Start Date

"Phil"

If you've been trucking since '97 then you got more miles backing up than your instructor has going forward.

Just bear with it. He's probably more intimidated by you than you could possibly be of him.

Be nice, smile a lot, don't be a hero.

You're just going through the moves now.
Never said I've been driving truck since '97. Said I've had my CDL since '97. Thanks for the comment.

PT Car Washer

I'd be interested in knowing if Phil will train in a manual trans truck or an automatic.

If manual, be sure to double clutch until/unless you're told not to. Management knows we "slipshift" (no clutch) when they aren't around. If you're instructed to park with the trans in neutral then do it (be sure to set the park valve).

There's an outdated reason we are instructed to park in "neutral". Anyone know why?

I can wait.
Tractors used to have pneumatic clutches. That is they operated under air pressure just like the brakes. If you left them in gear and bled the air pressure you could not shift into neutral and start the engine.

Over 70

Tractors used to have pneumatic clutches. That is they operated under air pressure just like the brakes. If you left them in gear and bled the air pressure you could not shift into neutral and start the engine.

I drove a truck that was air start before. It sounded cool when you fired it up but sucked when there was an air problem and you're nowhere near home