Nazir

So, i got hired in August for a part time package handler position and i have been working here and plan to work here for another year at least. My only concern is do they lay off like union employees too with the seasonal hires after peak. Until now, i had to call out 3 times for legitimate reasons and i followed all the procedures every time. I am loader and i would say i load around the 350-370 mark. So, do i have a lot of chances of being laid off? and i am still paying the $300 initiation fee so does that mean that i am still not in the union yet?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
$300 in initiation fees for a new hire PTer at UPS is highway robbery.

Layoffs after peak happen according to seniority. Its not based on production or attendance. If you're in a larger hub, it's pretty unlikely you'll be laid off as there's always senior PTers that want to go home.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I like how these guys have to mention how much they load per hour .....like ups really cares... Senority is the key... Oh to be young again...

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The retention percentage is really bad. If you are breathing and walk upright my guess is that you will stay on. Just keep a low profile and work as directed. I was hired as a seasonal 19 years ago.
I am a union guy but agree with Piedmont the $300 sucks especially when you are making $10 per hr. with monthly union dues. Just think how much goes into the IBT coffers @ $300 a pop with new hires coming an going. No wonder that women was ubering around the beltway on the teamster tab.