Start-ups are the next threat

It will be fine

They are interesting ideas. I don't see them gaining much market share though. Too many issues with unregulated drivers and vehicles performing commercial work. Who gets sued when Uber package driver runs over a pedestrian while making a delivery?
I can't see the profit outweighing the risk, but if the demand for same day delivery is there someone will capture it.

STFXG

They are interesting ideas. I don't see them gaining much market share though. Too many issues with unregulated drivers and vehicles performing commercial work. Who gets sued when Uber package driver runs over a pedestrian while making a delivery?
I can't see the profit outweighing the risk, but if the demand for same day delivery is there someone will capture it.
Uber is currently valued at 40 billion. They have shown the model works with ride sharing. The market is there for the taking.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I think the reality that your neighbor bought cupcakes from a place you work next to and would like them delivered is a wet dream. That's not gonna happen very often. Then, what if you are bombarded with requests all day?

I also don't think anyone is gonna trust just anyone to carry valuable stuff. I typically pup and del $20K medical equipment that is only the size of a microwave.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
yeah, sounds so simple (and quaint even) but the concept is chockfull of holes.

The cupcakes to the neighbor a few houses down scenario - gosh what a compelling example. Hang it up, folks - we're as good as done.

It will be fine

How many customers are out there willing to pay the extra $9 to have their cupcakes delivered? If the driver gets $7.50 the uber package company needs its share too. The cost would be too high just to save people the trip to the store.
The difference between this service and uber is this service needs to create its demand. Uber just tapped into an existing market.

Purplepackage

Uber is currently valued at 40 billion. They have shown the model works with ride sharing. The market is there for the taking.

Just because something is valued at 40k doesn't mean laws won't shut it down.

But I'll play along, according to the extremely arrogant writer of this article, uber will put UPS,Fed ex and the usps out of buisness.

So my question is who is going to deliver the hundreds of thousands of packages during Christmas? Is my neighbor going to answer requests all day long for 12 hours a day? Flawed

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Who's gonna want to do this when the weather sucks? What if someone clicks the "accept" button then doesn't follow through? And what about Christmas? What about people that try to deliver but get lost in their own backyard?

This whole idea has more holes than a warehouse full of Swiss cheese.

overflowed

Sounds a little like ground at first no?

vantexan

Isn't there already messenger services in large cities doing this? And in the remote area I'm in everything comes from out of the area. Only a FedEx or UPS can make that happen.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikemaddock/2015/03/11/could-uber-put-fedex-out-of-business/

It may be a ways down the road. But ride-sharing type businesses will put a dent in volume for all the delivery companies. The possibilities are interesting.

There is opportunity, but the author doesn't have a good grasp of e-commerce companies or shipping companies.

His examples revolve around people picking up things for other people while they are out conducting their own affairs. Picking up fresh-baked cupcakes at the neighborhood bakery for immediate delivery, for example. That's not something we do, nor is it something we would do. Further, that's something that's a product that e-commerce companies aren't going to try very hard to tackle. Fresh-baked goods, overnight?

The biggest problem that they guy is missing is that e-commerce is alive because of price. People aren't going to pay full retail AND a delivery fee when they could either go pick it up themselves or get it via Amazon for a much better price.

There is a niche to be filled with this if you need something the same day, it's nearby, and you can't or don't want to go get it yourself and are wiling to pay extra.

MassWineGuy

Except when Uber drivers rape or rob their customers. Some people may choose to give their freight to dedicated, professional freight companies.

dezguy

This may work in large city centres but it is sure as hell not going to put us or any other large delivery company out of business. I don't know about the rest of you but less than one percent of the dels I have daily are from in town. Hell, I don't even get that much stuff that comes from within my region.