Stewards meeting with new hires in right to work states

BrownBrokeDown

In my facility, on my shift, there is no meetings between the Union and new hires, whether official or unofficial. Most of the new hires that join the Union are due to us pters that repeatedly talk to them about it. I am thinking of going to the BA and seeing if something can be arranged, but want to get some info from others before I go.

Basically, what I am looking for is if you are in a Right to Work state then:

1.) Does your stewards meet with the new hires?
2.) If yes, is it on the clock or off the clock?
3.) How long do they speak with the new hire?
4.) Is it in the 30 days, or after the 30 days?
5.) Does your local hold any sort of joining get together? If so, how often? (for example, I have heard that about a year before I started they had a cookout at the facility trying to get people to join.)
6.) What local (optional)? The reason I am asking for this is so that if I run into any "we can't do that" I will have specific examples to prove that we can.

Thank you.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It has been purposed in my local, but has not yet been implemented, that an additional amount of money be charged to a new hires initiation fee with the intent of refunding the money if they attend a union orientation meeting.
We aren't in a right to work state and I realize it won't work in a right to work state, but I think it's a pretty good idea.

Dogbill

In my facility, on my shift, there is no meetings between the Union and new hires, whether official or unofficial. Most of the new hires that join the Union are due to us pters that repeatedly talk to them about it. I am thinking of going to the BA and seeing if something can be arranged, but want to get some info from others before I go.

5.) Does your local hold any sort of joining get together? If so, how often? (for example, I have heard that about a year before I started they had a cookout at the facility trying to get people to join.)
6.) What local (optional)? The reason I am asking for this is so that if I run into any "we can't do that" I will have specific examples to prove that we can.

Thank you.

I was just complaining to myself about this this morning. I'm in a RTW state. No union steward ever approached me about joining. I've been with UPS for 3 years, now, and still no one has said anything to me about it. I've brought it up more than several times in the past, but it's like talking to a brick wall.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Thank you.

1) Yes.
2 & 3) Yes -- for 15 minutes, as per the contract.
4) This is during their 1 week orientation (classroom time) typically on their first day. We previously did it after their second tour and they were "officially" hired (this is how I did it when I was first hired) but that's changed. Many locals have a short video/DVD they play (Local 728 has a good one on YouTube*) but most locals simply have stewards explain what the union does for the members.
5) No, but the safety co-chair on my sort has some type of activity where new hires can sit in on an (unpaid) meal (food provided by safety committee) at the end of sort with safety committee members. It's one of the few decent things our CHSP union chair does.

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suNS5GCuqhY

Overpaid Union Thug

Anyone can take the initiative and talk to new hires (or seniority employees that are not members) themselves about joining. I do it sometimes. Doesn't have to be a steward. I've even tried to convince drivers to join that had nearly 20 years company seniority on me. We don't have but a few of those though. And most of them were members before and withdrew.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The Steward on each shift had the opportunity to meet with the new hires for 15 minutes during their orientation here. They explain the benefits of being a member and give them the membership form. This is paid time for the Steward.

We have a couple get together every year to give back to the membership. Usually free entry to a sporting event and free food while there. Something like a local dirt track race or minor league hockey or baseball game. Not so much to encourage signing up, just as a way to show appreciation to the membership.

WESLA

It is what it is
[/QUOTE]

I was just complaining to myself about this this morning. I'm in a RTW state. No union steward ever approached me about joining. I've been with UPS for 3 years, now, and still no one has said anything to me about it. I've brought it up more than several times in the past, but it's like talking to a brick wall.[/QUOTE]

3 years? That's sad. Maybe you should become a steward and try and make a change at your center.

ronroper

I wish I were in a RTW state, I would stop paying dues.
At my shop we have not had a union meeting in 5 years, we signed cards that day and that was it, we got a new president and business agent last year that none of us have ever met since they took office, we have not heard a single word from them about our contract (but most have called the hall and left messages with no reply) nor do we have a shop steward since I resigned last October due to the local not supporting me or my grievances ( I found myself fighting more with my local than management)

Tough Guy

I'm almost 2 years in and I couldn't even pick my steward out of a lineup. There is virtually little to no union knowledge or communication in my building.

cynic

Being a PT'er in a RTW state is not easy, no one "wants" to join, they do not see the value. I grew up in New York so I'm very familiar with organized labor and the benefits provided to workers, and now I live in the South. We don't have a steward on our sort (Tues-Sat) but he is there Mon-Fri. I talked to our BA to find out what was required to become a steward and I'm willing to make the commitment, understand it would be literally all volunteer hours on my part. (I thank our steward every time I talk to him!!) The one thing holding me back is UPS is my part time job and I'm VERY concerned I would not represent someone correctly in a disciplinary meeting for their full-time job. Because we're so under-represented I don't feel I have had a good "role model" to follow as I only see him when I have a question or have filed.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

Personally I've never been notified of an orientation, but I know some Stewards who did handle orientations. My own orientation did not have a Union presence.

It has been on the clock, but I wouldn't let the pay issue interfere with the opportunity.

Generally we get 10 minutes at Orientation.

At Orientation

No, but our Hall is open regular business hours M-friend and usually there is something going on every Saturday so anyone could come by and sign up at that time.

Local 104

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/...hires-right-work-states-351838/#ixzz2bQTAqdxZ

cynic

I usually meet with every new hire within days of starting. My approach would be different in a RTW state though.

How so? I'm in a RTW state and disgusted at the low PT membership - it's why the National passed (IMO) as all the FT'ers were already stuck in the CSP.

MethodsMan

Most of the PT'ers are too young and naive to understand how much the union could benefit them. Can't really blame them though as most don't plan on being with the company too long anyways.

stink219

I usually meet with every new hire within days of starting. My approach would be different in a RTW state though.

How so? I'm in a RTW state and disgusted at the low PT membership - it's why the National passed (IMO) as all the FT'ers were already stuck in the CSP.
My approach in a RTW state would be standing outside the guard shack with my Louisville Slugger making sure the fill out their cards.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
My approach in a RTW state would be standing outside the guard shack with my Louisville Slugger making sure the fill out their cards.

Or maybe have a big breasted woman in a tight top handing out the union cards outside the front gate..then maybe raffle off a few video games...I'm sure you would have 90% of the pt'ers signing up...not the most classy way of doing things but it would probably work.

stink219

Or maybe have a big breasted woman in a tight top handing out the union cards outside the front gate..then maybe raffle off a few video games...I'm sure you would have 90% of the pt'ers signing up...not the most classy way of doing things but it would probably work.
Lmao!! You are prob correct.

Overpaid Union Thug

You'd get laughed. Even by union members. Many of the people you'd be trying to intimidate have something in the trunk or glove compartment of their cars that would make you piss yourself even as you are holding that bat. And we would say "Welcome to a RTW state!" ;)