Steps To Becoming A Full Time Supervisor

KidUPS

What are the steps from going to part time supervisor to full time supervisors?

What are the best methods to getting yourself promoted to Full time supervisor.

Any input from those who are there or been there appreciated.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
you need to put in a letter of intent...that will get you on the list.

i wouldnt hold your breath, there is a freeze on promotions right now.

beentheredonethat

What are the steps from going to part time supervisor to full time supervisors?

What are the best methods to getting yourself promoted to Full time supervisor.

Any input from those who are there or been there appreciated.

Salesguy was right, you need to fill in a letter of intent. Your chances of getting promoted with a college degree is very slim. If you are going to college for a degree, then your chances improve. Besides getting or working on your degree, then getting a mentor who you work with (Supv\Mgr) that can help you is very beneficial. Some managers could care less about promoting their people (esp their good ones). Since they think they are losing a good PT supv. The better managers are the ones that actively promote their own people. What ends up happening is all the qualified supvs want to work for him and then get promoted.

tieguy

Banned
1) Get your degree

2) excell at your current position

3) Do some soul searching . Make sure you're willing to make the committment.

4) submit letter of intent.

5) complete mapp process

6) when promoted lead with integrity and lead by example. I'm tired of explaining why some management shirk from responsibilities or use less then ethical methods.

rocket man

IF YOU HAVE TO ASK ON THIS... YOUR QUALIFIED. GO to your center managers office tell him move his stuff out and take over. say i wanna be alow life rat your qualified.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
1. sell your soul to UPS
2. get rid of anyone in your way
3. kiss your boss's ass
4. ?????????
5. PROFIT!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
6) when promoted lead with integrity and lead by example. I'm tired of explaining why some management shirk from responsibilities or use less then ethical methods.

Probably because the ones who take your advice and lead "with integrity" will wind up as 53 yr. old on-car sups with no hope of promotion.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
(1) have a catscan done.
(2) repeat as many more times needed, until they find that loose screw
(3) you have to be the laziest driver in your entire district

trickpony1

....start telling small insignificant lies to your family and friends NOW.

By the time you get into FT management you will feel no guilt, remorse or sorrow for lieing to your employees.

Ups_ER

1) Get your degree

2) excell at your current position

3) Do some soul searching . Make sure you're willing to make the committment.

4) submit letter of intent.

5) complete mapp process

Only good response to this post. Everyone else just trollled along

Ptrunner

Only good response to this post. Everyone else just trollled along

No not really, everyone pretty much just told the truth. Tie yes had the best descriptive post. When he put soul searching that pretty much meant, getting your conscience ready to screwing hard workers out of work comp, getting days off, making sure everyone works in a safe environment, putting the appropriate work on drivers and the list can go and on and on.

And yes there are people of the union who deserve to be treated like they do as they take their job for granted. I would say there is a lot more souless supervisors then there are useless union employees.

Overpaid Union Thug

1) Learn how to read and create a spreadsheet on Excel
2) Understand that the numbers are more important than service
3) Learn how to alter said numbers to meet the goals of the supervisors above

That is basically it. :)

tieguy

Banned
No not really, everyone pretty much just told the truth. Tie yes had the best descriptive post. When he put soul searching that pretty much meant, getting your conscience ready to screwing hard workers out of work comp, getting days off, making sure everyone works in a safe environment, putting the appropriate work on drivers and the list can go and on and on.

And yes there are people of the union who deserve to be treated like they do as they take their job for granted. I would say there is a lot more souless supervisors then there are useless union employees.

I never realized you were looking for a little sympathy? Let your sup know monday that you would like him to join you in a little crying session before you go out and deliver your load. :happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
1) Learn how to read and create a spreadsheet on Excel
2) Understand that the numbers are more important than service
3) Learn how to alter said numbers to meet the goals of the supervisors above

That is basically it. :)

service is part of the numbers we chase. I realize that your perspective of good service will differ from the sups. You have to understand that we have the advantage of not knowing your customers and what they need.:happy-very:

KidUPS

I find that statement rather silly. The majority of supervisors were hard working union employees who wanted to better themselves and their company. Now in most operations you have about 1 or 2 supervisors for everyone 10+ employees. Normally out of that batch of employees, you have 2 or 3 union employees who drag their feet and attempt everyday to do the bare minimum.

They're some supervisors that are indeed intent on moving up with the company by being extremely harsh or doing whatever it takes to meet numbers. However, for the most part, supervisors are employees who have expectations from both management and union employees and often are just doing their job running a business. And just because you get written up for missing work because your child or mother was sick does not mean they are soul less. It just means they are trying to protect their business.