Started Full-Time Driving during contract limbo

UPS WORKHORSE

Hi all,

I started full-time driving after while our contract was in limbo (after August 1, 2013 and before the IBT voted to actually implement it on April 25, 2014). According to the Teamster website, UPS and the IBT agreed to extend the previous contract until everything got settled. I was under the impression that since I went full-time driving during this contract extension period, I should have a 3 year progression since the contract was extended. Today however I talked to my BA and he said he thought the same thing, but I'll actually have a 4 year progression because the contract began August 1, 2013.

My question is: Has anyone else heard anything on whether somebody would have a 3 year or 4 year progression if they started their progression during the contract "extension" period?

Below is the letter hall sent to the local unions about the contract extension:

To: UPS Local Unions
Re: Contract Extension
Date: June 28, 2013
UPS and the Union have agreed to an extension of the current UPS National Master Agreement and all Supplements, Riders and Addenda. The extension does not have a specific end date, but can be terminated by either side with a 30 day notice.
This means that all of the current Agreements will remain in place until the Supplements that did not receive a majority of votes have been re-voted and agreed to. Any increases in wages, pensions and health and welfare contributions that were agreed to in the new National Master Agreement will be made retroactively toAugust 1, 2013but will not take effect until the Supplements have been re-voted and agreed to.
In addition, UPS has agreed not to implement the increase in retiree contributions to retiree health insurance onAugust 1, 2013as set forth in letters that were sent out to Retirees in December of 2012.
KH:lfr

Hawfuh Sux

Old Guard Assassin!
Unfortunately your BA is correct. Since you started driving after August 1, 2013, you fall under the new contract and at the 4 year progression rate.

UPSjedi41

To the original poster, I am in the same boat but in Local 705. I am an off the street hire and I don't have my seniority yet but will have my seniority in before our contract is in place. I have no idea if it will be 3 years vs 4. Will I be at $18.75 plus raises or just the progression pays or the old pay scale with or without the annual raises? Am I entitled to the retro check for all my seasonal driving since August 1? If so that could be $3 to 4 thousand dollars. Rumor has it one of our stewards has already started a grievance sheet for several drivers over the 3 vs 4 year plan. If you are hired after August 1 but before the actual contract passes he is adding your name to it. You might want to look into it. I am hoping for the best of both contracts but you never know.

Big Bad Wolf

Start at $18.75
1 year $19.50
2 years $21.00
3 years $25.00
4 years top rate ($36ish)

Or you can try going to another place for a lot less.

Did I blow your house down?

Quigley

Everything is retroactive back to Aug 1. Thats why the retro checks. If you started after Aug 1 you are on a 4 year progression. You get the above yearly raises.

sportsjock

We have a few drivers that are still in progression from the old contract with one year to go before they reach top rate. It seems to be a lot of confusion if they would get a raise to the new progression rate of $21.00 or would they remain at the $20.75 rate? The shop steward is saying they would get the raise but they didn't get it on their last check. Just curious!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Socrates

We have a few drivers that are still in progression from the old contract with one year to go before they reach top rate. It seems to be a lot of confusion if they would get a raise to the new progression rate of $21.00 or would they remain at the $20.75 rate? The shop steward is saying they would get the raise but they didn't get it on their last check. Just curious!
Thats me...damn it. And I want my MF'ing money!!

I'm actually making less than a new driver off the street right now, 18.45 vs the 18.75 they're making. WTF?

sportsjock

Yeah that's the confusing part for these guys. Especially since they can't a straight answer. How can a new hire be making more then you?

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
4 years almost isn't even worth it. I thought 3 was too much for the amount of BS we put up with.
Thank everybody that voted yes on this BS contract. All those people if the shoe was on the other foot and they were getting ready to go full time, they would never vote for a bs 4 year progression. Just saying most people unfortunately only care about themselves, which is sad.

Quigley

Yeah that's the confusing part for these guys. Especially since they can't a straight answer. How can a new hire be making more then you?

Sent using BrownCafe App
A new hire cant make more then you. If you read contract you cant make any less then what the new rate is.

Quigley

Thats me...damn it. And I want my MF'ing money!!

I'm actually making less than a new driver off the street right now, 18.45 vs the 18.75 they're making. WTF?
If you were making $18.45 prior to Aug 1, and the new contract went into effect Aug 1st, you would have gotten the .70. $18.45 + .70=$19.15 But since you cant make any less then the new rate you should go to $19.50. Therefore your retro check should be for $1.05 for all hours woked since Aug 1, providing you havent received a raise after Aug 1.

UPSER110

I am in the same situation as you. We will be under the 4 year progression. Luckily I was a reg-temp driver and got a $3.09 raise since the contract went in effect. So I will sit at $24.22 for a while. Come on retro check....

MethodsMan

Start at $18.75
1 year $19.50
2 years $21.00
3 years $25.00
4 years top rate ($36ish)

Or you can try going to another place for a lot less.

Did I blow your house down?

So say someone is in progression in their 2nd year on the old contract. Do they get bumped up to 1st year rate of the new progression. Getting a retro check for the difference of the bump in pay for the last 6 months?

Quigley

So say someone is in progression in their 2nd year on the old contract. Do they get bumped up to 1st year rate of the new progression. Getting a retro check for the difference of the bump in pay for the last 6 months?
Seniority plus 1 year under old contract is $18.45 + .70= $19.15 New rate is $19.50 So you should be making $19.50 Retro check of $1.05 for every paid hour back to Aug 1

UPS WORKHORSE

I'm confused as to why somebody who went full-time, whether it's driving or combo, prior to the contract taking effect on April 25th would have a 4 year progression when the letter from hall said,
"UPS and the Union have agreed to an extension of the current UPS National Master Agreement and all Supplements, Riders and Addenda. The extension does not have a specific end date, but can be terminated by either side with a 30 day notice.
This means that all of the current Agreements will remain in place until the Supplements that did not receive a majority of votes have been re-voted and agreed to. Any increases in wages, pensions and health and welfare contributions that were agreed to in the new National Master Agreement will be made retroactively toAugust 1, 2013but will not take effect until the Supplements have been re-voted and agreed to."
He said in the letter that the current agreements will remain in place, so why wouldn't a 3 year progression remain in place? The letter only says "Any increases in wages, pensions and health and welfare contributions" will be made retroactive, not progression.

Quigley

I'm confused as to why somebody who went full-time, whether it's driving or combo, prior to the contract taking effect on April 25th would have a 4 year progression when the letter from hall said,
"UPS and the Union have agreed to an extension of the current UPS National Master Agreement and all Supplements, Riders and Addenda. The extension does not have a specific end date, but can be terminated by either side with a 30 day notice.
This means that all of the current Agreements will remain in place until the Supplements that did not receive a majority of votes have been re-voted and agreed to. Any increases in wages, pensions and health and welfare contributions that were agreed to in the new National Master Agreement will be made retroactively toAugust 1, 2013but will not take effect until the Supplements have been re-voted and agreed to."
He said in the letter that the current agreements will remain in place, so why wouldn't a 3 year progression remain in place? The letter only says "Any increases in wages, pensions and health and welfare contributions" will be made retroactive, not progression.
You can argue you were hired under the old contract. But I think you will have to file a grievance in order to argue that point.