Stealing time

uncfanbot

Hey all, this morning I was written up and after the meeting the steward told me to come see him later to get the grievance forms. On the way out I went to see him and the ft sup who wrote me up followed me down the belt and accused me of stealing time. He threatened to fire me and told me to go clock out. I've never had this happen before and was wondering if what the sup said was true. Thanks.
Btw I'm a part-time unloader with a little over three years of time at UPS.

km3

Yes. Unless you're a steward, there's no union activity on the clock except during break.

"Stealing time" is a legitimate concern for the company when some people decide to spend 10+ minutes in the bathroom when they really didn't have to. But other than that, it's the most gutless thing they can accuse you of when they're angry with you. It gets so ridiculous sometimes, that they threaten to fire people who go 30 seconds over on their break or don't walk fast enough towards the time clock.

km3

Sometimes I have to :censored2: more than ten minutes...they can film me squeeze out every last ounce of it makes them not accuse me of stealing time

Fair enough. You get the idea though; some people DO steal time and that's just one of the ways they do it. When it clearly wasn't a person's intent to do so, such as the OP, it's a gutless move to threaten termination. A simple "next time, clock out before you grab those grievance forms" would have more than sufficed.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hey all, this morning I was written up and after the meeting the steward told me to come see him later to get the grievance forms. On the way out I went to see him and the ft sup who wrote me up followed me down the belt and accused me of stealing time. He threatened to fire me and told me to go clock out. I've never had this happen before and was wondering if what the sup said was true. Thanks.
Btw I'm a part-time unloader with a little over three years of time at UPS.

Yes. They frown on paying you to file a grievance on them. They are silly like that

El Correcto

god is dead
Thanks for all the replies. I talked to the steward again today and he told me not to worry about it.
Don't worry about it but don't do union activity on company time unless it's an immediate safety concern or they want to speak to you about something. Request a steward present.

BigBrownTown

Had this problem before. Figured out a quick fix. If they give you reason to file just keep saying you want your steward every time they approach you. About a month after they gave me that poo I had a problem with a sup and the whole shift every time he said anything to me I said "I want my steward." Either they get annoyed or they get the steward.