Starting my training route next tuesday, any suggestions?

platinum9898

Go all in %100 and have faith. Your body might go into shock the first week but that feeling will subside. Use all the methods, 3 points of contact in/out, 5 seeing habits, 10 points, just drive safe and take it day by day, stop by stop and absorb all you can. They will ride you hard. Believe in your self and you got this!

Sent using BrownCafe App

novadriver

Go all in %100 and have faith. Your body might go into shock the first week but that feeling will subside. Use all the methods, 3 points of contact in/out, 5 seeing habits, 10 points, just drive safe and take it day by day, stop by stop and absorb all you can. They will ride you hard. Believe in your self and you got this!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ive got re study the 5 an 10 since its been 2 weeks since class, i heard they may assk me to say them while driving or recite them

Brownsfan

Always keep moving and don't spend to much time in the back of the truck. Also when your overwhelmed and feel paralyses from both adrenaline and frustration, just remember "one stop at a time, move move move. 2 more things. 1 don't look at your stops you have completed, and 2 don't look at all the work you will still have left on your shelf. I promise you those pkgs will deliver themselves. Good luck

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
First day: expect the on-car supe to drive/work the DIAD until 10:30am (Next Day Airs should all be delivered); you ride the jump seat and carry the packages, I recommend you practice 'reading' the DIAD (next stops, # of pkgs, HIN # (shelf location))-as the supe is parking/opening bulkhead door you should be able to tell him/her the address you're at, # & location of pkgs/letters; while paying attention to the route travelled, delivery points. Hopefully after 10:30 you start sheeting up the packages and completing the stops (all the DIAD work). At some point you should start pulling the pkgs form the shelves and/or moving/sorting pkgs to selection area.
When you start sheeting pkgs, if when you hit a wrong button or otherwise freeze up the DIAD, make sure you learn how to back out of it. It's very tempting for the supe to grab it & back out of it for you, hold onto the DIAD & make sure you know which buttons to hit to do it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Two weeks ago I passed the driver training school (4 days because of memorial day) and next week I'll be starting my training route. Anyone have any suggestions for what I should expect, and what will be expected of me during my probationary period. I really don't want to lose this job.

Just remember the 5 D's, Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First day: expect the on-car supe to drive/work the DIAD until 10:30am (Next Day Airs should all be delivered); you ride the jump seat and carry the packages, I recommend you practice 'reading' the DIAD (next stops, # of pkgs, HIN # (shelf location))-as the supe is parking/opening bulkhead door you should be able to tell him/her the address you're at, # & location of pkgs/letters; while paying attention to the route travelled, delivery points. Hopefully after 10:30 you start sheeting up the packages and completing the stops (all the DIAD work). At some point you should start pulling the pkgs form the shelves and/or moving/sorting pkgs to selection area.
When you start sheeting pkgs, if when you hit a wrong button or otherwise freeze up the DIAD, make sure you learn how to back out of it. It's very tempting for the supe to grab it & back out of it for you, hold onto the DIAD & make sure you know which buttons to hit to do it.

I would think that when they are training a new driver, especially for the first few days, that they would throw Telematics out the window and let the trainee go through the DIAD while the on-car is driving.