Stevie Ray Vaughan ::: Gone too soon

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I often drive the Rock Freeway. As I get to the rolling hills which define Alpine Valley, I remember what we lost. You don't have to know this road to understand the sadness. You just need to know what was lost.

(Thread for @wkmac ...with respect. And I also think of you when I catch Night Ranger live clips...AJ)

Last edited by a moderator:

BrownArmy

What an incredible guitarist.

Hendrix was one of his heroes, and he played the same model electric guitar as Hendrix (Fender Stratocaster).

SRV strung the guitar with a string gauge two measures higher than Hendrix - he wanted the tone from the thicker gauge strings. The thicker the string, the thicker the tone.

But it's a feat of strength playing the blues on a guitar with strings that thick - SRV played 12's (the number designates the gauge of the thinnest string), and 12's are generally used by guitar players who don't bend the strings so much - think jazz.

So, SRV was killing Hendrix covers and performing his own songs on these tree-trunk strings, bending them like it was nothing.

For comparison, Hendrix was using 10's (two sizes smaller), and Jimmy Page was using 8's (four sizes smaller).

OK, guitar-geek stuff over.

----------------------------

RIP, gone too soon.

wkmac

(Thread for @wkmac ...with respect. And I also think of you when I catch Night Ranger live clips...AJ)

Just for you AJ. ;)

Speaking of Night Ranger, my daughter with Jack Blades during soundcheck at one of the HardRock resorts I think in Cancun in 2012'

Video of this same crew playing back around Christmas.

Her younger sister, the drummer, also now doing the music biz. Her band in studio recording literally as we speak and is hooked up with management team connected too Zac Brown. In talks to play Boonaroo next summer. Already told work if this goes down, screw UPS, I'm gone to Boonaroo.

wkmac

Just for you AJ. ;)

Speaking of Night Ranger, my daughter with Jack Blades during soundcheck at one of the HardRock resorts I think in Cancun in 2012'

Her younger sister, the drummer in the family, also now doing the music biz. Her band in studio recording literally as we speak and is hooked up with management team connected too Zac Brown. In talks to play Boonaroo next summer. Already told work if this goes down, screw UPS, I'm gone to Boonaroo.

Future

Victory Ride
Just for you AJ. ;)

Her younger sister, the drummer, also now doing the music biz. Her band in studio recording literally as we speak and is hooked up with management team connected too Zac Brown. In talks to play Boonaroo next summer. Already told work if this goes down, screw UPS, I'm gone to Boonaroo.
Just saw Night Ranger 2-3 weeks ago at a County fair.....They still can jam....Freakin played a OZZY song lol....Balls on

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Funny he got booed at the Montreux Jazz Festival. The sophisticated European crowd there was laboring under the impression that only a black musician could play the Blues well. Luckily David Bowie was there and knew a good thing when he saw it.