part timers who don't even know how to bid or even that they could.
I totally agree. The union needs sometime of system to educate set up. No not everyone would be interested but a much larger percentage would be.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I totally agree. The union needs sometime of system to educate set up. No not everyone would be interested but a much larger percentage would be.
It's up to the PTers who know to teach the new hires.and I do whenever possible..but it's also up to them to ask questions when they don't know something.

Summer Peak is over (technically...we're still heavy as hell) soooo....it's time for the September flavor of the month..Misload Mango Madness. :blahblah::blahblah:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Like others have said, education is key. My pt steward is absolutely useless. He mostly talks to management about sports and how hard this job is.

I try to go to the monthly meetings about every other month and they are always glad to see me. I don't know if it's because only about 20-30 people go or if it's because I'm the only part timer from UPS there.
My pt steward is equally useless...and impossible to find at the end of my day because he works in the primary and leaves before me. If I have a problem...I end up talking to the drivers' steward in my center.

AndUPSER

My pt steward is equally useless...and impossible to find at the end of my day because he works in the primary and leaves before me. If I have a problem...I end up talking to the drivers' steward in my center.

Yeah, I end up up talking to the 22.3 steward. Is he higher up in seniority among PTers?

Last edited:

AndUPSER

Fairly high yes...has more seniority than me. 22.3 drivers have their own steward? I didn't know that.

Yeah, we have a 22.3 combo steward for 22.3 employees who work preload/(other job like porter or air driver) and then another 22.3 steward for people who work either day, twilight, or night sort/(other job).

Ron Carey lives on

Afl-cio offers all kinds of classes in all kinds of areas. Organizing, grievance handeling, Weingarten Rights, steward training, but the IBT should do this., or do they want them uninformed?

Last edited by a moderator:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Afl-cio offers all kinds of classes in all kinds of areas. Organizing, grievance handeling, Weingarten Rights, steward training, but the IBT should do this., or do they want them uninformed?

Do you understand the "relationship" between the AFL-CIO and the Teamsters ?

Are you even aware.... of what it is ??

-Bug-