Staples and Office Depot

ScottyG07

Anyone else getting hammered with Staples and Office Depot stuff lately? I wonder if they are not delivering their own pkgs anymore. I've never had this many boxes of paper on my truck before. Stinks getting the hand cart out at every other friggin stop. Those boxes are getting too heavy for this old man...

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Much how UPS doesn't want to order uniforms till after peak, businesses wait till after the new year when they get a fresh refill on expense report allotment.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I received a 30 off 60 coupon in the mail the other day. Bought some tp and pens for half off and we delivered it. Not a bad deal.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
According to the Staples driver on my route, Staples is doing away with their own delivery service (at least in our area). He's already looking for jobs elsewhere.

A Staples store nearby is actually going out of business.

Returntosender

Starboard asks Staples to merge with Office Depot

(Reuters) - Activist investor Starboard Value LP called for office-supply chains Staples Inc and Office Depot Inc to merge, saying a combined company would lead to greater savings.
The hedge fund owned 5.1 percent of Staples last month when it boosted its stake in Office Depot to nearly 10 percent.
A merger will result in synergies of at least $2 billion, more than doubling operating profits, Starboard's founder and Chief Executive Jeffrey Smith wrote in a letter to Staples' Chief Executive Ronald Sargent on Tuesday. http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/01/20/us-staples-starboardvalue-idUSKBN0KT1PD20150120

FYI In the crusade to capture clicks and pull in dollars from online sales, Amazon remains the clear frontrunner. But 2013 e-commerce sales data from trade publication Internet Retailer reveals that the race is heating up One big, gaining rival: Apple AAPL+2.51%, which took the No. 2 spot long held by office supply chain Staples http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-inte...in-rankings-now-second-largest-online-seller/

If they merge? More paper, ink toners, and those stupid chairs will moving through UPS.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Even on my rural gravy run I'm seeing lots of Office Depot. Love that paper. I would hate to be a guy with lots of office buildings.

bham brown

On flat ground my personal rule is no more than 6 cases of paper at a time. Safety first!! Up stairs it would be at the most 2 at a time and that's if it's early in the day when I still have some energy.

Upstate, I sure wish you worked next to me because if I had a stop with 20 or more paper boxes going upstairs it would get moved to you every day. Gotta show some love to you runners.

km3

In my first two months, I don't think I got more than two or three boxes of paper down the belt. Now I'm getting 30 to 50 at a time. It's great for building (new) walls, but when 50 boxes of paper come down at once, it's a nightmare to rip off the rollers. I've actually had to ask for help a couple times. Hopefully this is just a seasonal thing (...but school started a month ago, what else is there?).

And it's not just Office Depot or Staples stuff, either. A lot of it is CostCo, and there's plenty from a handful of brands I don't recognize.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
45-60 minute to bring 20 cases of paper up 3 flights? Are you bringing them up one case at a time? This stop should take 15 minutes at the most.

Two at a time on a dolly.

From where I had to park, almost 5 minutes to load 2 on the cart, get them into the building, up 3 flights and then down the hall to the office.

20 boxes ÷ 2 per trip = 10 trips.

5 min per trip × 10 trips = 50 min.

Add a water break after 5 trips and it takes about 55 min.

Stop count was not adjusted accordingly.