Starting wage for seasonal drivers $16.12 an hour.

browned out

I know the economy is bad; but this wage is only going to appeal to drivers who do not have the expertise to operate our vehicles safely and efficiently this peak. I think the wage gap will make UPS use more seasonal drivers than at anytime in the history of the company. Hopefully jumpers will not be used with these inexperienced drivers as they will have their plates full without the extra distractions of driver helpers.

My prediction is more accidents and injuries this peak than ever before. I hope that I am proven wrong.

John19841

Before the new contract took effect, the rate for a casual was $14.60, so I don't see what the big deal is?

I know the economy is bad; but this wage is only going to appeal to drivers who do not have the expertise to operate our vehicles safely and efficiently this peak. I think the wage gap will make UPS use more seasonal drivers than at anytime in the history of the company. Hopefully jumpers will not be used with these inexperienced drivers as they will have their plates full without the extra distractions of driver helpers.

My prediction is more accidents and injuries this peak than ever before. I hope that I am proven wrong.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Your wage for seasonal drivers is higher than for most FedEx Ground drivers and right around the 2-3 year wage level for a FedEx courier. I find it interesting that you think such a low wage will bring out sub-par workers, a sad commentary on the state of the FedEx pay structure. By the way, I think you're right that UPS will only get marginally qualified people for that kind of money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your wage for seasonal drivers is higher than for most FedEx Ground drivers and right around the 2-3 year wage level for a FedEx courier. I find it interesting that you think such a low wage will bring out sub-par workers, a sad commentary on the state of the FedEx pay structure. By the way, I think you're right that UPS will only get marginally qualified people for that kind of money.

This may be true when the economy is good but in a bad economy where there are fewer options the applicant pool would have more people who would be over qualifed for the job. We had a meter reader position with our local power company advertised at $19+/hr and they had over 200 applicants, many with college degrees.

UPSGUY72

Are you saying that all of US drivers are marginally qualified. Becasue last time checked we all started out making alot less than $16.12 an hr? Also are you saying that UPS lowers it standards for hiring seasonal help.

Anyways $16.12 hr is pretty good money if you don't have a job.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Are you saying that all of US drivers are marginally qualified. Becasue last time checked we all started out making alot less than $16.12 an hr? Also are you saying that UPS lowers it standards for hiring seasonal help.

Anyways $16.12 hr is pretty good money if you don't have a job.

I've worked for UPS before as a seasonal worker, and it's pretty apparent that the standards are lower. The $16.12 figure is just about what I was getting as a seasonal Feeder Driver more than a few years ago, so UPS knows that they don't have to pay as much in a slow economy. My real point is that UPS pays temporary workers (who aren't as qualified as permanent employees), 2 to 3 dollars more than experienced FedEx people, at both Ground and Express. I find that both ironic and unsettling. And yes, I'd say most of the seasonal drivers I see fumbling around out there in rentals during peak are marginally qualified. You might get some unlikely workers, as Upstate pointed-out, but even if they're a genius at whatever their regular gig is, it doesn't mean they'll be an effective delivery driver.

UPSGUY72

I've worked for UPS before as a seasonal worker, and it's pretty apparent that the standards are lower. The $16.12 figure is just about what I was getting as a seasonal Feeder Driver more than a few years ago, so UPS knows that they don't have to pay as much in a slow economy. My real point is that UPS pays temporary workers who aren't as qualified as permanent employees, 2 to 3 dollars more than experienced FedEx people, at both Ground and Express. I find that both ironic and unsettling.

What do you mean by not qualified. All driver are sent to school seansonal or not.

It sound like your problem is with the FED EX pay scale. FED EX drivers could solve that problem If they Unionized. But who I'm I to say I'm in the UNION get paid very well, have some of the best benifits anyone can get.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What do you mean by not qualified. All driver are sent to school seansonal or not.

It sound like your problem is with the FED EX pay scale. FED EX drivers could solve that problem If they Unionized. But who I'm I to say I'm in the UNION get paid very well, have some of the best benifits anyone can get.

I only had training the first year. Every year after that, I'd get a call before peak, go-in for a 15 minute checkride, and then wait for the phone to ring around Thanksgiving. The Feeder temps all seemed pretty professional. I was referring to the package car drivers in the rentals as seeming marginal.

Mr Fedex

Banned
I only had training the first year. Every year after that, I'd get a call before peak, go-in for a 15 minute checkride, and then wait for the phone to ring around Thanksgiving. The Feeder temps all seemed pretty professional. I was referring to the package car drivers in the rentals as seeming marginal.
Sounds to me like you couldn't hack it at UPS and left for Fedex.I bet you regret that decision today.
:)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We had a seasonal run one of our training routes this summer. It's a bid route most of the year but the bid driver has to come off the route for a trainee to run it. The seasonal marginal employee made the bid driver look like a fool. Sure he made a few rookie mistakes but there are people out there that are willing to work harder and better than some of the entrentched long term drivers we have now.

unionslug

We had a seasonal run one of our training routes this summer. It's a bid route most of the year but the bid driver has to come off the route for a trainee to run it. The seasonal marginal employee made the bid driver look like a fool. Sure he made a few rookie mistakes but there are people out there that are willing to work harder and better than some of the entrentched long term drivers we have now.
And most of those drivers are taking shortcuts that the bid driver doesnt take. Do the job right, by the methods, and take care of the customers on your route. The ones that take the shortcuts are the ones that eventually get in trouble for accidents or not following the methods

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
And most of those drivers are taking shortcuts that the bid driver doesnt take. Do the job right, by the methods, and take care of the customers on your route. The ones that take the shortcuts are the ones that eventually get in trouble for accidents or not following the methods[/QUOTE

You forgot to say they skip their lunch and break. You are not living up to the name Unionslug.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sounds to me like you couldn't hack it at UPS and left for Fedex.I bet you regret that decision today.
:)

They liked me..a lot, but I couldn't wait 20 years for a Feeder spot. I got full-time off the street as a FedEx tractor-trailer driver. And you're right, I do regret it today.

unionslug

And most of those drivers are taking shortcuts that the bid driver doesnt take. Do the job right, by the methods, and take care of the customers on your route. The ones that take the shortcuts are the ones that eventually get in trouble for accidents or not following the methods[/QUOTE

You forgot to say they skip their lunch and break. You are not living up to the name Unionslug.
omg, how correct you are thread. For shame. I never miss a lunch or break. Thanks for the add on. Take every break you are guaranteed

brownrod

This may be true when the economy is good but in a bad economy where there are fewer options the applicant pool would have more people who would be over qualifed for the job. We had a meter reader position with our local power company advertised at $19+/hr and they had over 200 applicants, many with college degrees.

One of those meter reader jobs was advertised in a city south of me. They used a sports stadium to handle the thousands of applicants and interviews.

browned out

One of those meter reader jobs was advertised in a city south of me. They used a sports stadium to handle the thousands of applicants and interviews.

Thats $19 an hour to read meters not $16 to bust your ass in a high pressure, high stress, fast paced, labor intense package car position.

blue efficacy

And most of those drivers are taking shortcuts that the bid driver doesnt take. Do the job right, by the methods, and take care of the customers on your route. The ones that take the shortcuts are the ones that eventually get in trouble for accidents or not following the methods
Yep, anyone who is slow is just slow because they are using the methods. Anyone who works quicky or efficiently has to be cutting corners.

Sarcasm aside, I have helped a few different drivers during my time at UPS, and they all used the methods for the most part. Yet some were still way better than others. Of course, I preferred the less efficient drivers, more time for me to rest, LOL.