Stephen Harper, prime minister of Canada

OK, I had to change my mind on revisiting this thread. Where's Klein? No defense of his PM? I thought everything in Canada was perfect?

klein

Für Meno :)
Harper just has been elected for the 3rd time in a row ! His majority Government will now stand stable for over 4 years. No midterm elections, nothing.
It brings stability to this country, and keeps the uncertainty out.
He can now focus on his goal to bring us back into a budget surplus within this new term of his.

As for pickup's youtube clips, I just watched the very first one for a few seconds.
He has more women in his newly formed caucus then ever before, and there are more women sitting in Parlament then ever before in history.

Anyways, in short, for the next 4 years we won't be experiencing any political changes up north.
And nope, we aren't bracing ourselves for impact ! I did vote for him, and so did many others to give him this majority government. He's been around for 7 years as our Prime Minister, he's not a new commer !

His major 3 contradary decisions he'll enforce are :
1) Get rid of the costly gun-registry that was costing over $2 billion (too costly, and I agree)
2) The purchase of 65 friend-35 military jets that can cost $18 billion (which I think we need)
3) Lowering corporate taxes from 17.5 to 15% (which I also agree upon, because it should create more jobs here and open the doors to more foreign companies as it gets more attractive to operate/manufacture in Canada, and it also helps with exports to offset the higher Canadian dollar )

Anyways, can't find the newsclip from yesterday, as they compared Canada's economy with the US one.
A healthy 3.9% GDP growth up north, compared to a sluggish 2% south.
Home prices here are reaching record highs, while down south record lows.
Unemployment here at 7.6% nationwide, compared to over 9% in the US.

And in case pickup missed it : Harper has a majority Government for the next 4 years, and is untouchable. He can fart and still pass any new law, on his own, he sees fit !
Exactly what the doctor ordered : A firm Government in control. He is the leader of our country and can make split decisions without needing to debate them first.
He carries a lot of weight on his shoulders, just as recently in France at the G20 meeting. If he signs a deal, it's done !

Just the fact of having a stable firm government in control for the next 4 years, without any political changes, creates a more business friendly enviroment and more Investors/ments into our economy/country.

I suppose we'll find out in 4 years time how this went for us, but my bet is, that Canada's Economy will continue to widen itself from the US, while the US will get closer to that of Mexico's !

over9five

Staff member
I suppose we'll find out in 4 years time how this went for us, but my bet is, that Canada's Economy will continue to widen itself from the US, while the US will get closer to that of Mexico's !

Thank goodness. I almost thought he would leave out the "Canada is better than US" part....

klein

From my facebook (yup, I am a fb fan of Harper) :

Jun 4 / 4 juin

Stephen Harper asked
We have a new family member, a grey tabby, what do you think he should be named?

Smokie

320 votes

• 320 people
Vingt-quatre

40 votes

• 40 people
Stanley

958 votes

• 958 people
3 More...

klein

Stephen Harper
Stanley is the winning name! Thank you to those who voted. Stanley was adopted from the Ottawa Humane Society. We encourage everyone to adopt their animals from the many wonderful animal shelters across the country

Stephen Harper : "We must distract the idiots from our true intent. What can we do? Aha! FaceBook kittens!"

Klein: " Awwww.... so cute!"