Staying cool

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
With the temps in the 70s on some days lately in new england and as the warm weather and my first summer driving approaches I'm expecting to be dying in the heat outside and roasting alive in the cargo area this summer so I'm wondering what tips the veteran drivers of the forum have for newer drivers to make the summer heat bearable.

Also do you wear a t-shirt? I run hot and I'm thinking I won't be able to do the 2 layers.

Do you use a rag or towel or something to dry up at all?

Do coolers keep your lunch ok if back in the roasting cargo area?

What do you do for hydration? A big thermos of water? Gatorade? Do you keep it in the cab or does it stay cool in the back?

Thanks

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Don't over think it.

Dress comfortably and put 2 or 3 frozen water bottles in your cooler, and you'll survive.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Georgia says hi with summer temps in triple digits, but the real killer is the 80-95% humidity that gets ya. I've taken to using option 3 days on triple digit days and a frog togg with ice wrapped inside, place around my neck.

stink219

I'm in NE 70 is cake. It will be in the humid 90's in the summer. My advice, take your breaks when your supposed to!! It's hottest about 1:30 so that's when I hit lunch. Water!! Water!! Water!! Gatorade will still dehydrate. We had to guys go down from only drinking Gatorade. A little powder on the stones and the ballon knot. Bring deodorant with you. There is a product called a cool towel that I like. It's microfiber, you just wet it with water (cold or warm, yes warm), shake it to get the air at it and it gets cold. Wipe your neck, inside your arms and behind knees and your body temp will come down.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
After it hits 90 I don't bother bringing my lunch. It won't stay cold. Also I use that time to get in the A/C and cool off.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm in NE 70 is cake. It will be in the humid 90's in the summer. My advice, take your breaks when your supposed to!! It's hottest about 1:30 so that's when I hit lunch. Water!! Water!! Water!! Gatorade will still dehydrate. We had to guys go down from only drinking Gatorade. A little powder on the stones and the ballon knot. Bring deodorant with you. There is a product called a cool towel that I like. It's microfiber, you just wet it with water (cold or warm, yes warm), shake it to get the air at it and it gets cold. Wipe your neck, inside your arms and behind knees and your body temp will come down.

Went down from drinking Gatorade? The bigger problem in the heat can be over hydrating and getting water logged. MOST of us are good drinking anything. Water coke tea doesn't matter. Your body isn't picky it just wants hydration. The amount of dehydration caffeine can cause is minimal compared the amount of hydration u get from the drink.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Btw we clocked 120 in the cargo area last year.

122 where I am. Heat index just as high thanks to the 90% humidity. For me, stopping and opening the back door and sorting as much as I have room to sort is key during the heat. Keeps me from spending too much time in the back looking for stops when the door is closed and its 120 degrees in there. Bring a second under shirt if you wear one. Under armor is good but unnecessary. If you haven't already made friends with the people at your business stops do it now. Their break/back room is a great place to catch some A/C on your lunch if you're not a McD's or fast food kind of guy. Also, don't forget to powder your . . .uh hem . . . nose.

S

serenity now

i have been known to stand in the beer cave at the truck stop; i tell the startled shoppers what the current specials are

ibleedbrown

There is a product called a cool towel that I like. It's microfiber, you just wet it with water (cold or warm, yes warm), shake it to get the air at it and it gets cold. Wipe your neck, inside your arms and behind knees and your body temp will come down.

i'm gonna look this up, thanks for the tip!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I get a cheap spray bottle (quart size) and keep it full. I spray my head, neck, face, arms and legs. It acts like a swamp cooler but it works best when the humidity isn't real high. I soak my head in water. Customers hoses, bathroom sinks, whatever is available. I have also stood in the beer cooler to cool off. I do wear a undershirt. I started doing this because I ripped my shirt one day. I got caught on the door latch stepping out of the truck. Hung there for a second before the shirt gave in. Ripped the whole seam from arm pit halfway down my side. I decided at that point I needed to wear an undershirt. I was actually surprised that I wasn't miserable during the summer with them. They seem to help keep me even a little cooler.

S

serenity now

I get a cheap spray bottle (quart size) and keep it full. I spray my head, neck, face, arms and legs. It acts like a swamp cooler but it works best when the humidity isn't real high. I soak my head in water. Customers hoses, bathroom sinks, whatever is available. I have also stood in the beer cooler to cool off. I do wear a undershirt. I started doing this because I ripped my shirt one day. I got caught on the door latch stepping out of the truck. Hung there for a second before the shirt gave in. Ripped the whole seam from arm pit halfway down my side. I decided at that point I needed to wear an undershirt. I was actually surprised that I wasn't miserable during the summer with them. They seem to help keep me even a little cooler.

they will keep you cooler

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Full disclosure:

From now on (well, in two weeks), if it gets too hot while I'm working, I'll just knock off and open a cold one and hop in the pool.:happy-very:

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I bring a gallon of Ice water, a cooler with 6-32 ounce bottles of gatorade (3 frozen, 3 refrigerated) and I also bring usually a salad, and some fruit for lunch.

I usually don't need ALL the drinks, but better to have and not need than need and not have.

One route I cover has a beer and wine shop, and I'll go hang in their beer cooler for a minute or two......which just makes it THAT much harder to leave the store