Sticker on package

Nate1102

Everytime time I get a UPS there is an extra sticker with my name and address, a bunch of numbers and there is no barcode on it. Curiously what is this sticker for?

brown67

It's a loading label. Barcode is scanned and a label is generated for sorting the package. Info on it is what belt it gets sorted too, truck it's loaded on, where its loaded on truck.

STFXG

That sticker has all the information from the package. All your info, shipper info and contents. UPS then sells all that info to companies for consumer research. It also turns it over to the government. It's all in a database somewhere...

jaker

trolling
That sticker has all the information from the package. All your info, shipper info and contents. UPS then sells all that info to companies for consumer research. It also turns it over to the government. It's all in a database somewhere...
And fedex just like leaving extra blank piece of paper for no reason

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Brown67 is correct. We call it a PAL, stands for something like Preload Assist Label. It tells the inside people where to sort and load the package so it supposedly is easy for the delivery driver to find it on his route.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Brown67 is correct. We call it a PAL, stands for something like Preload Assist Label. It tells the inside people where to sort and load the package so it supposedly is easy for the delivery driver to find it on his route.
The key word being "supposedly" lol

oldngray

nowhere special
Yeah, I threw that word in there on purpose, I make a lot of OT hunting for them!

In 29 years, I have never had a perfect load where every package is set up stop for stop.

I did once I think. I was running a route blind and could just pull the next package off the shelf with no idea of the area I was delivering in.

Shryp

Technically they scan the density barcode (bullseye), not the 1Z barcode.

I worked preload once or twice when they switched from the stickers to the ink stamp things in my building and those scanners could scan either. I got one with a barcode that wouldn't scan and the guy next to me said just scan the bullseye thing and I was shocked that worked. :)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
MaxiCode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maxicode is the square barcode made out of dots. I don't think it went over as well as originally planned. It was supposed to be about a hundred numbers that would record things like the shipper number, address, and customer invoices among other things. I don't think that my DIAD reads it, basically just the scanners in hubs use it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
In 29 years, I have never had a perfect load where every package is set up stop for stop.

I had my old route set up in EDD almost stop for stop. And when the preloader would load it as such it was magnificent. I could be off the clock at 4:30 with a full hour lunch.

Yeah, I threw that word in there on purpose, I make a lot of OT hunting for them!

I had one perfect load. It was on my three day OJS. My sup had 2 preloaders in my truck to make sure the load was perfect. Labor was thrilled to death when I had 2 signed Affidavits from my loaders telling him the same thing! It was great my Oc center manager and Dv crapped themselves!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
MaxiCode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maxicode is the square barcode made out of dots. I don't think it went over as well as originally planned. It was supposed to be about a hundred numbers that would record things like the shipper number, address, and customer invoices among other things. I don't think that my DIAD reads it, basically just the scanners in hubs use it.

Diad5 has the reader to read the square QR style bar code but it won't be available until a future software push.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Diad5 has the reader to read the square QR style bar code but it won't be available until a future software push.

UPS got the patent on Maxicode something like 21 years ago, its about time we use it. I think the original idea was to give more info during tracking, for example it would show exactly which packages arrived in a multiple package delivery.

Last edited: