Steward Union Dues

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I pay full union dues, as do all the UPS stewards in my Local.

I actually prefer it that way. Since I gain nothing financially, I cannot be accused of having selfish or ulterior motives. And for a full time package driver, $74 a month in dues is pocket change anyway.

Amen to that! Far greater satisfaction in helping folks for the sake of making the situation better. No free ride here either, but surprisingly some folks still think our Stewards don't pay, when in fact they pay dues and usually some other incidentals like postage, not to mention being on call 24/7.

JonFrum

Guys
Thanks for all the responses. I'm especially interested in bringing up Jonforums comments about the constitutional bylaws. . .

You can get a copy of your Local's Bylaws by formally requesting one from your Local Secretary-Treasurer, or by asking any steward that seems agreeable. (They will still look at you like you have two heads.)

A typical set of bylaws is available on this website:
http://www.co294.com/

See Section 28 for the proceedures for amending the bylaws.
http://www.co294.com/documents/bylaws.pdf

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I get to my full time job @ 7:30AM go to Ups @ 5:30 usually get done @ 9:00PM unless I walk the hub after I clock out . I pay my own dues and only stay on the clock if I am representing an employee. I am only a steward to help the people.My full time job is a pressure cooker and I don't need the extra stress of being a steward but the people need help sometimes. I can speak up without fear because I have a well paying full time job and there is a certain feeling of security in that. The people I admire are the stewards that only work at UPS and go to bat for their fellow employees day in and day out whether they pay dues or not. They are my heroes

I would think that this would be a concern only if you were being disrespectful toward your mgt team. An effective steward is one who is able to represent the employee with resolve and respect.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I would think that this would be a concern only if you were being disrespectful toward your mgt team. An effective steward is one who is able to represent the employee with resolve and respect.

I am am always polite,respectful ,even toned ,and bussiness like. I have only lost my temper once much to my regret. I let the sup get the upper hand by provoking me. This will never happen again I may loose the argument but not my composure. As to the speaking up part there seems to be a general consensus in my location and I have read it on BC that those who speak up recieve the mngt. bullseye.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Raising your voice and letting management know your angry can be a useful tool if used properly. I have and probably will be again been very, very animated with my center manager.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
We paid our dues each payday. And did not get any back.

As a steward, any time representing an employee is paid for, but doing research and background investigations is not. So many dont, which is too bad for the people they represent.

I poured my all into each and every good grievance. No one can claim that I did not represent them properly, or I had ulterior motives. If you are into it for the money, bragging rights, ax to grind with management etc, then you are into it for all the wrong reasons. You are to be there to serve your fellow employees, nothing more.

d

iamhuge

Banned
I pay full dues. Any money a steward makes on grievances, can be made by any non steward. Just have to file. I would love for more fellow drivers to file grievances.