STEWARD ELECTIONS...FINALLY!?????

badseed290

So, United Action is on the job here at the 251. The masses are on the hunt for all of that "change" they've promised. You know, the platform they ran on? We all had to endure the leaflets, the handouts, the crowds bombarding you as you're walking into the building. The insessant yammering on about how awful the Membership Slate was. So, two days in and let's see how they're doing with holding up their end of the bargain. Well, WE were told (via their website) that WE would now have a voice in shaping the "new union". That WE should have the RIGHT to vote for our stewards. And have they lived up to their words? NEGATIVE! My stewards have been appointed, just as they were with the Membership Slate. "But you said that WE should have the right to ELECT stewards". Was that just the first of the lies and empty promises? Has anyone from the 251 received a ballot? No, we had to learn through the grapevine exactly who would be representing us. Is this OK with you? Are you good with the immediate deception? They speak of backroom deals...is this not one of them? Be afraid people...be very afraid. The hailstorm is coming and WE will suffer because of it.

Sent using BrownCafe App
1388842539050.jpg

badseed290

Currently it is defined as...A worker, TYPICALLY ELECTED, who officially represents other workers on the job, enforces the contract and helps settle grievances.

via BadSeed290

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
badseed290,

What does the Local 251 By-Laws state regarding how Shop Stewards are selected?

Sincerely,
I

He must not know what "By-laws" are.

Currently it is defined as...A worker, TYPICALLY ELECTED, who officially represents other workers on the job, enforces the contract and helps settle grievances.

via BadSeed290

Thats a dictionary definition of what a steward is.

Your Local Union's "By-laws" dictate whether they are elected or appointed.... in your Local.

They might have to be amended.... by vote.... from the members of your Local.

-Bug-

badseed290

So for the sake of discussion, put yourself in the shoes of the typical driver. All events leading up to their taking control indicate that they will be above board. The old regime, as they see it, have run the local into the ground. Common man thinks, change is coming. I get a voice. Now we are left scratching our heads wondering why we were not allowed to have our say. Now, United Action has killed more trees printing handouts than one could count. They've expressed their discontent time and time again. They want to drive change. What baffles me is why they fail to communicate or signal their intentions. I want my voice. I want the opportunity to go all in. What I don't want is to be sold on "the right to elect" then told "this is how it's going to be". Regarding your comment "Big Union Guy"...you are correct. My knowledge of the By Laws are weak at best. But the fact of the matter is, I am the guy they need to reach. The guy who has a rudimentary understanding of the under belly. They want to change perception, then they need to do a better job getting the word out.

via BadSeed290

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So for the sake of discussion, put yourself in the shoes of the typical driver. All events leading up to their taking control indicate that they will be above board. The old regime, as they see it, have run the local into the ground. Common man thinks, change is coming. I get a voice. Now we are left scratching our heads wondering why we were not allowed to have our say. Now, United Action has killed more trees printing handouts than one could count. They've expressed their discontent time and time again. They want to drive change. What baffles me is why they fail to communicate or signal their intentions. I want my voice. I want the opportunity to go all in. What I don't want is to be sold on "the right to elect" then told "this is how it's going to be". Regarding your comment "Big Union Guy"...you are correct. My knowledge of the By Laws are weak at best. But the fact of the matter is, I am the guy they need to reach. The guy who has a rudimentary understanding of the under belly. They want to change perception, then they need to do a better job getting the word out.

via BadSeed290

I get it.... I really do.

They are in office for 2 days.... they are probably still trying to figure out the coffee maker.

If none of them have been elected before.... there is a learning curve involved.

Give it a chance.

-Bug-

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Steward appointments should be posted on any and all union bulletin boards in the local's jurisdiction.

Keep in mind, these can take up to a week to be printed, mailed, and disseminated. Provisions for elections might be able to happen with that language under the by-laws ("typically elected") but these things take time to setup (nominations, negotiating when/where/how to do so at each barn) and make happen.

They've been in office two days. Give 'em a :censored2:ing break.

Now, if spring is around the corner and there hasn't been any movement or notice on the issue.. then they need to be held accountable. Also -- just being the devil's advocate here - - it wouldn't be out of bounds to assume that the stewards that have been appointed in this interim period are going to have a "leg-up" on any contenders by already having had some time to build a rapport with the members. But appointing interim stewards wouldn't be unethical, as the local needs stewards in order to work for the members.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
One last thing on my way out the door.. I don't know how you boys do things up north, but there's absolutely no reason that the local should incur the expense of mailing out prepaid postage ballots to the members for a steward election. On top of that, it'd be a :censored2:ing mess as maintaining member-in-good-standing lists are already a problem. Let's use UPS for example: it might not be an issue for FT drivers, but trying to send out ballots to PT'ers based on shift would be a nightmare as many PT employees routinely change shifts.

In my experience, they're typically held at the individual barns for the classification/shift and handled by the BA.

badseed290

@PiedmontSteward: My bone of contention is the lack of communication. We are dealing with a top down overhaul. People are cautious. If this is an interim appointment then I'm fine with that. But it must be communicated as such. Like I said, they've killed more trees than one can count leading up to this event. And it's not like January 1st was a surprise. Instead of capitilizing on the moment and hit the ground running, they choose a mediocre start at best.

via BadSeed290

Integrity

Binge Poster
@PiedmontSteward: My bone of contention is the lack of communication. We are dealing with a top down overhaul. People are cautious. If this is an interim appointment then I'm fine with that. But it must be communicated as such. Like I said, they've killed more trees than one can count leading up to this event. And it's not like January 1st was a surprise. Instead of capitilizing on the moment and hit the ground running, they choose a mediocre start at best.

via BadSeed290
badseed290,

I have to agree that one of the worst aspects of most organized groups is communication.

Sincerely,
I

Ouch

Wait, you went from stewards being appointed, to giving a dictionary definition of what a steward is, to now handing out pamplets. Do you even know whats going on in your local? Have you gone to the hall and met these guys. They have been in office 2 days and your ready to behead them. You need to take a deep breath. You said they were appointed now your saying if it is temporary your okay with that. If it was me I believe before I made accusations of how my local is run I would be finding out facts. You dont spend near enough time at the local.

badseed290

Back up. I'm not looking to behead anyone. It was explained to me by Piedmont how the process works as he sees it. Made sense to me. So the process of this discussion on the surface was successful. You have a member that is not happy with the roll out (ie ME). I'm not hiding that. What have I accused UA of? Falling short? Guilty as charged. Listen, I was as critical of the old administration as I am of this one. Two days...don't care. They had lead time. Take advantage of it. Get the word out. Don't rely on the "grapevine". Don't rely on the "yes men". Execution is a big thing. I'm not so jaded where I think 2-days in and the leadership is a failure. I have a problem with the rollout and the lack of communication regarding stewards. Oh no...I was critical of the new guys...holy @$#&...not that!

via BadSeed290