Starting Preload!!

nmang2412

So monday im taking the tour and tuesday is my first day of preload. I just have some questions to ask.

What should i expect for the tour/how long is it usually?
What should i expect for my first day, what will they have me doing?
Im assuming there is no break?
What should i wear, When should i get there, where should i go?

I know ill do fine i just hate being new and not knowing what to do or where to go, stuff like that. Ive been a helper for 2 seasons, so i know im just a pee-on and they are going to work my ass off!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Since you've been a helper you should have some idea as you stated the work pace. Just be safe and do your job how you are trained. Ask questions from other loaders as each hub is ran slightly different and answers on here can vary from person to person. Above all else be safe in everything you do and the other things will call into place if you have a decent work ethic. One last thing, find out who your steward is for your shift and introduce yourself.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you have been here since November, why are you asking????

Why not read one of the threads that have been started since you joined??

or go to the UPS facebook page and ask.

barnyard

KTM rider
UPS has a facebook?

They do.

and they answer all the questions that are posted. And there are a lot of them.

Could not pay me enough to do that.

Maybe if enough noobs asked the same question on the FB page, UPS would answer their questions a little better.

Actually, it is kind of a good reminder to go there and read some of the stuff there. Some of it is absolutely moronic. Some of it is honest people wanting good service and wondering why it is so hard to get it.

nmang2412

If you have been here since November, why are you asking????

Why not read one of the threads that have been started since you joined??

or go to the UPS facebook page and ask.
I was a driver helper. I wasnt in the building, I have read many other threads but not about this topic.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Lol, I guess it was egress review day yesterday for everybody!
orientation is probably half hour long
first 4 days are training class, where you sit in a room for half a shift watching videos then onto the floor for the second half to work.
yes a ten minute break usually 1 1/2 hours into your shift.
wear clothes that you do not care about, expect to get crap on your clothes that does not seem to come off.
I show up ten minutes early to get ready to work and they should tell you where you need to go
and yes you get inundated with packages, so you will work your ***** off

J

jibbs

first 4 days are training class, where you sit in a room for half a shift watching videos then onto the floor for the second half to work.
yes a ten minute break usually 1 1/2 hours into your shift.

Really? I watched maybe 3 videos and then watched a supervisor load a truck. Next day we went over how trucks were supposed to be loaded, I watched for maybe 5-10min then switched roles with the supervisor. He watched me for a little bit, said he'd be back in a few minutes to check on me and that was the last I saw of him until I was clocking out that day. My supervisors are actually pretty decent people, but the training at my center was a joke. After a couple months of lurking around here I've come to think that most supe's just don't feel like it's worth the effort spending time properly training a new preloader that probability tells them will quit within a month (and some much, much sooner than that).

Also, the only breaks I've ever gotten were towards the end of December... haven't had one since 2013 started.

My general impression of the tour was that it was used as a tool to weed out undesirable employees. All I kept hearing was that this is a fast-paced, physical job that many people simply are not cut out for. We were repeatedly advised that if we thought ourselves to be one of those people, no offense would be taken if we removed ourselves from the hiring process at that time. While the HR guy doing the tour was being completely honest, the way he presented the facts made it sound like he was doing his damndest to thin out that particular hiring pool.

nmang2412

Yeah, I figured at one point they would try and scare us to quit. I know it will suck but I can handle the work. For some reason I'm just really good a ****ty jobs! lol My other question was if you eventually can get a pay raise and can a preloader get the verizon discount? My buddy said if I go to any verizon store and show them my id I can get a 21% discount?

J

jibbs

I work at a small center (compared to a hub, at least) and we don't have IDs or badges or anything, so I don't think I'm suited at all to answer that question. It's really not a ****ty job, in my opinion... it's got pros and cons like everything else, and for some peoples situations the pros can easily outweigh the cons. If you're good with repetitive manual labor then you'll do fine... just remember when the belt's got boxes flying off of it left and right that it's just a part-time job. There's a light at the end of the tunnel every day you go in... it gets stressful, but I just look at it like I'm paid to be overwhelmed and to work out with boxes.

laffter

If you need to relieve stress on the job, keep in mind that you can throw, punch, and kick boxes. The ones labelled Fragile or Glass will give you the most satisfaction.

J

jibbs

If you need to relieve stress on the job, keep in mind that you can throw, punch, and kick boxes. The ones labelled Fragile or Glass will give you the most satisfaction.

If it's less than 10lbs and no one's in my way that mother friend*er will get thrown into one of my trucks. I used to be a bit more liberal with the heavier ones until I stumbled onto the fact that a heavier package is more likely to get damaged when it goes for a 10-15ft trip. I've got a set of 3 metal steps in the middle of my trucks that I've got to climb every 20 seconds... doesn't sound that bad, but repeat 900-1500 times with packages of varying size and weight and, yeah, smile* gets real serious about halfway through the shift when my knees start to feel a li'l wobbly.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The job is as difficult as you make it for yourself. Those that say "expect to run your :censored2: off" and "throw packages to save your body" are simply taking shortcuts that actually make it harder for themselves.